Responder
Alli7
Total Posts: 54
Registered on: ‎12-09-2012

Best Update....

Hello Everyone:

I went to my doctor on Thursday for my follow up.  I took my excel spreadsheet showing my numerous daily BG results with my highs and lows.  He took one look at it and praised me for being organized!  He also congratulated me on my 17 lbs weight loss!!!   YEAH ME!!  I started at 226 around the end of Sept but didn't really kick it into gear until the doctor officially said I was diabetic at the end of Nov.  I am now currently at 206 and actually am starting to feel a little better and clothes are getting a little looser (very exciting for me).  He explained to me more details and I got my questions answered.  For me, I am to continue with diet and exercise  for a few more months, keep losing weight and exercising, try to maintain BG no higher then 160 post meal and carb count per meal around 60.  So now I have parameters and guidelines.  I was already doing some of the things he mentioned (parents both diabetic so already had some idea of where to start).  Still reading what I can get my hands on and using the website as a guideline.    He wanted to wait until 6 months had passed before he does another A1c but he thought I was probably already under the 6.4 he would like to see me because my first one was 6.6%.  Slowly but surely it is getting better and a little easier as I take the time to think my choices through for meals etc.  AND I didn't eat any of the Christmas junk at work!  So far, so good.  

I thank everyone on this website for making my first month of T2 a little easier and a little less worrisome

Alli7 aka Allison in Northeast Ohio
Both parents diabetic -bummer and not surprised at diagnosis
A1c 6.6% in Nov 2012 Current A1c is 5.6%!!
Starting weight: 226 Current weight: 203 7/3/13
2014 last known A1c 6.0% current weight on home scale -216
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,461
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Best Update....

Way to go, Alli!!  :smileyhappy:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Responder
donredbull
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎12-22-2012

Wow way to go you really hit the ground running I love reading posts like this

Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 544
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

All sounds nice.  Are you aware that you can get a home A1c test kit (Bayer) for $30 - $35 from virtually any store that has a pharmacy dept (no scrip needed)?  Averaging your test scores is all well & good, but they are still just pure snapshots in time, not the overall average that the A1c gives (yes, decent control should show a correlation, but...).

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Congratulations!!!

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)