Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,189
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

Re: Blood Sugar Readings Charts? Suggestions?

jeffreypaul wrote:

hello,

I was looking over the chart normal level of 70 that would leave me shaking all over. Thats a horrible experience for sure. I am about to turn 50 years old, I started off with the peripheral neuropathy then the pain grew to an extreme level which ended up causing type II diabetes. I found I'm okay at the level of 85 possibly 80 thats the bottom level for me, 2 hours after a meal I try to stay around 85 to 135 by using medication.

I welcome nice comments and not so nice comments.

thanks, Jeff

Hi, Jeff,

Welcome to the site!

I'm a bit like you--I don't like to go below 80. I don't start shaking all over, but I definitely feel like I'm low. (Or at least what "low" is to me. I don't think I've ever had a "real" low of under 70.)

I'm wondering -- When were you diagnosed and how long have you been using diabetes meds? I ask because it seems you had really high numbers for a while (which would explain the neuropathy). When our body gets used to high numbers and then experiences numbers that aren't "real lows" we might feel terrible, as if we really were low--this is pretty common soon after diagnosis. It's also possible that your numbers are still running high on a regular basis but you're not catching them because of when/how often you test your BG.

How's your neuropathy doing these days?

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (December 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,189
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

nippers2 wrote (in part):

I've been looking for a good chart for blood sugar levels, and I've seen a disturbing amount of variation between them.

Is this one accurate?

Chart for Women
Blood Sugar Readings (mg/dL)
Normal Blood Sugar Range 70 to 140
Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal may rise up to 135 to 145
Post Meal Value: 1 hour after the Meal may rise up to 180
Random Blood Sugar 70 to 140
Normal Fasting Blood Sugar 70 to 100

Hi, nippers2,

Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents' worth. If I were making a chart for myself, this is how I'd make it:

Chart for maryd98

• Normal/usual Blood Sugar Range: 80 to 120 (sometimes it's a little higher or lower, but this is what it normally is...not 1 hour after a meal)
  • Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal: same as normal/usual (80-120)
  • Post Meal Value: 1 hour after the Meal may rise up to 160 (sometimes a bit higher...I prefer 150s or lower)
  • Random Blood Sugar: same as normal/usual (80 to 120)
  • Normal/usual Fasting Blood Sugar: 90 to 119 (sometimes it's a little higher or lower, but this is what it normally is)
Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (December 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

jeffreypaul wrote:

hello,

I was looking over the chart normal level of 70 that would leave me shaking all over. Thats a horrible experience for sure. I am about to turn 50 years old, I started off with the peripheral neuropathy then the pain grew to an extreme level which ended up causing type II diabetes. I found I'm okay at the level of 85 possibly 80 thats the bottom level for me, 2 hours after a meal I try to stay around 85 to 135 by using medication.

I welcome nice comments and not so nice comments.

thanks, Jeff

G'day Jeff and welcome to the forum.

You may get some surprises and also improve your menu choices if you test when you peak instead of at two hours. The neuropathy didn't cause the diabetes; in fact it is likely the other way around.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Visitor
stacy77
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-28-2014

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding blood sugar levels chart readings. I've recently done a blood sugar test (as advised by my college due to my constant urination and overall bad mood/shape) and found out to have following numbers: blood sugar 160mg/dl. Does that mean I "have" a pre-diabetes? How long does it usually take for pre-diabetes to develop into diabetes (type2)?

Thank you.

Stacy

A useful blood sugar levels chart available for download.
Super Advisor
lecloe
Total Posts: 2,184
Registered on: ‎08-30-2013

stacy77 wrote:

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding blood sugar levels chart readings. I've recently done a blood sugar test (as advised by my college due to my constant urination and overall bad mood/shape) and found out to have following numbers: blood sugar 160mg/dl. Does that mean I "have" a pre-diabetes? How long does it usually take for pre-diabetes to develop into diabetes (type2)?

Thank you.

Stacy

I'm guessing it means you either have so called prediates or Type 2.  I depends on when the blood was drawn.  Were you fasting for at least 8 hours?  If you will go back to the first page of this thread and read Marty1955s post you will see the official numbers from 3 different authorites. I prefer the AACE chart.  Did you also have an A1C test?  Were you given any advice from them?  If not, I urge you to see your doctor or better yet an endocrinologist.  You really need to see a doctor very soon for a diagnosis to nip it in the bud.

Lyndol

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. Author Unknown.

"True happiness is ... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future."-- Seneca,
Roman philosopher and playwright

T2 since 1-2013
A1C 6.4 8-2012
6.0 1-2013
6.0 7-2013
6.4 12-2013 :-(
5.9 11-2014 :-)
Hypertension
Coronary Artery Disease
Low T testosterone injectable 100 mg IM every other week
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Lantus 22 units at bedtime
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi and welcome.

accht.png

If it was a random reading it can't really be qualified.  A reading of 160 at any time is not normal however.  You need to see a doctor to have tests such as an A1C to make a diagnosis official.

My guess is that you would probably qualify for "pre" diabetes but here's my take on "pre" diabetes: click here .

So how long it takes to progress depends on how many changes you make to keep it from progressing.  A major part of the outcome depends on you.  Here's how to keep it from progressing, click on the title:

Getting Started 

Ask any questions you might have.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
Zedzed
Total Posts: 1,254
Registered on: ‎05-30-2013

[ Edited ]

maryd98 wrote:

nippers2 wrote (in part):

I've been looking for a good chart for blood sugar levels, and I've seen a disturbing amount of variation between them.

Is this one accurate?

Chart for Women
Normal Blood Sugar Range 70 to 140
Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal may rise up to 135 to 145
Post Meal Value: 1 hour after the Meal may rise up to 180
Random Blood Sugar 70 to 140
Normal Fasting Blood Sugar 70 to 100

Hi, nippers2,

Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents' worth. If I were making a chart for myself, this is how I'd make it:

Chart for maryd98

• Normal/usual Blood Sugar Range: 80 to 120 (sometimes it's a little higher or lower, but this is what it normally is...not 1 hour after a meal)
  • Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal: same as normal/usual (80-120)
  • Post Meal Value: 1 hour after the Meal may rise up to 160 (sometimes a bit higher...I prefer 150s or lower)
  • Random Blood Sugar: same as normal/usual (80 to 120)
  • Normal/usual Fasting Blood Sugar: 90 to 119 (sometimes it's a little higher or lower, but this is what it normally is)

My goals are to be between 70-100 when I'm NOT right after a meal.  1 hour later I like to be under 130 but only have issues at 140 and by 2 hours I want to be down to about 100-110.  Fasting I want to be in the same range.   However, that's what seems to be (somewhat) easy and sustainable for me for now.  If my rules change, I might flex my goals a bit before thinking about medication.  I can't imagine going beyond Mary's though.

twitter.com/zzyzx

Diagnosed 2/13 with an 8.0
A1C 5/13: 5.2!
8/13 5.2 again.
2/14: 5.4 Came after relaxing my diet quite a bit, but increasing my exercise intensity.
10/14 5.0!!

30-90 minutes of intense cardio every day. 15 minutes of difficult weight lifting 6 days a week. 150-200 g of carbs a day, never more than 50 at a sitting. vegetarian.
alan_s

stacy77 wrote:

Thank you.

Stacy

It is higher than normal, but how much higher may depend on how long before the test you ate your most recent meal.

If it was a fasting test after 8-12 hours without food then it is clearly over the threshold of 126 for diagnosis of diabetes. If you ate before the test then it is a little above the level most non-diabetics would see after a high-carbohydrate meal.

In either case I recommend you make an appointment with your doctor for further testing to be sure.

Pre-diabetes and diabetes are points on the same continuum, one earlier than the other. How long it may take to move from one to the other is variable but may be delayed by making the right lifestyle choices. If the doctor confirms either condition please return and let us know. We may be able to help.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Occasional Responder
kkathman
Total Posts: 10
Registered on: ‎04-01-2014

It's important to realize that everyone is different.  Consult your doctor on your own goals and targets for you with relationship to your own overall health situation.

Many of the "Glucose" Levels I've seen in this post make little mention of medications you may be on, how old you are, or other critical factors. For instance if you suffer from adrenal insufficiency and take prednisone, your FBG can be as high as around 120 and still be normal.  140 is a nice target for 2 hours after a meal, but that varies by age... if you are over 60, <160 is good ( all of these levels are mentioned on WebMD and the Mayo Clinic web pages.)

If you want the best advice, consult your doctor and discuss your medications, weight control program, exercise regimen and behavioral things like alcohol consumption and smoking.  Everyone should chart their meals and keep up with their carb/protein/fat profile on a daily basis. Take that to your doctor also. That may indicate tweaks that need to be taken.

Korky
Diagnosed T2 Mar/2014
Now at 500mg Metformin BID Breakfast/Dinner
A1c March: 8.9
alan_s

kkathman wrote:

It's important to realize that everyone is different.  Consult your doctor on your own goals and targets for you with relationship to your own overall health situation.

Many of the "Glucose" Levels I've seen in this post make little mention of medications you may be on, how old you are, or other critical factors. For instance if you suffer from adrenal insufficiency and take prednisone, your FBG can be as high as around 120 and still be normal.  140 is a nice target for 2 hours after a meal, but that varies by age... if you are over 60, <160 is good ( all of these levels are mentioned on WebMD and the Mayo Clinic web pages.)

If you want the best advice, consult your doctor and discuss your medications, weight control program, exercise regimen and behavioral things like alcohol consumption and smoking.  Everyone should chart their meals and keep up with their carb/protein/fat profile on a daily basis. Take that to your doctor also. That may indicate tweaks that need to be taken.

G'day

Welcome to the forum. Would you like to tell us a little more about yourself and your diabetes? It helps if we have some knowledge of the person and their experience when weighing the value of a comment.

I'm afraid WebMD is a useful tool; so are the mayo Clinic pages. However, as a 67 year-old I need more than an anecdotal cite to support "if you are over 60, <160 is good".