Long Lost Member
linda41
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

Urine smell !

Hello, Last wk I was diagnoise with high blood pressure(hypertention) & dibeties T 2. We the Dr said we have to get my blood pressure under control befor we can treat the diabetes. My question is about the fact that I have noticed a strong smell ti my urine-almost like acid & i have never heard of anyone else yalk of this. Any help?

Linda

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Urine smell !

G'day and welcome.

First, there is no reason why you cannot start improving your diabetes management in parallel with your blood pressure treatment. In fact they should be complementary, with each aiding the other.

Your description implies that you may be getting ketones in your urine. Do you have a blood glucose test meter? I believe some also test for ketones; I can't be sure because mine does not but others may advise on that.

Please contact your doctor ASAP to discuss this and also to ask for advice on commencing yourt diabetes treatment.

In the meantime, please read this (click on it): Getting Started

You will get more responses over on the Type 2 Discussions
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Long Lost Member
linda41
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

Urine smell !

Thank You.

Linda

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,794
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Urine smell !

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Responder
robertmiles
Total Posts: 423
Registered on: ‎02-01-2010

Urine smell !

I've read that, for some people, eating asparagus produces a smell in the urine.  Therefore, you might want to think about whether you've been eating asparagus frequently lately.  I'd agree that checking for ketones is more urgent, though.
Long Lost Member
lvlkylady
Total Posts: 21
Registered on: ‎02-11-2011

Urine smell !

Hi Linda,
I can't say that I know what an acid smell is like, but I've experienced an AMMONIA smell while trying to figure out the correct amounts of foods to eat. I cut simple carbs & was eating too much protein at one point to get my calories. That was back when I was still scared of fats.

I subsequently read on Jenny Ruhl's Low Carb site that if you eat more protein than your body can use, that excess protein is broken down & converted into carbs. One of the products of the process in which this protein is broken down is ammonia. So if your lowering your carb intake & eating more protein than your body actually needs, you might smell a strong ammonia smell in your urine.

Hope you get it figured out soon.
Diagnosed Pre-D Oct 2008
No meds, D&E only
FG's Avg 98-110
March 2011 A1C = 5.5
Seeking knowledge about Diabetes since Aug 2008, to do everything within my power to avoid progression & complications. 
Family History of Type 2 - 4 generations.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Urine smell !

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Jenny's site is a great resource. You sound like you've had diabetes for a while. Are you type 1 or type 2?
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Urine smell !

The smell of ammonia in urine, also means dehydration. Drink more water and other fluids.

Trisha - Type 1 ~~ edited at 2135 central time to add a word left off
also in KY, far nw side

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Long Lost Member
lvlkylady

Urine smell !

Diagnosed Pre-D Oct 2008
No meds, D&E only
FG's Avg 98-110
March 2011 A1C = 5.5
Seeking knowledge about Diabetes since Aug 2008, to do everything within my power to avoid progression & complications. 

Long Lost Member
lvlkylady

Urine smell !

Hi Alan_

I've added a signature with a bit of info. I lurked & read alot from the old boards (read all your stuff also ... thank you) asked questions, read links, etc... I was on there for about a year, until some squabbles started daily between some regulars. I got disheartened & discouraged seeing this daily and took a siesta from this community. I continued to read anything else I can find, but I've always felt the sincere people here are the greatest source of information. Whenever I start to backslide, I know where to go for a reality check & refresher.
Diagnosed Pre-D Oct 2008
No meds, D&E only
FG's Avg 98-110
March 2011 A1C = 5.5