lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,637
Topics: 552
High Fives: 1,842
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Are You New? Confused? Worried? CLICK HERE

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the boards! We're sorry that you had to be here but happy that you found us.

Right now you're probably going through a lot of different emotions: shock, anger, fear, uncertainty.......... That's natural, most of us experience that when first diagnosed. Please know that it does get better. The more you know about this disease and the steps you need to take to control it the more confidence you'll have in your ability and the future. Many of you were not given a lot of information to start with, this happens quite often.

It's really going to be up to you to learn as much as you can. This journey that you're beginning is an individual journey. Why do I say that? Because diabetes is a very individual disease. What affects one person may have a totally different affect on another. You have to find out how it affects you, look at it as embarking on your own personal science experiment. :-) To that end we have a saying that you'll see very often on the boards: YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.

If you've been searching the web for information you've probably found that there's a LOT of it out there. How do you know what to believe when you see so many conflicting views? You've heard the saying "If it sounds too good to be true......", well that applies to diabetes big time.

At this point in time there is no cure! Whoever says that there is also probably has something to sell you. You'll also see a lot about "Reversing" diabetes, sometimes from people with M.D.'s behind their name. Currently there is no reversal, there is, however, control. And that's what we aim for here. Once you're a diabetic, your a diabetic. You can be a diabetic who achieves non-diabetic numbers (many of us here have) but you're one always one high-carb meal away from high numbers. The truth will set you free.

The tools many of us use here are carb-control, testing and exercise.  Some people take medication, some are controlling on lifestyle alone.  You'll also see different "goals" or numbers that are considered good by different agencies. Know that it's up to you and your doctor to set a goal for you. The goals charts are ranges that take into account many different people and many different situations. Once again, you have to "individualize" that information to fit your body and goals.

Some symptoms that many people experience when they're numbers start to get lower and normalize can be very alarming, doctors don't usually tell you about this. Here's a partial list:

- Blurred vision -

This is quite common. Fluid in the eyes builds when the BS numbers are high and this causes pressure to build also. The body has adapted to the high numbers, but when they start to lower the body must once again adapt. Many of us have experienced this and it can be very frightening. In most cases the eyes will go back to normal in a few weeks after gaining good control and lower numbers. Always have an eye exam as soon as possible after diagnosis. This should be a dilated exam done by a doctor who can determine if there has been any damage to the eyes. Diabetes can cause blindness, so always keeping check of your eyes is important. If there is damage found, check with your MD to determine how quickly you should reduce your numbers. There have been very rare instances where reducing the numbers too fast has caused the eye damage to escalate, but I repeat this is rare and only in individuals that already have existing eye damage.

I advise people to wait a while before getting new glasses because your prescription will change back and forth until you gain control. I wish someone had told me that when I spent $300.00 for new glasses that were worthless in 6 months! Try to get by with the drug store glasses for a while until your eyes adjust.

-Strange Feelings and "False" Lows -

This is another very scary thing that happens to many of us. Remember that your body has adjusted to the high numbers, you might have felt really fine before and didn't know anything was wrong. When the numbers start to come down your body once again must adjust.

Always test when you feel "funny" or have symptoms. These symptoms could include:

Feeling Dizzy
Sweating
Heart Pounding
Numbness in arms or face/lips
For other hypoglycemic symptoms click here

If you test and the numbers are within a good range 80 -120, or if
they're higher than that range but not higher than 250 you could be having a "false low". If you have other conditions that might include these symptoms make sure you check for that too. If they're higher than 250 - 350 continue to check every half hour. If they don't start to come down within an hour contact your doctor.

So if they're in good range that's probably a "false low". If it's been more than 3 hours since you ate, eat something: either a meal if it's mealtime or a small snack that contains no more than 15 grams carbs and some protein and fat. A few crackers and peanut butter is a good example.

If it's been less than 3 hours (give or take) since you've eaten and you don't take insulin or medication that stimulates insulin, try to ride it out. The sooner your body gets used to the lower numbers the less often this will happen.

If you take insulin or a medication that stimulates insulin production and the numbers are less than about 100 try the 15/15 rule: click here

Sounds complicated but many people experience this when their numbers have been high for an extended period of time.

- Aches and Pains -

Another adjustment that your body has to make when you return to normal numbers involves the nerves and nerve endings. High glucose can damage the nerves in many parts of the body. Sometimes this is experienced as numbness, especially in the legs and feet although it can occur in other areas.

When glucose numbers start to go down these nerves  can "wake up" so to speak and start healing from the high glucose levels. Although this is a good thing, it can cause a great deal of pain. This doesn't happen to everyone, usually the longer you've had high numbers the more likely it is to happen.  Many people have stated that they feel worse since they started getting better. Believe me, it's better to get better!  Usually the pains start to subside after glucose has been in range for 4-6 months. For more information on neuropathy click here

These are things that might occur, that doesn't mean that they will occur to you. Usually the longer you had high numbers before being diagnosed, and the higher your numbers are at diagnosis the more chance that you may experience some or all of these things.

But the good news is that they do improve. And as long as you keep your numbers in good range they will continue to improve. So that gives you a lot of incentive to "get with the program."

So let's get started!

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
elyoung
Total Posts: 173
Registered on: ‎09-26-2011

Re: Are You New? Confused? Worried? CLICK HERE

Thanks! This was great information. I was diagnosed a month ago. I've been gathering books and testing, but recently have started to have that overwhelmed feeling as it all starts to sink in. Glad I found these blogs!

Betsy

lizzylou

[ Edited ]

elyoung wrote:

Thanks! This was great information. I was diagnosed a month ago. I've been gathering books and testing, but recently have started to have that overwhelmed feeling as it all starts to sink in. Glad I found these blogs!

Hi El,

We're glad you're here too! 

It really is a lot to take in at first, but in time it becomes second-nature.

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself because we're very nosy. :smileyvery-happy:  Just kidding, you more we know the more we can help you with any questions you might have.  Just do a post on either the Newly Diagnosed or Type-2 boards and introduce yourself.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
withloveandagun
Total Posts: 211
Registered on: ‎09-28-2011

This helped a lot. My doctors say I've had some form of diabetes since I was about 12 but other diseases masked it. I've been a type 1 since December 2008 and just now have started dealing with it. I've experienced all of these things and when I read this it gave me hope that one day it will get better.

I woke up one morning about 2 weeks ago and couldn't read anything. It was a total blur. I was really scared. It was right after I had gotten out of the hospital for DKA and had gotten my sugars down from the 600s. I am happy to report my eyes are seeing much better now, and I am going in to get my DP exam soon.

The "false lows" are still a major problem for me. All day yesterday I had false lows. First at 236, then at 153. Finally I got down to 77 and I felt like death. It zapped everything out of me and I went home from work and fell asleep for 2 hours.

As far as the pain goes, my podiatrist and a neurologist diagnosed me with peripheral neuropathy in my legs and feet. The pain has seemed to get worse the more I bring my numbers down. I am just hoping they are healing and the pain with eventually go away...

06/2012 - Potential Hasimoto's Thyroiditis diagnosis

MDI
Lantus 28 units morning; 28 units nighttime;
Novolog I:C Ratio (1:5g); Sensitivity Factor: (1:30mg/dL)
Metformin ER 1000mg 2x/day
Synthroid 50mcg
08/2011 - A1C 14.8
09/2011 - A1C 13.5
01/2012 - A1C 8.5
04/2012 - A1C 7.6
06/2012 - A1C 8.3 (EUGH!)
09/2012 - A1C 7.2
10/2012 - A1C 7.3
01/2013 - A1C 5.7
03/2013 - A1C 5.6
Pregnancy Related Medications:
CitraNatal 90 DHA
Centrum Pronutrients Fruit & Veggie 2 pills 1x/day

Frequent Responder
RunningBuffalo
Total Posts: 896
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Hi Betsy!   :smileyhappy:

Welcome to the Boards!  You've come to a GREAT place!   There are lots of knowledgeable and compassionate people here willing to share their support and expertise with you.    You've already received some great info from Lizzy!   :smileyhappy:

Like Lizzy asked, can you tell us some more about yourself?  

I understand the feeling of starting to feel overwhelmed . . . but you are doing the right thing!  You are educating yourself!   Diabetes is manageable! . . . and educating yourself is the best way to get started on this journey!  It may seem a little daunting at first, but before long - this will all seem "routine" to you.

I hope you will feel comfortable and join in!   We're here for each other!

Have a great day & best of success to you!!

RB

Frequent Responder
RunningBuffalo
Total Posts: 896
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Good Morning & WELCOME to the Boards!

I hope you will feel comfortable to join us and share any questions or concerns you may have!

Remember, Diabetes is manageable!!

There are lots of people here willing to share their knowledge and support!

Sincerely,

RB

lizzylou

Hi Love, welcome to the boards!

You've been through a lot!  I'm really surprised that your doctors haven't recommended a pump, since that would probably keep your numbers more stable.  That's the key to healing on all levels, but I know it's much harder with type-1 to keep the numbers from fluctuating.  Trisha on the Type-1 boards has a monitor that alerts her to high/low numbers which is helpful too. 

I'm sure the people on the Type-1 boards can give you lots of help and tips on management, here's the direct link:  click here

Take good care of yourself!

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lizzylou

Hi again Love,

I see you found the type-1 boards and are getting some answers.

One other things I'd like to mention if that learning all you can about insulin and how it works is very important.

These two books:  Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheimer and Using Insulin by John Walsh are books that we highly recommend here.  They tell you many things that your doctor and CDE never tell you.  It's a good idea to have a copy of one or both around to refer to.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
cmauras
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎10-04-2011

Thank you so much, Lizzylou, for posting this information. You do not know how much I needed to read this. You are an angel.

lizzylou

cmauras wrote:

Thank you so much, Lizzylou, for posting this information. You do not know how much I needed to read this. You are an angel.

Glad I could help.  It would have helped me a lot when I was first diagnosed and thought something awful was happening to me.  That's the main reason why I wrote this post.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more