Occasional Visitor
teamcarroll6
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011
Helpful Response

Winter Snowmobiling

I plan to surprise my 20 year old son, who has type 2 diabetes, with a three day snowmobiling trip this January.  We have done various summer outdoor events together, but this will be our first winter event.  We will return to a hotel each night.  Any special items he needs to be aware of in the cold?

Thanks,

Tom

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,850
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,019
Solutions: 112
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Winter Snowmobiling

[ Edited ]

Being outside in cold weather can burn a lot more calories than everday activities, and that means a lot of carbs too.  A person might need to eat double or more the calories they usually eat if they stay outside for hours at a time in subzero weather.  Definitely carry snacks like bars or raisins in those snowmobile suit pockets. 

If he wants to be able to test outside, he should keep his meter and strips in a pocket INSIDE the suit.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,448
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Winter Snowmobiling

Wow.....what a fun thing to do with your son. We went snowmobiling last year and as Molly says....keep his meter inside his coat or even his shirt...next to his body. The only problem I had was that one of the other guys broke down and we had to wait for a truck, my feet and hands were really cold ( we sat with our snowmobiles off so No heated handles or seats for an hour), so the next time out we took the hand warmers and boot warmers.....made a huge difference. We also took hot soup and lots of snacks the second time because for some reason I was very hungry during the ride.

Good Luck to you....................................See ya..............................Big Red.........................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.