Responder
doomflower
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎03-23-2011
Helpful Response

Blood Glucose Consistently High

Hello, all! :smileytongue:

I'm not new to this site as I've been prediabetic for a while, but my A1C has finally begun to shoot upwards. My last A1C was 6.8, and I want to live better on a daily basis so I don't need to rely on medication to keep the numbers low.

Recently, I learned how to use a glucose meter, which was pleasing because I like having that control to check the glucose at any time. But the results have been really disappointing, unfortunately. Every time I checked my sugar, it was up around 190. :smileysad:  There's nothing wrong with the meter, I know it's all me! But how can I get that number down??

Thanks if you can offer some pointers. Seeing that same result each time I check is getting discouraging.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Dx: January 2012, Type-2, A1C 6.8
Controlling with diet & exercise
Other Rx: Keppra-XR, Simvastatin, Zantac, Synthroid
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,423
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Blood Glucose Consistently High

doomflower wrote:

I'm not new to this site as I've been prediabetic for a while, but my A1C has finally begun to shoot upwards. My last A1C was 6.8, and I want to live better on a daily basis so I don't need to rely on medication to keep the numbers low.

Recently, I learned how to use a glucose meter, which was pleasing because I like having that control to check the glucose at any time. But the results have been really disappointing, unfortunately. Every time I checked my sugar, it was up around 190. :smileysad:  There's nothing wrong with the meter, I know it's all me! But how can I get that number down??

Thanks if you can offer some pointers. Seeing that same result each time I check is getting discouraging.

Probably before I finish typing this response, others will be along to give you advice on getting on the right track.  I'm happy to hear that you have a meter!   That meter really is your best friend. 

Can you give us a little more information?  Are you currently on medicaiton?  What kind?  What does your typical menu looks like?  What do you eat for breakfast, for instance.  When are you checking you glucose levels?  Before meals?  After meals? 

Don't be discouraged!  There's good information here, and you can have better numbers, and that's what it's really all about:  getting and keeping good control. 

In the meantime, read everything you can find, and ask questions. :smileyhappy:  We love questions.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180

doomflower wrote:

This may help, please read it and then come back if you have more questions: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
doomflower

"Can you give us a little more information?  Are you currently on medicaiton?  What kind?  What does your typical menu looks like?  What do you eat for breakfast, for instance.  When are you checking you glucose levels?  Before meals?  After meals?"

Oops, I didn't say much about the important details, did I?  :smileyembarrassed:  Sorry, Talvie! OK, when I was diagnosed a week or two ago, the doctor told me that he didn't want to put me on meds at this time, because he wanted to see what I could do with diet & exercise between now and the next appointment (in April/May). So I'm not currently taking any diabetes medications.

Diet-wise: For breakfast, I usually have a mug of coffee and a packet of instant grits. At mid-morning, I'll have a Glucerna bar or shake. Lunchtime, I typically have a pita sandwich with shredded kale, sprouts, a sprinkling of cheese, Tofurky lunch 'meat' (not really meat, more like a soy product), and a few pieces of avocado. Dinner varies more, but I do try to follow guidelines of eating more veggies than meat. Admittedly, dinner time COULD be better portion-controlled. There is room for improvement! And I never have dessert.

When I checked those levels today, I checked at 1st breaktime (8:30 am) and at 2nd breaktime (1:45 pm) at work. Did I not wait long enough? Should I check it more/less often? I didn't want to get obsessive about it, because that's easy to do with numbers!

Advisor
veganist
Total Posts: 73
Registered on: ‎12-07-2011

This is a chat room. You won't find any professional help here to give you guidance. Some people will ask personal information of you such as what type and how much medication you are taking. You may provide this information if you desire but remember that this is only a chat room. See your doctor for advice that you can count on. Otherwise, have fun here.  

Responder
doomflower

I will! :smileylol:

And I'm glad to meet a vegan on here! I'm not vegan myself, though I'm pretty close this point to at least being vegetarian.

alan_s

veganist wrote:

This is a chat room. You won't find any professional help here to give you guidance. Some people will ask personal information of you such as what type and how much medication you are taking. You may provide this information if you desire but remember that this is only a chat room. See your doctor for advice that you can count on. Otherwise, have fun here.  

It is not a chat room, it is a forum. Chat rooms work in real time; forums work by people reading and posting in their own time, sometimes many hours or days after the post they are replying to.

I agree that the information here is unqualified and personal.That does not mean it has no value, just that it is not medical advice and should not be seen as such.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
alan_s

doomflower wrote:

"Can you give us a little more information?  Are you currently on medicaiton?  What kind?  What does your typical menu looks like?  What do you eat for breakfast, for instance.  When are you checking you glucose levels?  Before meals?  After meals?"

Oops, I didn't say much about the important details, did I?  :smileyembarrassed:  Sorry, Talvie! OK, when I was diagnosed a week or two ago, the doctor told me that he didn't want to put me on meds at this time, because he wanted to see what I could do with diet & exercise between now and the next appointment (in April/May). So I'm not currently taking any diabetes medications.

Diet-wise: For breakfast, I usually have a mug of coffee and a packet of instant grits. At mid-morning, I'll have a Glucerna bar or shake. Lunchtime, I typically have a pita sandwich with shredded kale, sprouts, a sprinkling of cheese, Tofurky lunch 'meat' (not really meat, more like a soy product), and a few pieces of avocado. Dinner varies more, but I do try to follow guidelines of eating more veggies than meat. Admittedly, dinner time COULD be better portion-controlled. There is room for improvement! And I never have dessert.

When I checked those levels today, I checked at 1st breaktime (8:30 am) and at 2nd breaktime (1:45 pm) at work. Did I not wait long enough? Should I check it more/less often? I didn't want to get obsessive about it, because that's easy to do with numbers!

Breakfast was well over 20gms processed carbs, very little fat and protein.So was the snack.

Lunch was better with a reasonable range of lower-carb veges, but be wary of the starch content in things like Pita and processed imitation vege-meat.

No need to worry about the meat content of dinner; let your meter guide you on the carb content. Until you find your most consistent peak time, consider testing about one hour after your last bite of the meal.

Responder
doomflower

Thank you, Alan! While I love my pita lunches, there's always a way to improve upon things. And yes, I could ditch the grits for something better, perhaps better carbs such as quinoa. As for the Glucerna...I wouldn't live on the stuff, though I thought it was a better snack than getting something from the workplace vending machine, which tends to be potato chips or other ickies. 

I apologize if I posted anything inappropriate on here; one of the posters earlier asked for some more specifics, so that's why I volunteered the numbers. I know you guys aren't doctors. :smileywink:  I just appreciate the feedback from nice folks who've been dealing with this longer than I have.

alan_s

doomflower wrote:

Thank you, Alan! While I love my pita lunches, there's always a way to improve upon things. And yes, I could ditch the grits for something better, perhaps better carbs such as quinoa. As for the Glucerna...I wouldn't live on the stuff, though I thought it was a better snack than getting something from the workplace vending machine, which tends to be potato chips or other ickies. 

I apologize if I posted anything inappropriate on here; one of the posters earlier asked for some more specifics, so that's why I volunteered the numbers. I know you guys aren't doctors. :smileywink:  I just appreciate the feedback from nice folks who've been dealing with this longer than I have.

I didn't notice anything inappropriate from you at all. Have I missed something interesting?

For that first meal of the day consider some of these ideas: Breakfasts. Believe it or not, it is not actually a Federal Statute that breakfast must include cereal, toast, juice or any other carbs at all :smileyhappy:. My own was a rasher of bacon and two eggs fried in the bacon fat this morning.

For snacks, consider taking nuts or similar easily portable foods to work. More ideas here: Snacks