Visitor
KrazyWheels
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

Concerned about Family Friend with Diabetes Type 1

I have a close family friend whose son is Autistic and has Type 1 diabetes.

My concern is that his sugar level is out of control.

He is constantly testing n the 300-400 range.

He did a urine strip test 3 weeks ago and it came out bright red.

His mother doesn't really have any diet for him, except he eats what he wants which is whatever is in sight.

He eats a lot of food all day and is very very thin. He is probably 5'6" and weighs maybe 120lbs and he is 20 years old.

I am right to be worried about him?

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Concerned about Family Friend with Diabetes Type 1

KrazyWheels wrote:

I have a close family friend whose son is Autistic and has Type 1 diabetes.

My concern is that his sugar level is out of control.

He is constantly testing n the 300-400 range.

He did a urine strip test 3 weeks ago and it came out bright red.

His mother doesn't really have any diet for him, except he eats what he wants which is whatever is in sight.

He eats a lot of food all day and is very very thin. He is probably 5'6" and weighs maybe 120lbs and he is 20 years old.

I am right to be worried about him?

Hi there KrazyWheels.....of course you should be concerned but the hard work and diet is up to the Mom.  Autism is a battle in itself and she probably has her hands full......it is up to her to NOT BUY or bring the wrong kind of foods into the house.  Many teenagers and young adults that are Type 1 have a hard time living in the real world when their friends are downing pizza and soft drinks and there is rebellion in the masses but most of them come around eventually.

There are lots of questions about the boy but it would be better if the Mom could come here and get some support.

She probably needs you as a friend, try not to be too judgmental..........See ya...............Big Red...............Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Long Lost Member
caandahl
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎12-29-2011

Hi,

I also have a child that has severe autism(non verbal) as well as type 1 diabetes.I know it is harder to control my sons sugar because of his autism and his eating habbits are more like a toddlers.

I agree your friend needs support.Maybe she is overwhelmed,maybe she needs another endo...who knows.Try not to be critical of her,most people have no IDEA what it is like to manage day to day w/ a child w/ autism AND T1 diabetes. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,554
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Yes you have a reason to be worried about him, but not necessarily because he doesn't have a plan that you understand.  He is battling autism and diabetes -- a nasty combination.  To get good control with T1, one must match the insulin to the carbs eaten... weighing the food is a good way to do that.  But with someone with the challenges you outlined, getting that detailed is difficult.  

If you want to help, ask the mom what things you can do to give her a break so that she stays charged to help fight the battle she has been battling.  But only offer if you really want to help...

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1