Frequent Visitor
ShannonFos
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-28-2012

Dealing with new diagnosis

Hi all

I'm 35 and have slowly been inching towards diabetes and my doctor told me yesterday I am no officially a diabetic.  My a1c was 6.8.  I had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my kids and a family history of it on both sides.  I had been trying to make small changes but I love my sweets so I guess that is what did me in.  My doctor did switch me from Metformin to Janumet.  My tummy and the Metformin did not get along.  I do workout too.  I am preparing to do the 3 day breast cancer walk in October so I am walking everyday...couch potato to a 7 mile walker woohoo

What is really disheartening is grocery shopping.  Things that are advertised as healthy shocked me by how many carbs there were.So I just feel a little lost and ticked off that I met myself get to this point.  SO I had my pity party yesterday and today I'm at "it is what it is and I need to change it"

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dealing with new diagnosis

Hi Shannon, welcome.:smileyhappy:

It really is an eye-opener isn't it?  Don't worry though, in time all of this will become second nature to you.  I wrote this to help new people out, click on the title:

What Can I Eat????

And I also think it will help you a lot to read this:

Don't Should All Over Yourself 

There are also other posts in my "Newly Diagnosed" section that you might find helpful.

Hang in there,

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Hi Shannon,

I totally can relate to your frustration at the grocery store-when I was first dx'ed I spent probably 1-2 hours just wandering aimlessly and reading labels in the grocery store, and it was extremely frustrating and discouraging-EVERYTHING you liked or think is "healthy" turns out to be not so much so, carb-wise...I was shocked too, at oatmeal and cheerios...REALLY spiked my BG in the morning, so okay, no more of that :smileymad:...My main question was "WHAT CAN I ACTUALLY EAT THAT ISN'T WEIRD OR GROSS????!!!!

At first, it is a science experiment, with your body being the guinea pig :smileywink:. What I did was try to keep a reasonable number of carbs (for me, <10 in the morning, 10-15 snacks, lunch about 30-40, dinner 40-50) and test right before I ate, and at 1 hour after, then 2 hours after each meal...you can really burn through the test strips at first, but that was the best way for me to find my peak (typically 1 hour after I eat my last bite), and what foods didn't spike my bg.

Now that I have some basic foods, it has made shopping wayyyyy less stressful-I also will test when I add a new food menu item or eat out at a restaurant, I am always trying to put new foods into "rotation" LOL

As you read through the posts here, (which is a wonderful way to get so much helpful information and guidance) you will see the term YMMV-your mileage may vary-that is probably the cornerstone of diabetes control...some of us can eat 25 g carbs for breakfast, others, 5 g is too many-I can eat grapes with no huge spikes...but oatmeal, with a comparable amount of carbs, spikes me HUGELY...

Another newbie tip-if you are looking for recipes the ones that are low carb, as opposed to diabetic recipes, are best-often the "diabetic recipes" are too high carb for most of us.

Honestly, it really does get easier in time-but wow, those first few weeks are pretty awful-just hang in there! 

Welcome and please post any question even if you think it is silly-I'm sure someone here has experienced it :smileywink:

Cordially,

Sue

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Im also in your shoes, trying to,figure out what to eat, and not eat. I have found that I am highly sensitive to products containing aspertame and sucralose. Two manmade artificial sweeteners. I have to shop for over two hours every time. I have found stevia, its a natural sweetener made from the leaf of the stevia plant. I am also on janumet, the side effects go away after a while. I also take lantus insulin at night. I was diagnosed with 427 sugar level, with a 14.3 a1c. With a good diet, I have it down to a 7.2. While this is still high, its better than what is was. Ill get it checked again here soon. Eat lots of salads, fruits n veggies, whole grain carbs. I get sara lee bread and only eat uncle sam cereal. But everybody is different, test and find out what works for you.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

whole grain carbs

Bear in mind, however, that whole grain carbs may be better from a nutritional standpoint, but they affect your BG numbers the same way that any other carbs do so you have to control them.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
tx_belle
Total Posts: 81
Registered on: ‎07-25-2011

as far as grocery shopping goes i got the belly fat for diabetics book.  it is basically how to lose weight (which i needed to) with foods friendly to diabetics.  what was nice was it had a grocery list at the back of the book you could tear out and take with you.  i think its a 30 day diet.  that was so helpful plus just having something to go by as far as menu planning was helpful

Frequent Visitor
ShannonFos
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-28-2012

Thank you all for the welcome and words of encouragement. 

So Janumet users...How do you like it?  My doctor said it may even curb my appetite in that it makes me feel fuller faster.

I am just a carbaholic so that's going to take some time getting used to.  I think what is going to be my biggest problem is veggies.  I am not a fan of veggies and the ones I do like are the bad ones...bye bye corn  :-)

Lizzy I am going to definitely check out your blog, I saw it mentioned in some other posts for newbies.

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

ShannonFos wrote:

So Janumet users...How do you like it?  My doctor said it may even curb my appetite in that it makes me feel fuller faster.

Shannon,

I have had no problems with Janumet beside the cost! Whew! I don't find it makes me fuller faster, I am pretty much hungry all the time.

I will be doing an experiment though-Got just metformin, and am going to try that for a week, test, test, test, and then we'll look over my meter numbers, and decide if just the metformin works (it's FREE at my pharmacy!) or if the Janumet is the best med for me...

Cordially,

Sue

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,422
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

ShannonFos wrote:

I am just a carbaholic so that's going to take some time getting used to.  I think what is going to be my biggest problem is veggies.  I am not a fan of veggies and the ones I do like are the bad ones...bye bye corn  :-)

Lizzy I am going to definitely check out your blog, I saw it mentioned in some other posts for newbies.

Shannon, it's not necessarily bye bye corn or any veggie you like.  You can probably have SOME (start with a smaller amount and work your way up to what your meter shows to be ok) with some type of meat or seafood.  You have to test to find out.  Try some butter on the corn, that will probably help reducing the spike as well as the protein from the meat and/or seafood.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Occasional Visitor
aknaus
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎03-29-2012

Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I'm taking my metformin 2x a day but I don't feel 100% and at times lightheaded.  I had better days when I was just taking 1 pill a day.  I think I need to get an MRI, I get a quick pain on the left side of my chest behind the breast.  I don't have any breathing problems and my EKG came back fine.  Has anyone had this symtom?

I'm counting carbs and exercising 30 minutes a day.  I can't wait until I have this under control and not have worry about it as much as I do.  Call me a worrier.