Responder
pattibarnard
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎04-14-2012

Confused as how to ck what foods are affecting me???

Hi,
I am way confused about all this. My weight started at 114 lbs i am 5 ft 1/2 in. I clean houses for a living so i am active I am 54 menopausal but just started taking bio-identical hormones to help with hot flashes with all that blood work every thing was normal cholesterol kidney liver panel etc but sugar showed high 106 and Aic high 5.8 Just barely so Dr says cut out carbs
done really well however first week dropped to 111 thats ok but really dont want to lose to much more than that.
did buy meter so i could see what is going on so decided to check twice a week to see what is going on
on wed woke up tested it was 89 great.....
on sat today. I wake up tested  it's 128.what the hell is that?
ate good all day before.. did have one slice of genesis bread with eggs salad sandwich which i ate in two divided times at half for breakfast went to work ate other 1/2 two hours later then had a celery with peanut butter fresh ground no sugar added and tacos for dinner on a lettuce leaf as the wrap
so now what? more confused about eating????
this moring 2 eggs waited two hr tested again it was 140 which was normal i think suppose to be under 180 about 2 hrs after a meal
getting ready to go food shopping soooooooooo confused and angry too cause now i eat to control this and not enjoying food
what do i do ?

Do I test now after every meal? and in the mornings?

right now No refined foods at all

just meat and vegetables

and a protein drink i make with water no fruit

so am i getting enough? or not enough?

that is the question.

thanks for listening to my rambling

Patti

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 6,016
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Confused as how to ck what foods are affecting me???

[ Edited ]

Welcome Patti, here's what is in that one slice of Genesis Bread, this is copied from the Food For Life website. The brown rice and corn, highlighted in red, are high in carbs, I do not know about the other grains and seeds listed. The food For Life website does not show the nutritional information that would show the amount of carbs in grams in each slice of bread. So it very important to read the labels while you are in the store.

• Teff from the highlands of Ethiopia
  • Black Quinoa from the mountainous regions of Peru
  • Barley from the ancient Holy Land
  • Brown Rice and Spelt from the Far East
  • Amaranth and Chia from Central and South America
  • Soy from China's past
  • Flax and Rye from Northern Europe
  • Corn from Old Mexico
  • Kamut from Ancient Egypt
  • Millet and Sorghum from the plains of Africa
  • Sesame Seeds from the Near East
  • Pumpkin Seeds from the Mediterranean
  • Spring Wheat and Unprocessed Bran from Montana
  • Sunflower Seeds from the Dakotas

As far as the 128 you had this morning. You could have experienced a "liver Dump". That happens when the liver thinks that it has to release glucose into your bloodstream during the night and does not stop until you are awake for a couple of hours.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.3 on 12/3/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,537
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Hi, Patti.  I think  you're doing fine.  Your bg may be higher some mornings, due to Dawn Phenomenon (please Google) situation in which liver releases glucose in the form of glycogen to help get people energized for the day.  But your liver doesn't know that you have diabetes, so it just goes ahead and does it.  So, we have to try to find ways to deal with it.  My way has always been to make sure that I get enough exercise one day to keep my bg level down overnight.  Some others like to try different types of foods in the evenings, in different portions (I won't go into that, because it's never worked for me).  It's great that you're already active.  You may find, however, as I did, that with diabetes, we need to try to keep up with our fitness levels, in order to exert ourselves enough to boost metabolism enough to keep blood sugar down where it belongs.  So, I try to do a little exercise between meals.  In addition to testing fasting levels, sometimes I test after exercise, or before bed.  That tells me how much more I need to do with my workouts, or how much I need to cut back on my carbs.  Balancing intake with output to see best results on meter, which can be used as a personal trainer type of tool.  Consistency is key, so if you can find the right balance of food, carbs and exercise, and keep amounts consistent, you will better be able to predict the outcome, and when you start seeing more consistent results on your meter, you should be able to cut back on times and amounts of testing.  It depends on what you want to do with the test results, and when.  Patterns will emerge, and then you'll be able to use them to keep bg within more normal range.  Does that make sense?  (I may have out-rambled myself.  LOL)

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
pattibarnard

Hi

thanks for the information James.

I went to look at the bread genesis 1:29  it doesnt have the corn and other your mentioned but i think it was the bread. I did clean a house that day 4 1/2 hrs of cleaning and a moving but maybe it was that? didnt test after that or before i went to bed.

I will check out "liver dump" that is new to me as well 

Again thanks sooo  much

I think i will be visiting this board quite a bit

patti

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Patti, welcome.

It's probably not a good idea to cut all carbs out, and I don't think that's what your doctor meant.

Here's  a post that will tell you how to test, when to test, and all about carbs and what is good for you to eat, click on the title:

Getting Started

Come back and ask any questions you have. 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
jpg391

pattibarnard wrote:

Hi

thanks for the information James.

I went to look at the bread genesis 1:29  it doesnt have the corn and other your mentioned but i think it was the bread. I did clean a house that day 4 1/2 hrs of cleaning and a moving but maybe it was that? didnt test after that or before i went to bed.

I will check out "liver dump" that is new to me as well 

Again thanks sooo  much

I think i will be visiting this board quite a bit

patti

Patti, I would also check out Dawn Phenomenon like Nancy (powerwalker2) suggests. Dawn Phenomenon and a Liver Dump are basically the same thing.

James G

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Patti, I would also check out Dawn Phenomenon like Nancy (powerwalker2) suggests. Dawn Phenomenon and a Liver Dump are basically the same thing.

Actually they're not James.  Dawn Phen. can occur with hormone activity involved in overnight processing of the body, a liver dump usually does not involve these hormones.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
jpg391

lizzylou wrote:

Actually they're not James.  Dawn Phen. can occur with hormone activity involved in overnight processing of the body, a liver dump usually does not involve these hormones.

Lizzy

Thanks for setting me straight.

James G

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
81mg Asprin once a day
Responder
pattibarnard

good morning

well that is a little confusing to me. I will check out both sites thou..... it is confusing lingo to me................

I watched everything i ate yesterday  

my concerns are:

if i am eating enough or not enough?

as long as i am putting something im my mouth every 2 hrs or so and it is a healthy snack  that should help to stabalize BS?

not sure why it was 116 this am?

is cottage cheese a good snake like with tomatoes?

I think i have to just eat and keep refines out. which i have done and maybe improving my sleep will help as well

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,610
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

the only way to find out what is affecting you, and thus what you can eat, is to check a lot until you have a grip.  Check when you wake up, 2 hours after eating, before eating, before bed.  You'll then see what things make your numbers go up more than you want, and what foods, or in what quantities you can handle certain food.  Healthy, and healthy for those of us with impaired glucose tolerance (aka diabetics) is not necessarily the same. 

Once you are comfortable with how you are reacting, you can reduce the testing as you see fit..

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1