Long Lost Member
pagansfolly@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎07-03-2011

what are ketnoes and please help

what are ketones? i have been in Labor and Delivery hooked to IV fluids not once but twice during this pregnancy. They said I had ketones in my urine and told me not to worry about it. they refuse to do a GD test until July 14 but on that day they have me doing a 2 hour one. They said it's because the baby was measuring 25 weeks at the 23 week growth scan.
TIA everyone ?
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,331
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Its really hard for us to know what is going on from the little information you have.

I'm assuming that up until now, you've had no diagnosis of diabetes of any kind.  I don't know what caused you to seek help and have the IVs.

Normally, when we eat, our digestive systems turn all the sugars and starches we eat into a sugar called glucose.  The glucose is absorbed out of the digestive tract and into the blood and then it is carried off to the rest of our bodies.  Most of it goes to our muscles.  We need insulin to "unlock" the muscle cells and let the glucose in.  When we need energy to move, the muscles cells "burn" the glucose.

When a person doesn't have enough glucose and they start to run short on energy, they can burn fat instead.  The problem with that is that the fat doesn't burn as cleanly the glucose, so just like a wood fire, it leaves behing some waste products.  Ketones are the waste products from burning fat. 

When people have diabetes, and they can't get the glucose into the muscles, because they don't have enough insulin, or the insulin doesn't work as well as it should, they end up burning fat and producing ketones. Even people without diabetes can produce ketones if they take in less food than they need, and start burning fat.  People on the Atkins diet sometimes try to eat so few carbs (sugar and starches) that they purposely start burning fat and look for ketones as a sign that they are successfully burning fat.  A pregnant woman might run out of food energy if she goes all the way from supper until breakfast the next morning without eating for ten or twelve hours.

The ketones can go out the same way the glucose came in, through the muscle cell walls and into blood, and be carried to the kidneys and excreted in urine.  That's no big deal as long as there are only trace amounts of ketones.  The clear problem is when there moderate or large amounts of ketones, they will be toxic, and nobody wants a developing baby exposed to that kind of poison.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I would GUESS from the way the medical people responded, that they found only trace amounts of ketones, and that is why they are not very concerned at this point. 

During the last trimester of pregnancy, if a woman has too much glucose in her blood, because it isn't getting into her muscles, that also means that too much glucose is going to the baby through the placenta.  Then it's as if the baby were "overeating" and the baby can put on too much weight, making labor and delivery more difficult,  That's why the glucose tolerance test, to see if your body can handle a large influx of glucose properly, is done at 25 weeks, as you are just about entering those last three months.. 

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Long Lost Member
pagansfolly@yahoo.com
Registered on: ‎07-03-2011

I guess some info might have made a little sense for anyone reading my post. So here is some info:

1. at my initial fasting lab OB appointment my A1C level was around 6.5. Now I have no clue what that is so if you do, please tell me.
2. my urine tests constantly show that I am spilling ketones.
3. also the baby was measuring 25 weeks at my 23 week growth scan.
4. i am not getting to take the 1 hour glucose challenge test. the dr has already decided that I must take the 2 hour test. (of course my insurance, BlueCross, is screaming bloody murder over this. They want me to take the 1 hour and then see what the results are)
5. this my 3rd pregnanct where they have found high ketone levels in my urine (this is my  5th pregnancy over all)
6. this may or may nor be relevant but in Feb 2011 I had a TIA or mini stroke, Spent 3 days in cardian care unit.

Thanks for your help.

Long Lost Member
baensidhe
Registered on: ‎07-08-2011

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,760
Topics: 190
High Fives: 1,228
Solutions: 141
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

I am not an expert on gestational diabetes. If any ladies come along with better explanations I will bow to their experience.

1. at my initial fasting lab OB appointment my A1C level was around 6.5. Now I have no clue what that is so if you do, please tell me.

That is an indication of your long term blood glucose levels. It indicates to the doctors that you have some form of diabetes. The number is not terribly high, but non-diabetics would be under 6. This needs to be correctly treated with diet and possibly medications during your pregnancy. Doctors are much stricter in the guidelines for control of diabetes during pregnancy.

2. my urine tests constantly show that I am spilling ketones.

You should discuss that with your doctor. It may be the result of high blood glucose levels, which is a concern, or it may be the result of a very low-carb diet, which is not a concern. I suspect the former.

3. also the baby was measuring 25 weeks at my 23 week growth scan.

It is not unusual for diabetic mothers to have larger babies.

4. i am not getting to take the 1 hour glucose challenge test. the dr has already decided that I must take the 2 hour test. (of course my insurance, BlueCross, is screaming bloody murder over this. They want me to take the 1 hour and then see what the results are)

I'll defer to the doctor. I'm a little surprised that they would want to put you through that stress. Accept that you have elevated blood glucose, whatever they call it, and treat it appropriately.

5. this my 3rd pregnanct where they have found high ketone levels in my urine (this is my  5th pregnancy over all)
6. this may or may nor be relevant but in Feb 2011 I had a TIA or mini stroke, Spent 3 days in cardian care unit.

Have you been diagnosed with either Gestational Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-diabetes before now? If not, it is possible you should have been.

I am cautious about suggesting dietary changes in your situation so I hope some of our ladies will be along soon.

Best wishes.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

If you like more information on gestational diabetes go to the link i am providing.

American Diabetes Association (ADA)

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html

Public Med Health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001898/

Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316

US Department of Health and Human Services

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/

Hope you find it useful.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,002
Topics: 295
High Fives: 571
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69

Bravo,

The first link that you posted, is where this discussion is taking place. Just an FYI.

Oops.....Forget what I wrote. I read the url incorrectly. Sorry

Trisha - Type 1

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

Not a problem trisha1. :smileyhappy: