04-19-2011 08:56 PM - edited 09-22-2011 01:42 AM
Welcome to the American Diabetes Association Community!
We hope that you will find our website and the many individuals in our online community to be a valuable resource for you as you begin your journey to fight and manage your diabetes.
1. KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION SECURE
You are ultimately responsible for the activity connected to your account and password. Therefore, keep the account and password you have created to use our website and online community secure and do not share it with anyone.
2. ONE ACCOUNT PER MEMBER
All members are to have only one username which they use in this online community and are to post under that name exclusively.
3. BE CIVIL AND RESPECTFUL
We expect our users to act in a way that is civil, patient, and accommodating of other users, especially when disagreements arise. It can be easy to become malicious or offensive – intentionally or unintentionally – when using an online form of communication. Please keep this in mind as you post on the message boards and in the rest of the community.
Please do not post anything that is abusive, illegal, or disruptive.
4. NOT INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE
Ask your health care professional before changing treatment.
Although the information shared in this online community is periodically reviewed for accuracy, the American Diabetes Association does not intend nor endorse any information that is provided in the community or messages boards as medical advice or a substitute for consultation with your physician.
The American Diabetes Association strongly recommends that you consult your health care professional before altering any medical treatment or diet.
5. NO PRODUCT & SERVICES MARKETING OR PROSPECTING
Do not market or solicit services, products, or survey participation. The harvesting of users emails and contact information is strictly prohibited.
This is an advertising-free community, and we enforce our policy strictly. Your account may be deactivated, in our sole discretion, if you violate this community standard. We also reserve the right to edit or remove postings from any area of the online community at any time and for any reason.
6. NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR OUTSIDE LINKS – Be wary of outside links
The moderation team, however, works diligently to maintain an advice and story-sharing online community and requests your assistance in helping us. You may report any post or item you deem as inappropriate using the yellow “Report Abuse” icon in the top right corner of a post to file a complaint.
7. NO UNAUTHORIZED USE OR COPYING
The Association owns the copyright in the collective content uploaded or posted to the online community or message boards. Any redistribution, retransmission or publication of any copyrighted material is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of the copyright owner. You agree not to change or delete any proprietary notices from materials posted or uploaded to community.
Intellectual Property Protection
If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Website infringe your copyright or trademarks, you may request removal of those materials (or access thereto) from this Website by providing the following information:
- Identification of the copyrighted work that you believe to be infringed. Please describe the work, and where possible, include a copy or the location of an authorized version of the work.
- Identification of the material that you believe to be infringing and its location. Please describe the material, and provide us with its URL or any other pertinent information that will allow us to locate the material.
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the complained use of the materials is not authorized by the copyright or trademark owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information that you have supplied is accurate, and indicating that “under penalty of perjury,” you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the owner’s behalf.
- A signature or the electronic equivalent from the owner or authorized representative.
- Send this information to Community Administrator, and please include “COPYRIGHT NOTICE” in ALL CAPS in the subject line of your email.
In an effort to protect the rights of copyright and trademark owners, the American Diabetes Association maintains a policy for the termination, in appropriate circumstances, of subscribers and account holders of the online community who are repeat infringers.
8. HAVE A GOOD TIME!
Managing your diabetes can be a difficult and frustrating task, but it is our hope that you will be empowered and encouraged through learning and chatting with others in this online community. Get to know others here, and build your support network. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, give honest advice, or laugh/joke sometimes. Perhaps especially the latter!
Finally, just as your diabetes doesn’t have to define you, it doesn’t have to define your conversation on these boards! Feel free to talk about current events, sports, news, or anything that is going on in your life.
Thanks for reading,
Matt Emery (ADAMateo)
American Diabetes Association
Feel free to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions about the community or the variety of programs and online resources available from our Association. Please note, however, as a matter of precaution that I do not have diabetes.
10-05-2011 08:16 PM
Please consider making the above Community Standards post a sticky on each Support Forum Section.
It may not deter the snake oil sellers from posting, but at least there will be no excuses for the "I just found this wonderful (fill in the cure of your choice)" people. At the moment it seems to be only on the Tools & info forum.
04-25-2012 11:18 PM - edited 07-22-2012 12:11 PM
This individual message was moved due to the fact that it was meant for another forum. The topic itself remains here.
The Moderation Team