Visitor
sabber32
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-23-2011

Plasma donating

Hi I am wandering since I am a pre diabetic now can I still donate plasma  still ??

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,446
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Plasma donating

sabber32 wrote:

Hi I am wandering since I am a pre diabetic now can I still donate plasma  still ??

You can call 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383). They should be able to answer your question.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Long Lost Member
awendt5888
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-23-2011

Yes you can still donate blood as long as you have you blood pressure under control and your diabetes is in control check with red cross about any other meds you are taking.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,726
Topics: 75
High Fives: 959
Solutions: 111
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

sabber32 wrote:

Having diabetes or pre-diabetes does not automatically disqualify you.  Each blood donor facility will have its own specific rules about who is eligible. According to the Red Cross, "Diabetics who are well controlled on insulin or oral medications are eligible to donate."  

I guess the answer boils down to how they choose to define "well controlled".  You might not be eligible until you have another, lower A1C test.  Whether they are willing to look at current meter reading is something you would have to ask about.

Slightly off-topic, but maybe of interest to people who have had diabetes for years, "Donors with diabetes who since 1980, ever used bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant CJD, or 'mad cow' disease.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.