Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,505
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Blood glucose levels and what they mean

[ Edited ]

lisar0929 wrote:

Hi!  I am Lisa and am a new member.  I guess I have a few questions. I went to my doctor and had blood work done. My blood test results for glocose were 101. Today I had the a1c done and the results were 5.2 and it said my average daily blood sugar was 103. My doctor is very upset and says this is prediabetic. I exercise regularly, I have lost 35lbs in the last couple of years. I went from a size 14 to a size 8. I don't drink soda or eat sweets really. I do drink water or milk. I eat frozen yogurt regularly and have french vanilla creamer in my coffee. I eat twice a day....lunch and dinner. I am not a huge snacker. What more can I do to lower this sugar level and is it a real concern at this point?  I know about the 4 B's so I rarely fry foods but mostly barbecue and broil.  What is considered prediabetic?

HI, LIsa!  You don't have to be a "huge snacker".  Maybe just a few times during the day when you might have a little bite or two, balanced with the exercise you're doing.  You can check your results out if you have a meter to use as your "personal trainer".  Since you're already used to doing the cardio, and you've already lost 35 pounds, and are lighter now, it may be making it more difficult to exert yourself sufficiently enough to have the desired impact on bg metabolism.  It's vital to keep up with increasing fitness level.  When we can do more, our bodies expect more (and/or sometimes just something different.  Are you using a heart rate monitor to help keep intensity level up?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
annie_m
Total Posts: 104
Registered on: ‎08-18-2011

35 pounds! Wow, G-O-OD  for you! I hope I'm able to do as well as you have.

Metformin 1500--Lipitor 20 mg--Nexium 40 mg--Venlafaxine 225 mg--Zyrtec 10mg--Synthroid 175mcg--Mirapexv 0.625--Baby aspirin

Calcium Citrate 630--Vitamin D3 2000--Cranberry extract 300--Fish Oil 2400
Glucosamine 3000--Condroitin 2400--Multi Vitamin
Occasional Responder
lisar0929
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎09-29-2011

I am not using a heart monitor at the moment but that is a great idea!  I walk on the tread mill with jogging intervals to start with for 2 miles and then ride a stationary bike for 2 miles at the gym. I also work out with the weight machines after that. I bought a cardio cd by prevention to try out and see on days that I can't make it to the gym. I agree that the low impact exercising that I have been doing just isn't cutting it. 

Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,145
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

When I was first told I might be prediabetic I wish I took it more seriously.  I didn't really know what it meant until I found this board.  If I had it to do over again...I would have been more strict and avoided or prolonged that period when I finally became diabetic.  Ho well live and learn.

Welcome.:smileyhappy:

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,145
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

By the way skipping breakfast is the worse.  It is really hard on the body. Try to even out your meals.  I skipped breakfast for years.  A big no no.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/recently-diagnosed/where-do-i-begin/choosing-what-to-ea...

:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 100 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Occasional Responder
lisar0929

I have been thinking about getting a meter and checking my own sugar periodically just to see whaere I am at. I can get everything from amazon.com for about $48. It's the one touch 2. Is that a decent meter?

Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Thank you Mary I will have to change the way I eat. My daughter often tells me to eat breakfast so I guess I will have to start doing exactly that. I already eat multi grain bread and fruit often. 

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,672
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

lisar0929 wrote:

I have been thinking about getting a meter and checking my own sugar periodically just to see whaere I am at. I can get everything from amazon.com for about $48. It's the one touch 2. Is that a decent meter?

Excellent decision to get a meter. Before you buy from Amazon, wait for the people from the USA here to offer other suggestions. The cost of the meter is less important than the cost of the associated test strips. Every meter brand uses different strips and some are more expensive than others.

When you get the meter please read both of these: Painless Pricks and Test, Review, Adjust.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,724
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

alan_s wrote:
 Before you buy from Amazon, wait for the people from the USA here to offer other suggestions. The cost of the meter is less important than the cost of the associated test strips. Every meter brand uses different strips and some are more expensive than others.

Lisa,

I bought my meter from Amazon and the one touch is a good meter.  If you are puchasing the strips out of pocket with no insurance coverage I would look at this meter that is available only by mail order:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Contour-Glucose-Monitoring-System/dp/B001LIMMW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Bayer makes good meters and this meters strips are about $13 for a 50 count

If you want to go out and purchase a meter at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart or Target... They all have house brand meters and strips which do a fine job.  Here is a link to the Walmart Relion site:

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/blood-glucose-testing/relion-micro

The meter is inexpensive accurate and the strips are about as cheap as they come.  100 ct for $36

Everyone is going to chime in with their favorite meter, but in truth they all do the same job, and the real cost of using the meter is as Alan said in the cost of the strips. 

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4

Lipids TC 203, LDL 110, VLDL 20, Triglycerides 100, HDL 73
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Occasional Responder
lisar0929

Thank you Rick!  I got a one touch 2 meter and I see what you mean about the test strips. I got 50 of them for $25.00. I also got 100 lancets for $17.00. I wonder if walmart sells the strips for the one touch