Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,537
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Top 10 Reasons to Exercise

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aerobic-exercise/EP00002

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Re: Top 10 Reasons to Exercise

Reason 11: What else are you gonna do with that extra hour today?  :smileywink:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,610
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

how about the top 10 reasons.. my 10 toes

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
ladyvirago
Total Posts: 22
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

My motivation to exercise is for reasons #8 and #9, improving my mood and maintaining my mobility as I age. I noticed years ago that my body craves being active. I don't work out as intensely as I used to since I surpassed the 10,000 mile mark on my stationary bike and as I transition into my 50's. A leisuresly 30-minute walk at lunch is sometimes all the time that I have. I see my father at age 81 who has always been industrious, but not of the generation who has a structured exercise program, has wonderful mobility. I started out small, a variety of activities and comfortable gear keeps me moving throughout the seasons, and maintaining an activity diary is helpful to see my progress. Make that commitment to keep moving today. :-)
Responder
steveparkermd
Total Posts: 50
Registered on: ‎03-10-2010

The Mayo article focuses on aerobic exercise.  I think strength training is just as important, if not more so.  Two other benefits of exercise not mentioned in the article are 1) injury resistance, and 2) recovery and maintenance of flexibility.

-Steve

-------------------------
Steve Parker, M.D.

Disclaimer: All matters regarding your health require supervision by a personal physician or other appropriate health professional familiar with your current health status. Always consult your personal physician before making any dietary or exercise changes.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

steveparkermd wrote:

The Mayo article focuses on aerobic exercise.  I think strength training is just as important, if not more so.  Two other benefits of exercise not mentioned in the article are 1) injury resistance, and 2) recovery and maintenance of flexibility.

-Steve

Mayo Clinic also has a whole bunch of video how-tos on strength training, covering 5 body-weight exercises, 9 resistance-tubing exercises, 8 free-weight exercises, and 9 weight-machine exercises, acknowledging that "Strength training is an important part of an overall fitness program."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/MY00033

Responder
riya123
Total Posts: 43
Registered on: ‎12-27-2011

Exercise is always good for health and fitness. People are always believe on safe and natural ways to control or cure diseases. Exercise is one of the best way to control it. Diabetes can also control with the help of exercise because exercise is helpful for weight loss and weight loss can also to control the blood sugar level in the body.

Responder
heatherkins
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-25-2012

I find my BS levels drop pretty significantly when I exercise and stay at amazing levels for the rest of the day. If I don't have a snack before, I usually end up at 65-70. So, I do have to be careful of that.

Diagnosed on 1/12/12 with A1C of 8.6
Prescribed 500 MG Metformin ER
Visited Endocrinologist on 2/20/12 and taken off med's completely
Now, maintaining my BS through diet and exercise
Frequent Responder
wintersquash
Total Posts: 131
Registered on: ‎01-13-2012

I just had a conversation with my sister about fitness opportunities that hide through out her day.  She wants to go to the gym more often but I don't want her to get frustrated.  She lives in a walking neighborhood and the weather is clearing up.  Exercise is way easy to get in everyday.

Current A1C is 5.6
Occasional Visitor
kevinwh
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-03-2012

Aerobic exercise is good however strength training is really good to. The reason is because it helps with arthritis. Your joints are connected to your muscles so when you exercise one the other gets stronger as well. 

Also, I would like to add a reason.

Reason 11, makes it so you don't feel so guilty when indulging in a dessert. :smileyhappy: