Responder
doomflower
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎03-23-2011

A1C came back 'Borderline' Diabetes.

So I had my A1C test yesterday, and the nurse called me a few minutes ago to let me know I was 'borderline' diabetic. I need to see the doctor in 2-4 weeks.

In the meantime, what should I do? I'm already eating healthier (started that beginning of this year). Does being borderline mean I'll eventually develop full-blown Type 2? And...does anyone have some tips on how to deal with fatigue and food cravings while at work?

You guys are great, btw. :smileyhappy:  I love this community, I can tell this place is full of good people, and that's not just some way to butter you all up. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Dx: January 2012, Type-2, A1C 6.8
Controlling with diet & exercise
Other Rx: Keppra-XR, Simvastatin, Zantac, Synthroid
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,776
Topics: 190
High Fives: 1,228
Solutions: 141
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Being borderline type 2 is a little like being borderline pregnant. However, the problem is not resolved nine months later.

Treat this early warning as a lucky opportunity. If you take appropriate action now to improve your lifestyle, especially diet and exercise, you may not progress any further towards diabetes. The most important goal is to try to halt progression towards the terrible complications of uncontrolled diabetes.

Some of us did not get that warning and did a lot of damage unknowingly before we were diagnosed.

What to do now? Read this (click on it): Getting Started
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,332
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

It's hard to know exactly what the nurse meant, because "borderline diabetes" isn't a well-defined medical term.  An A1C of 6.5 or higher is sufficient to diagnose you will diabetes. 

If your A1C is between 5.7 and 6.4, you fit the definition of prediabetes.

The question is, which side of that border fence are you on?

As Alan has hinted, the majority of people with prediabetes go on to develop diabetes.    If you are still in that category, you can use weight loss if needed, exercise, and a wise eating plan to stave off diabetes, and they really can make a difference.  Even if you do develop diabetes eventually, you will still be healthier ten or fifteen years from now for having taken care of yourself now.  The secret is to begin doing now some of those very things you would do to manage diabetes later.

in any case, I suggest you read the information on prediabetes at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/pre-diabetes/how-to-tell-if-you-have.html to learn more about your situation.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

As Molly suggested, borderline could mean two things--that you are at either end of the prediabetes A1c scale of 5.7-6.4, or that you are somewhere in between.

Assuming that you are in that prediabetic range, the stats show that 95% of people with prediabetes develop diabetes in the long run. You could be one of the 5%, but those are pretty long odds.

Re fatigue at work, one thing you can do is to test your blood sugar when it happens and see if it is higher or lower than usual. If too high, then less carbs at the previous meal might prevent that. If too low, then a snack now and then, even a small one,  could make a big difference in how you feel...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
SouthwestSands
Total Posts: 132
Registered on: ‎01-27-2011

I don't know what chart I was reading, but it claims I am "borderline" too. I have doctors, though that just call me type 2. I've had it for 11 years, and the only time I took any kind of meds for it was when I had to take a steroid, which increased my blood glucose levels.

I hope they give you a good meter and refer you to a good registered dietitian, and, if possible, refer you to a personal trainer, as well.
Goals are Great!
TYPE 2 Since 2000
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,215
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,215
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

HI, Doomflower!  Did the nurse tell you exactly what your A1c level was?  If not, then you might want to get a copy of the lab sheet when you see the doctor.  And he should also give you a prescription for a bg meter, so you can keep track of your bg levels.  If he can refer you to a Registered Dietician (RD) -- especially one who's a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) you can get some more professional advice on things like fatigue and food cravings, which you are asking about.  I know we discussed a while back on the t2 board about your brother's exercise, but I don't remember your exercise plan, but regular daily exercise can help bg levels tremendously, and that also can help fight fatigue and food cravings, because it gets the glucose from the food where it's supposed to go -- out of the blood stream and into the body cells where it can be used for energy, as it's supposed to do.  You will feel much better when the fuel is being used and isn't being wasted.  Do you currently keep any snacks, or have meals at work?  Maybe having what you need handier or in a more convenient or healthy form or better portion size for dispensing throughout the day could help avoid cravings in the first place.  Head them off at the pass with things like nuts, raw veggies, fat free cheese or light mozzarella sticks.  Being prepared with the right fuel is half the battle.  Exercise is the other half -- which gets the fuel where it belongs.  Are there any opportunities for exercise at work?
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
joej1
Total Posts: 419
Registered on: ‎01-09-2011

People have most things but you mentioned you have already started eating healthier, for pre diabetes and diabetes its not necessarily what the establishment calls healthy eating. Instead the biggest thing is reducing how many grams of carbs you have at anyone one time often was less than low fat diets typically suggest. Often 40g or less for lunch/dinner and maybe real low 5-10g at breakfast. But how rstricted will depend on how your body reacts.