Occasional Contributor
wjfyfe
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎01-20-2012

170 Glucose Level

[ Edited ]

Type 2 diabetic. 54 YO. My glucose level has basically leveled off around 170. Sometimes lower naturally or I can drive it down much lower temporarily by exercise, seldom climbing above 200. I am in good health and on no medications, (for anything) . My blood pressure and cholesterol are the envy of most folks.  I feel just fine and would not even know about this "problem"  if the doctor had not pointed it out. But still wondering, realistically speaking, how concerned should I really be if things remain constant like this?

Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,532
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: 170 Glucose Level

wjfyfe wrote:

Type 2 diabetic. 54 YO. My glucose level has basically leveled off around 170. Sometimes lower naturally or I can drive it down much lower temporarily by exercise, seldom climbing above 200. I am in good health and on no medications, (for anything) . My blood pressure and cholesterol are the envy of most folks.  I feel just fine and would not even know about this "problem"  if the doctor had not pointed it out. But still wondering, realistically speaking, how concerned should I really be if things remain constant like this?

I am only speaking for myself, but I would be very concerned with those numbers.  The unfortunate part about Diabetes is that a lot of damage happens behind the scenes, meaning inside your body little by little the longer your BG is high.  By the time you actually show problems like kidney problems, neuropathy, retinophathy, etc., it MAY be too late to reverse them.

In the end, everybody has to decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with and how much effort they want to invest, since the "getting the BG under control part" is the time consuming part.  A lot of trial and error testing, record keeping, exercise, not everyone is willing to do that.

The good part about this despicable disease is that YOU have a lot of control over how well you control it and not let it control you.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Occasional Contributor
wjfyfe

Thanks Farida, There is an added concern in which I did not adress is that in doing research into this, there seems to be an increasing concern that many of the "cures" used today to decrease blood sugar levels are showing to be worse for the body then the disease itself?

Bill

Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,532
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

wjfyfe wrote:

Thanks Farida, There is an added concern in which I did not adress is that in doing research into this, there seems to be an increasing concern that many of the "cures" used today to decrease blood sugar levels are showing to be worse for the body then the disease itself?

Bill

Bill, sadly many people fall into the "cure" trap.  There is no cure for Diabetes, there is only control.  If you are interested in improving your BG, give us a bit more info about you.

When were you dx'd and what is your A1c?  Are you one any meds, for diabetes or not?  List any other illnesses, if applicable.  Give us a sample of your daily menu and, if you test, the BG that goes with the meals.  Whatever info you provide can help us help you figure out what you may need to do to get it under control.  Are you exercising, if yes, what and how often, if no are you physically able to?

I am not trying to be nosy but the info is a neccessity.

Farida

" Remember, Google is your friend"

Dx'd Type II on Halloween 2011
Current 8/20/14 - A1c 5.8
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Flexeril 10mg for Fibromyalgia
Gabapentin 3200mg for Fibromyalgia
Clonazepam 1mg for Anxiety
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,461
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

wjfyfe wrote:

Please describe your exercise and testing schedule.  It may be possible to achieve better control with the right amounts of food and regular exercise at the right times.  (I controlled with "just" diet and exercise for 11 years, after being diagnosed at age 55 with blood glucose level of 350, limiting and controlling carbs with carb-counting, and walking (or doing some type of exercise) after every meal.  If you are able to use exercise to your advantage, that is wonderful!  Would also discuss with doctor the possibility of getting a referral to a Registered Dietician and diabetes meds, if needed.  Didn't he tell you anything, other than pointing out that you have diabetes?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Contributor
wjfyfe

[ Edited ]

Aw Nancy,  I do believe you have sensed some my frustration. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with an A1c of 7.5. I immediately put myself on a diet, got on the exercise bike an hour a day and six months later I weighed 5 pounds less with an A1C of 7.5. OK, I went back to feeling fulfilled when eating and still exercising but not nearly to the extent I was and now yet another 6 months later I am still at the same weight but not feeling hungry, not putting myself through the grind of the exercise bike, feeling fit as a fiddle but my A1C is still 7.5. I have came across several reports recently that appear to be showing those taking drugs or other thearpy trying to force down their numbers when in the high 100's are dying sooner then those that are just living a generally healthy lifestyle and not trying to force the numbers down. If there is any truth to these reports, it's better to be a little high on numbers, but otherwise content with life so was curious what others have been researching and experiencing.

Bill

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,903
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,046
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

wjfyfe wrote:

.... I have came across several reports recently that appear to be showing those taking drugs or other thearpy trying to force down their numbers when in the high 100's are dying sooner then those that are just living a generally healthy lifestyle and not trying to force the numbers down. If there is any truth to these reports, it's better to be a little high on numbers, but otherwise content with life so was curious what others have been researching and experiencing.

Chances are that the study you were reading about was the ACCORD study.  It was meant to be a study about heart disease, so the researchers purposely selected subjects that were the most likely to have cardiac problems, because of their age, and other risk factors.  Then they attempted to use use medication to lower blood glucose, increasing doses as needed.  They didn't really try to make any changes in diet or activity.

After all, it was an experiment, and they didn't want to change all three of those variables at once.

Experimenters stopped that arm of the study when it became clear that what they were doing just wasn't helping.

Now, that's a lot different than what we might do for ourselves if we continue to do our best with eating and exercise and THEN add meds, so it's no reason to avoid meds or insulin if we need them. We know that lowering blood glucose reduces our chances of heart disease. That's why researchers were surprised with their results changing only meds. We can do better for ourselves by using all the tools together.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,461
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

wjfyfe wrote:

Aw Nancy,  I do believe you have sensed some my frustration. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with an A1c of 7.5. I immediately put myself on a diet, got on the exercise bike an hour a day and six months later I weighed 5 pounds less with an A1C of 7.5. OK, I went back to feeling fulfilled when eating and still exercising but not nearly to the extent I was and now yet another 6 months later I am still at the same weight but not feeling hungry, not putting myself through the grind of the exercise bike, feeling fit as a fiddle but my A1C is still 7.5. I have came across several reports recently that appear to be showing those taking drugs or other thearpy trying to force down their numbers when in the high 100's are dying sooner then those that are just living a generally healthy lifestyle and not trying to force the numbers down. If there is any truth to these reports, it's better to be a little high on numbers, but otherwise content with life so was curious what others have been researching and experiencing.

Bill

I only focused on my BG numbers -- not weight, when exercising for blood glucose control.  I did lose all 40 excess pounds within 6 months, in the process, but the weight loss did nothing for my daily BG numbers.  I still had to keep exercising, in order to keep controlling blood glucose.  And have continued to do so -- 15 years, so far, in spite of needing to add some diabetes meds to help keep the numbers good, because I've become so used to the exercise, and my resting heart rate is approaching 50 -- extreme athlete fitness level.  Keep exercising, it will do you good.  See your doctor for a followup, some advice, and possibly referral to an RD who can analyze what's going on with your meal plan, and how you might make some changes that may be beneficial.  If you weren't counting carbs before, and controlling them somehow, then whatever "diet" produced your weight loss and increased fitness level may not have also done the job of increasing BG fitness by reducing your BG numbers.  Diet and exercise for fitness and weight loss is not in and of itself going to produce better BG numbers unless you also control the carbs, carbs, carbs.  It's all about the carbs, and what you do with them with your exercise and/or meds to metabolize them.  Another thing: you may need to increase and/or rearrange your exercise plan in order to keep up with your increased fitness level from the daily exercise.  Keep exercising.  Work on improving BG numbers on your METER.  Don't worry about the piddly 5 pound gain.  Forget the scales.  Heart rate monitor is valuable tool to use, as well as BG monitor.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
nymargie
Total Posts: 60
Registered on: ‎12-30-2012

bill

Personally I would be concerned. Its possible you can feel wonderful for years and wake up some morning to some major problem which not only

change your lifestyle but your life as it once was  There alot of

information on tv and other sites that suggests diabetes can be cured...well it can be controlled in rare cases without meds...Im not a doctor just someone

who woke up one morning and couldn't see out of her right eye...

Oh that wasn't the beginning...that was forty yrs earlier when I was twenty and thought I beat diabetes...then it came back when I was thirty five for awhile.

They know alot more now and I would suggest you have a consult with a cardio doctor. I find the younger doctor more knowledgeable on the latest findings.

They are on the frontline of what diabetes can do. Get their advice on how to proceed.

Marge

Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 544
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

Bill, there is nothing wrong with those numbers assuming you intend to die at or before age 70 having been in pain from kidney failure and host of other diabetes related problems for 5 - 6 years.    Most of the studies I have seen on control (or lack thereof) seem to be slanted to either T1's in general, T1's over age 72, or diabetics over 72 in general.  Since the by-blows of diabetes take time to manifest, older folks are allowed more leeway on their BG & A1c readings.  You however belong to the younger set and since most of the complications are cumulative......     I would say that there are a LOT more good reasons to get your BG & A1c down (under 6.0) than not - even if it means taking meds.

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years