Long Lost Member
yankelb
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-20-2011

Blood sugar lower 2 hours after breakfast is lower than before

After  a recent fasting blood sugar of 105 my physician asked that I start testing myself daily before breakfast and  once a day  2 hours after a meal. My average before breakfast is 94. However my average 2 hours later is 92.  This is consistent over several months.  The average 2 hours after lunch and dinner has been 113. In counting my carbs, I find that I take in more carbs during breakfast than during lunch or dinner. So how is it possible that my post breakfast blood sugar is lower than before?  I do not exercise after breakfast.
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,660
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,219
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

After a recent fasting blood sugar of 105 my physician asked that I start testing myself daily before breakfast and once a day 2 hours after a meal. My average before breakfast is 94. However my average 2 hours later is 92. This is consistent over several months. The average 2 hours after lunch and dinner has been 113. In counting my carbs, I find that I take in more carbs during breakfast than during lunch or dinner. So how is it possible that my post breakfast blood sugar is lower than before? I do not exercise after breakfast.

Your blood glucose levels are dynamic, rising and falling quite swiftly after you eat. It is quite possible you are spiking within an hour of your meal and then falling rapidly back to your resting level or even dropping below it.

I recommend that you add some tests to find when you peak after meals and see what is happening over that two hour period between your last bite and the time the doc recommended.

Read more here (click on it): When To Test?

and here: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (What on Earth Can I Eat?)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (BA to Sydney via the Edge of Antarctica)
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

George,

I think you are a brand-new member of this discussion board.  Can you tell us a bit about yourself?  Do you have diabetes, or did you just have that one test at 105 that raised your doctor's concerrn about whether you might have diabetes or pre-diabetes? 

I' d like to suggest that we all continue this discussion on the Recently Diagnosed discussion board.  This Feedback section is for discussions about the mechanics of introducing a new message board last fall, and it gets relatively little traffic.  More people will see your post in the Recently Diagnosed discussion.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 3,974
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

When my doc explained why he wants to see 2 hour post meal numbers, he told me it's see what I've come back down to after the meal and that it should have dropped back to close to the pre meal number. He's not so interested in the peak spikes, though I am. So I both test for the peak spike (an hour after the meal for me), and again at 2 hours for my doc's info.