Occasional Visitor
moon12
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-07-2013

Dessert for Type 1 Diabetes

Hello!
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up later in the month, and I would like to make him a special dessert. Before I start, I understand that with portion control he could eat any dessert, but I would like him to be able to eat without the worrying. I have searched the internet for a month trying to find a recipe. I was wondering what anyone else has had success with? I was looking for a recipe with little to no sugar and very low total carbohydrates. One thing I got him to admit without sparking his curiosity was he doesn't like to eat sugar alternatives with Aspartame. Also, I would like to stay away from just making him a fruit cake. I was thinking of making an angel food cake; however I can't seem to find a recipe I like. 
It would also help if you guys could offer advice as to what is a good total carbohydrate number? No one in my family has diabetes and I really want to surprise him and do something nice. However, I am starting to get overwhelmed. Advice please!
Thank you!

Final Note; I found this recipe for peanut butter and chocolate brownies-what do you guys think?

• 1/4cup  butter
  • 3/4cup  granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3cup  cold water
  • 3/4cup  refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4cup  canola oil
  • 1teaspoon  vanilla
  • 1 1/4cups  all-purpose flour**
  • 1teaspoon  baking powder
  • 1/4cup  creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2cup  unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4cup  miniature semisweet chocolate pieces

They give sugar and  flour subsistutes:
*Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking or Sun Crystals® Granulated Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar.
**Flour Substitutes: Substitute 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, whole grain oat flour, whole grain corn flour, white bean flour, or soy flour for 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1/2 cup full-fat almond flour for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1 1/4 cups gluten-free baking mix

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Dessert for Type 1 Diabetes

[ Edited ]

moon12 wrote:

Hello!
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up later in the month, and I would like to make him a special dessert. Before I start, I understand that with portion control he could eat any dessert, but I would like him to be able to eat without the worrying. I have searched the internet for a month trying to find a recipe. I was wondering what anyone else has had success with? I was looking for a recipe with little to no sugar and very low total carbohydrates. One thing I got him to admit without sparking his curiosity was he doesn't like to eat sugar alternatives with Aspartame. Also, I would like to stay away from just making him a fruit cake. I was thinking of making an angel food cake; however I can't seem to find a recipe I like. 
It would also help if you guys could offer advice as to what is a good total carbohydrate number? No one in my family has diabetes and I really want to surprise him and do something nice. However, I am starting to get overwhelmed. Advice please!
Thank you!

Final Note; I found this recipe for peanut butter and chocolate brownies-what do you guys think?

• 1/4cup  butter
  • 3/4cup  granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend* equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3cup  cold water
  • 3/4cup  refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4cup  canola oil
  • 1teaspoon  vanilla
  • 1 1/4cups  all-purpose flour**
  • 1teaspoon  baking powder
  • 1/4cup  creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2cup  unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4cup  miniature semisweet chocolate pieces

They give sugar and  flour subsistutes:
*Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking or Sun Crystals® Granulated Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar.
**Flour Substitutes: Substitute 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, whole grain oat flour, whole grain corn flour, white bean flour, or soy flour for 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1/2 cup full-fat almond flour for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or, substitute 1 1/4 cups gluten-free baking mix

Moon,

As your boyfriend is a Type 1, fix him a REAL cake, with all the ingredients listed of whatever kind you make. He knows how to count carbs and dose his insulin accordingly.

Don't use any substitutes unless he requests that you do so. Please don't treat him as a Type 2. They must restrict foods and carbs. :smileysad:  

Type 1's are not restricted on any of it. We do, however, self restrict - accordng to what our meters show what our bodies can handle.

It is sweet of you to make him a cake, so please stop worrying and go ahead and make it - a real one. OK?

p.s. We don't worry about what we eat. We count carbs, dose for those carbs, and enjoy whatever it is we eat.

p.s. again...Type 1's know how many carbs they can handle. It is different for each and everyone of us.

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Occasional Visitor
moon12
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-07-2013

OH. Ok Thank you for your reply! I thought he said that, but I didn't want to make him a real cake and then problems happen. This is my first relationship with a diabetic, so I am still learning! 
Thank you again, I appriciate it!

Super Advisor
wildflower142
Total Posts: 729
Registered on: ‎03-26-2012

Yep make him a real cake :smileyhappy: i hope he enjoys whatever you make him!
Chris mom to 4 daughters. Ashleigh 15 years old. diagnosed Type 1 @ age 11. Pumping animas ping.
July 2014 A1C 6.1%
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,099
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

[ Edited ]

Place to look for good food recipes:

http://diabeticgourmet.com

They have all kinds of recipes, and alot of them do NOT use any sugar substitutes.   Best thing is!!  They have the carbohydrate count of the servings there :smileyvery-happy: , so there's not alot of guessing to be done on the foods.

And you can sign up to have a recipe sent to you every day automatically.   My daughter absolutely loves the 8 carb per serving Hot and Sour soup recipe there.    She'll make it when her blood sugars have been running high, she's fighting ketones and her stomach is acting up and feeling sour.  Surprisingly, that soup makes it feel better! :smileysurprised:

Edited to add:  and that soup is Delicious!!!

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Super Advisor
artwoman
Total Posts: 923
Registered on: ‎11-12-2009

You can access the FDA and/or Calorie King and enter the ingredients and amounts to come up with a carb count.  If you buy a cake mix, it wuld be there. If you're going from scratch opr a cookbook - not so much. I often find that I'll do the research into a recipe and then write down the carbcounts so I don't have to do it again.

Type 1 - 30+ years
Avid Pumper - Would never go back to MDI
CGM with Dexcom 4 - Loving it - Soo very accurate
Along with test, test,test, 10-15x a day
A1C for the past 6 years 5.3 - hard work and an a-retentive tendency pays off
Portland Oregon
Responder
SummerLove
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎07-11-2013

Make him a delicious real cake, it's his birthday he deserves it!!