trisha01
Total Posts: 6,342
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Borderliine type 2. what does it mean when fbs is high but a1c is very good ?

SSC2012 wrote:

Thank you all for this information. I am highly biased against drugs because I have other issues and nothing good ever happens when I take drugs. So if there is any other way, that's what I need to do.

A few days ago I ordered some urine test strips to see if indeed that smell after I ate a lot of sweets was sugar in the urine. They will be here tomorrow. I think they also test other things but my intention was just to see if that was sugar. Are they of any use?

I have not bought a blood glucose monitor because my dr did not recommend it at this time. She said the proper action is the same, diet and exercise and she said the a1c meant the bs was never over 140. I suspect she thinks I am a bit of a hypochodriac wanting to do all this now. I am on the fence on whether to do that and thought I would try the test strips first to see if that is sugar or I am misinterpretting the smell. 

As I mentioned, it is time for a new doctor. The action is NOT the same, iF you are a Type 1, even a slow forming Type 1. Yes, even older folks get Type 1, even into their 90's. It sounded to me as though you may have been assuming *borderline*? That's like being pregnant , you are or you aren't.

Do as your doctor said, of course, but it is YOUR body and YOUR health, not the doctor's.

Lizzy is correct as far as the mold goes. I've never experienced the mold aspect (that I can recall), but I've read where it has happened to many folks. However, that could also be due to a very dampish bathroom.

Good luck to you.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142

Re: Borderliine type 2. what does it mean when fbs is high but a1c is very good ?

[ Edited ]

A question Trisha,

What indication do you have from what SS has written to us that h/she might be a type-1?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,342
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71

Liz,

She did not indicate that she had actually been diagnosed anything, but did mention that her dad was a Type 2. That's why I asked her was she *assuming*. At any rate, since so many doctors are assuming anyone over a certain age is Type 2, it never hurts to have the testing done, to really know which type one is. It beats the hell out of the potential of finding out one's type,should DKA rear its ugly head first, which is ALWAYS a possibility with Type 1, even with LADA (slow forming Type 1).

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

lizzylou

trisha01 wrote:

Liz,

She did not indicate that she had actually been diagnosed anything, but did mention that her dad was a Type 2. That's why I asked her was she *assuming*. At any rate, since so many doctors are assuming anyone over a certain age is Type 2, it never hurts to have the testing done, to really know which type one is. It beats the hell out of the potential of finding out one's type,should DKA rear its ugly head first, which is ALWAYS a possibility with Type 1, even with LADA (slow forming Type 1).

Trisha

I usually wait for some type of indication first.  New people are soooo confused usually that saying something about type often leads to more confusion, tantamount to saying they might be MODY.

But then that's just my opinion, and some think I may be brain damaged.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,462
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

SSC2012 wrote:

For several years now, I have had a fhigh fasting blood sugar (116, 119, now 122) but my a1c is 5.2, 5.1 etc ? My dr tells me the a1c is excellent but no matter what I do, I can't bring down the fasting blood sugar. Is this combination typical of a prediabetic? I am 63 years old and active, slightly overweight but not obese. I do have a family history of type 2 on my father's side. Another thing is that  lately my urine has an odd sweet (? not like candy) odor to it after I have eaten a big meal or something very sweet like pie.  It is not always there. I don't know whether that is related or not. 

Right now my family dr is not very concerned because of the a1c. She recommends diet and exercise but nothing more. 

Hi, SSC ~ It sounds like you are managing pretty well, in spite of the slightly higher fasting level.  The fact that you said you are "active" may have something to do with your overall blood sugar levels being better during the day, and your A1c being in a good range.  But, are you also active in the evening?  A little evening exercise may be helpful in getting your next morning fasting level down lower where you want it, because the effects of exercise continue for several hours or more -- reducing body's insulin resistance and increasing body's own insulin sensitivity.  This metabolic boost can work overnight, even while you're sleeping.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Responder
Ssc2012
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎02-01-2012

No I am not active in the evening and I usually consume most of the calories and starches in the evening. I never thought of it that way.

Besides just fooling the fbs test, would I be improving my health to reorder things so that the calories match the exertion better? Is that a no brainer? I have never thought of it that way. I never go hungry during the day, but i tend to overeat at night. 

I have another question I have never understood about type 2. If insullin insufficiency makes it impossible to store sugar properly as fat, why aren't type 2 diabetics thin? In general it seems to me they tend to be overweight even after diagnosis. How is this possible?

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

SSC2012 wrote:

I have another question I have never understood about type 2. If insullin insufficiency makes it impossible to store sugar properly as fat, why aren't type 2 diabetics thin? In general it seems to me they tend to be overweight even after diagnosis. How is this possible?

Type 2 diabetics typically suffer from resistance to insulin. They actually make lots of insulin but the body cannot use it. I think of it like a key in a rusty lock. The key is the insulin and you can have lots of keys, but if the lock is rusty they don't work, or don't work well. So you cannot open the door and let the glucose in. The glucose stays in the blood and elevates blood glucose.

For reasons that are probably not fully understood, when in this situation of insulin resistance, the fat cells in the stomach organs still accept glucose in preference to those in the rest of the body. For that reason a person with insulin resistance tends to gain weight around the middle. Some even think that excessive fat gives off a hormone that may contribute to insulin resistance.

The simplified cycle kind of goes like this -- weight gain, and excessive fat combined with some genetic issues causes insulin resistance. The insulin resistance in turn causes high blood glucose and guess what -- you have diabetes. That said there are other forms of type 2, but that one is the classic.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Occasional Responder
Ssc2012
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎02-01-2012

Thank you. Then it is quite different than tyoe 1. Yes big middle, skinny arms. Fits.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,462
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Ssc2012 wrote:

Besides just fooling the fbs test, would I be improving my health to reorder things so that the calories match the exertion better? Is that a no brainer? I have never thought of it that way. I never go hungry during the day, but i tend to overeat at night. 

Yes, and yes.  :smileyhappy:  (And by the way, it's not really "fooling" the fbs test.  That is actually where your blood glucose really ends up -- whatever it is, and however you get it there.  People without diabetes don't have to be concerned about that like we do, because for them -- it's automatic -- whereas we have to work at it.)

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou

Ssc2012 wrote:
Thank you. Then it is quite different than tyoe 1. Yes big middle, skinny arms. Fits.

First of all not all type-2's are overweight, and there are type-1's who are.  There's a great deal of evidence that insulin resistance arrives first, which in turn causes weight gain.

A person (of either type) can also have both insulin resistance and insulin deficiency. There are many false statements regarding type-2 and weight.  This I can tell you for sure, and many others on the board can as well, weight gain does not cause diabetes!

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more