Established Advisor
nippers2
Total Posts: 382
Registered on: ‎02-11-2013

Blood Sugar Readings Charts? Suggestions?

I've been looking for a good chart for blood sugar levels, and I've seen a disturbing amount of variation between them.

Is this one accurate?

Blood Glucose Levels Readings (mg/dL)
Normal 70 - 140
Hypoglycemia (Initial Stage) Below 70
Hypoglycemia (Fasting) 50
Insulin Shock Less than 50

Blood Sugar Levels Fasting Values Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal
Normal 70 - 100 mg/dL Less than 140 mg/dL
Early Diabetes 101 - 126 mg/dL 140 - 200 mg/dL
Diabetes More than 126 mg/dL More than 200 mg/dL

Chart for Women
Blood Sugar Readings (mg/dL)
Normal Blood Sugar Range 70 to 140
Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal may rise up to 135 to 145
Post Meal Value: 1 hour after the Meal may rise up to 180
Random Blood Sugar 70 to 140
Normal Fasting Blood Sugar 70 to 100

Chart for Men
Blood Sugar Readings (mg/dL)
Normal Blood Sugar Range 70 to 140
Fasting Blood Sugar Range 70 to 100
Post Meal Value: 2 hrs after the Meal may rise up to 140
Random Blood Sugar 70 to 125

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Blood Sugar Readings Charts? Suggestions?

Lizzy's blog has some charts.  Look for any of her posts.  There will be a link to her blog.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Nippers2 wrote:

I've been looking for a good chart for blood sugar levels, and I've seen a disturbing amount of variation between them.

I discuss that variation here: Blood Glucose Targets

Here are the targets I used at first (from Test, Test, Test):

Fasting............................Under 110
One hour after meals.......under 140
Two hours after meals.....under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting............................Under 6
One hour after meals......Under 8
Two hours after meals....Under 6.5

These are the targets I use now:

Fasting............................Under 100
One hour after meals.......under 126
Two hours after meals.....under 100

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting...........................Under 5.5
One hour after meals......Under 7.0
Two hours after meals....Under 5.5

I aim under 6.0% for my A1c.

Note that targets are something to aim for, not absolute requirements. I'm human and do not always succeed in hitting the target. When I miss the target I use that to review what may have caused the miss, not to get mad at myself.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Long Lost Member
aely813
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-27-2013

Alan, Those are great numbers. Are you on any meds? I was diagnosed type 2,  7 months ago. Put on insulin and 500mg metformin 2 times a day. 2 months later my bloodwork showed elevated creatinine of 1.6 and I was told to stop all medications to see if that made a difference. It didn't. A 24 hr urine catch revealed protiens in my urine so it looks like I have early CKD. Off meds my fasting blood sugar is in the 120 to 125 range and my last A1C was 6.5. I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs, I've been active all my life and an ex competitive cyclist. I was 226 lbs when diagnosed, so not that much heaavier. I'm still trying to get a handle on being diabetic and we are still in the middle of all the Dr. visits to find out what can be done about my kidneys. An ultrasound showed that I probably have only 1 functioning kidney which is bigger than normal and one small deformed kidney which probably isn't doing me any good. I was curious about your readings and if you are on meds. How strict is your diet and how much you are exercising. I'm back cycling, running and starting to swim again. Thanks, Aaron

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

aely813 wrote:

Alan, Those are great numbers. Are you on any meds?

Welcome to the forum.

I take 2000mg metformin daily when I remember to, which is not always :smileyhappy: I'll repeat that those are the numbers I aim for. I don't always hit the target, but I do more often than not.

I was diagnosed type 2,  7 months ago. Put on insulin and 500mg metformin 2 times a day. 2 months later my bloodwork showed elevated creatinine of 1.6 and I was told to stop all medications to see if that made a difference. It didn't. A 24 hr urine catch revealed protiens in my urine so it looks like I have early CKD. Off meds my fasting blood sugar is in the 120 to 125 range and my last A1C was 6.5. I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs, I've been active all my life and an ex competitive cyclist. I was 226 lbs when diagnosed, so not that much heaavier. I'm still trying to get a handle on being diabetic and we are still in the middle of all the Dr. visits to find out what can be done about my kidneys. An ultrasound showed that I probably have only 1 functioning kidney which is bigger than normal and one small deformed kidney which probably isn't doing me any good. I was curious about your readings and if you are on meds. How strict is your diet and how much you are exercising. I'm back cycling, running and starting to swim again. Thanks, Aaron

I wish I could help with the CKD, but I'll leave advice for that to your doctors. Your A1c is not too bad, but your fasting blood glucose is a bit high for my liking.

My usual suggestion would be to try this: Test, Review, Adjust.

However, I suggest you run that past your doctors first in case they have doubts about varying the protein proportions of your diet. When you do, keep in mind that in many cases, including mine, reducing carbs does not always lead to an actual increase in protein and fats. Rather the reverse in fact. I actually reduced everything except vegetables because eating less carbs also reduced my hunger.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Long Lost Member
aely813
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎03-27-2013

Thanks Alan, That is great information. I'm still learning but want to stay on top of it. My A1C was 12.5 when I was diagnosed. Now I have it down to 6.5. I do watch what I eat now and I find that exercise really impacts my levels. I just have to not go overboard on it and get injuries. Working through knee trouble right now but trying to find a balance in diet and exercise without it becoming obsessive. I found out I have to back it down a notch. I'm 55 not 25 anymore. Awesome forum, great information. Thanks for being out there and helping people out. Aaron

jeffreypaul
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-25-2014

hello,

I was looking over the chart normal level of 70 that would leave me shaking all over. Thats a horrible experience for sure. I am about to turn 50 years old, I started off with the peripheral neuropathy then the pain grew to an extreme level which ended up causing type II diabetes. I found I'm okay at the level of 85 possibly 80 thats the bottom level for me, 2 hours after a meal I try to stay around 85 to 135 by using medication.

I welcome nice comments and not so nice comments.

thanks, Jeff

Super Advisor
lecloe
Total Posts: 2,183
Registered on: ‎08-30-2013

jeffreypaul wrote:

hello,

I was looking over the chart normal level of 70 that would leave me shaking all over. Thats a horrible experience for sure. I am about to turn 50 years old, I started off with the peripheral neuropathy then the pain grew to an extreme level which ended up causing type II diabetes. I found I'm okay at the level of 85 possibly 80 thats the bottom level for me, 2 hours after a meal I try to stay around 85 to 135 by using medication.

thanks, Jeff

I hope you just got it backward.  Undiagnosed diabetes most likely caused the neuropathy.  Not the other way around.

Lyndol

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. Author Unknown.

"True happiness is ... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future."-- Seneca,
Roman philosopher and playwright

T2 since 1-2013
A1C 6.4 8-2012
6.0 1-2013
6.0 7-2013
6.4 12-2013 :-(
5.9 11-2014 :-)
Hypertension
Coronary Artery Disease
Low T testosterone injectable 100 mg IM every other week
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Lantus 22 units at bedtime
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

jeffreypaul wrote:

hello,

thanks, Jeff

It's your body, so you can keep your numbers where ever you want.  Most of us strive for "normal" numbers to avoid complications.  One thirty five 2 hours PP isn't that far from the goal most of us strive for (120 or less).

Don't know if that's nice or not nice, but it is what it is.

Lizzy  

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,811
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

jeffreypaul wrote:

hello,

thanks, Jeff

Good morning Jeff and welcome to the community.  I am with Lyndol that the diabetes caused the neuropathy not the other way around.  Here is a chart that shows the different levels recommended from three different agencies...I  like to keep my levels at the non-d levels and think the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist) come closest to having the best guide for control.

RECOMMENDED BLOOD GLUCOSE GOALS

ADA:……..A1C…..<.7.0……Fasting….90-130….PP*…….<180

JOSLIN:..A1C……<7.0……Fasting….90-130….PP*…….<160

AACE:……A1C…..<6.5……Fasting……<110……PP*…….<140

NON-D:….A1C..4.0-5.7….Fasting….70-100….PP**.70-140…**Non-diabetic

Are you also using a lower-carb meal plan and exercise along with your medications to control your diabetes?  If you are checking your PP levels at the 2 hour mark, you may be missing a higher peak time.  I generally peak at 1 hour after my last bite and am back to my pre-meal levels at the 2 hour.  If you would like to know how do find your peak rise time, you can go here to find out....http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/04/14/getting-started/

What medications are you taking and what was your last A1c?  Your body is just not used to going that low probably, I woke at 58 the other morning and just had a little shakiness...we are all different. 

Marty

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
12/10/2014 - A1c 5.4
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
12/10/2014 - 144
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
Blood Pressure 12/10/2014 - 105/72
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my deceased husband, and my ex husband