Occasional Responder
lisar0929
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎09-29-2011
Helpful Response

Blood glucose levels and what they mean

Hi!  I am Lisa and am a new member.  I guess I have a few questions. I went to my doctor and had blood work done. My blood test results for glocose were 101. Today I had the a1c done and the results were 5.2 and it said my average daily blood sugar was 103. My doctor is very upset and says this is prediabetic. I exercise regularly, I have lost 35lbs in the last couple of years. I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I don't drink soda or eat sweets really. I do drink water or milk. I eat frozen yogurt regularly and have french vanilla creamer in my coffee. I eat twice a day....lunch and dinner. I am not a huge snacker. What more can I do to lower this sugar level and is it a real concern at this point?  I know about the 4 B's so I rarely fry foods but mostly barbecue and broil.  What is considered prediabetic?

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,604
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,438
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Blood glucose levels and what they mean

[ Edited ]

Lisar0929 wrote:

Hi!  I am Lisa and am a new member.  I guess I have a few questions. I went to my doctor and had blood work done. My blood test results for glocose were 101. Today I had the a1c done and the results were 5.2 and it said my average daily blood sugar was 103. My doctor is very upset and says this is prediabetic. I exercise regularly, I have lost 35lbs in the last couple of years. I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I don't drink soda or eat sweets really. I do drink water or milk. I eat frozen yogurt regularly and have french vanilla creamer in my coffee. I eat twice a day....lunch and dinner. I am not a huge snacker. What more can I do to lower this sugar level and is it a real concern at this point?  I know about the 4 B's so I rarely fry foods but mostly barbecue and broil.  What is considered prediabetic?

G'day and welcome.

I'm surprised your doctor is very upset, because although your blood glucose test indicates impaired fasting glucose (pre-diabetes) you are only just in the early stages. Your A1c is not too bad at all, the only real indicator is that fasting glucose.

Forgive your doctor, because it is much better to know early rather than later when it comes to diabetes.

Congratulations on your achievements with the weight loss. However, there are some things you may be able to improve in your menu with the aid of your new blood glucose test meter. Blood glucose, or diabetes, management is more about carbohydrates than calories. You do have a meter? if not, ask for advice from your compatriots here on which meter to get and how to get it.

This may help you begin: Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,915
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Lisar0929 wrote:

Hi Lisa,

Try to stay calm.  While you are slightly over the non-diabetic limits it's still not too bad.

Here's a chart  

You can see that the fasting reading begins at 100 so you're just barely over it.  The A1C does not put you in pre-diabetic range but perhaps she's basing her diagnosis on some other factors that we don't know about.

I'd try to get more information from her, but in the meantime please read the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs which will give you a lot more informtion. 

The good news is that this was caught at the very earliest stage and you should have much less trouble controlling it.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Thank you so much for responding. I do not have a meter but I will talk to my doctor about it for sure. It is better to be safe than sorry :smileyhappy:  The information is very helpful thank you so much!!!

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,450
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Welcome Lisa

You have already received some good information here. So all I'll say is welcome.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,177
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I know that there can be a range of charts showing variations in "pre-diabetes" etc., but using the one Lizzy posted, the numbers of the original poster, and the variation found in meters - yes, even those used by a lab- I'm surprised the doctor has expressed concern over pre-diabetes?

Are there other symptoms? Family history?

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Thank you all!!  This is wonderful!  I am pleased to be a part of this forum  :smileyhappy:

Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Pam I have no symptoms. I had all of my blood work just to know where I am at since my doctor is new to me. I moved 2 years ago from Maine to Pennsylvania.  The doctor told me to watch my carbs and sugar intake and make sure I get 30 to 60 minutes of cardio workout everyday and we will retest in 3-6 months to be sure it's determined that am or not pre diabetic. No family history that I know of. So we shall see I suppose.  It just kind of scared me because I try to take such good care of myself.  Thank you so much for your input. It is appreciated more than you know.  :smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

lisar0929 wrote:

Pam I have no symptoms. I had all of my blood work just to know where I am at since my doctor is new to me. I moved 2 years ago from Maine to Pennsylvania.  The doctor told me to watch my carbs and sugar intake and make sure I get 30 to 60 minutes of cardio workout everyday and we will retest in 3-6 months to be sure it's determined that am or not pre diabetic. No family history that I know of. So we shall see I suppose.  It just kind of scared me because I try to take such good care of myself.  Thank you so much for your input. It is appreciated more than you know.  :smileyhappy:

I had not idea that I had a family history of diabetes until my mother had a heart attack.  She never mentioned it to me.  My grandmothers had both died before I was born, so I'll never know if either of them might have devleoped diabtetes, but neither of my grandfahters had ever been diagnosed.  There was a time when things like this either weren't caught or never discussed.  Someone died of a heart attack and no one really knew that it was related to diabetes.  Or it could just be the luck of the genetic draw. 

I'm sorry you had to join our club, but I'm certainly glad you found us. :smileyhappy:  Let me add another welcome.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Thank you Talvie!  I so appreciate the welcome.  I have started working out again doing cardio for at least 30 minutes a day and then with weight machines at the gym for another 30 minutes.  My other numbers are wonderful!!  My cholesterol is 125, my HDL is 63, LDL 55, triglycerides 36. Now if I can get this sugar down everything will be perfect.  I don't think it will be that hard as long as I really focus on exercise and eating right :smileyhappy:  I cut out the ice cream I was having every night before bed and we will see how that goes with the exercise. The doctor wants to follow up in 3-6 months and see where I am at.