Occasional Responder
txgolfer45
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎10-21-2011

Pre-workout supplement?

I've been working out in the gym regularly for several years now.  Through my weight training, I've dropped about 50 lbs in weight.  At this point, I can get leaner.  But, also want to increase muscle mass.  I'm 5'7" and weigh 155 lbs.  I've been drinking protein shakes prior to workouts.  But, I'm considering changing to a pre-workout supplement instead or coupled with a protein shake. 

The supplement I'm considering is at the following link:

http://www.ndsnutrition.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=126

Concerns are that it has sucralose and maltodextrin in it.  The overall serving calories and carbs are definitely low.  But, was wondering if these sugar substitutes are ok. 

Responder
scott-french3
Total Posts: 46
Registered on: ‎01-26-2010

Re: Pre-workout supplement?

I'm going to send the product facts to my dr for his input.  It is a popular product for bodybuilders.  Wasn't sure if there were any red flags for a type 2 diabetic.   Guess, no one has any experience with it.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,550
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

how much weight are you pushing in your resistance exercises?  are you exhausting your muscles, then giving the appropriate time to rest before hitting them again?  I'm just not into supplements for muscle building.  lots of protein, lots of calories, lots of work is what I think is most important.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
scott-french3

[ Edited ]

I vary my weight training program to challenge the muscles with different exercises.  I finished up a 12 week program where we were lifting to failure on each exercise.  We typically lift for 45 -60 minutes.  Currently doing a program designed to reduce body fat.  Will be on that program another week.

I've been supplementing with protein.  Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein and Labrada Carb Watcher Lean Body meal replacements. 

For bench, after warmup, I've been pushing 135 for two sets of 6 reps.  On a seated bench machine, I'm benching 180 - 185 lbs.  For leg press, the last two sets of 6 reps were 410 lbs.  Bicep curls usually with 70 - 75 lb barbell. Hope that gives you an idea of the weight I've been using. 

During the 12 week program we did Chest and Tricep on Monday, Leg, abs and shoulders on Wednesday and Bicep and back on Friday.  No lifting over the weekend.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,550
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

That's a pretty nice routine.  Depending on your body chemistry, once a week exhaustion might not be enough for some people.  Also, make sure you eat enough afterwards to give your muscles something to grow with.  

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
scott-french3

Ok, my Dr. reviewed the ingredients for the pre-workout supplement and said it was ok for me to take. 

Responder
blueflaamme
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎10-22-2011

As a coach, and previously nationally ranked weight lifter,  i would never advise a lifter to have a huge amount of calories before a workout....it keeps your blood in your gut dealing with digestion and assimilating those calories and not in your muscles.

since learning i am diabetic, i have had to rewrite the book on calories consumed during workout.  

strictly from a stanpoint of you effort to gain mass and irrespective of you diabetes,  if your workout is that intense or over an hour , i would recommend some times release BCAA's coupled with a modest workout drink....like a 130 calory power aid (I like power aid over gatoraid because it has a better electrolite balance)

if you want to gain mass and your kidneys are healthy,  i would reommend 6 gms of pure creatine monohydrate daily.  it's the one that works, it works by making one of the primary sources of muscle energy...creatine....available to you muscles enabling you to lift heavier and hence stimulating a greater training effect. 

working muscles have three sources of energy...creatine is in your cells and is tapped in the first 30 seconds of exertion...as in a rep....then atp (adenosine triphosfate) is the next energy source tappeed in the next 2 to 3 minutes.   then for longer exertions carbs and fats are tapped (bear in mind this is an oversimpliplification)

the time for your protein shake is *immediately* after your workout!!!   in normal (nondiabetic people) the greatest uptake of the cells of energy and the least insulin resistance is in the famous 30 minute winder after working out...then the 2 hour window.  

i can't advise you on blood glucose and related topics, as i was only recedntly diagnosed myself,  but i can tell you without doubt doubt that the single best thing you can do to stimulate muscle growth, power and strength,  is supplement with creatine. the nice thing about it is that 6 gms of creatine is only about 1 tespoon full and only about 16 to 20 calories...what makes it cool is that the calories are targeted to precisely that which muscles need most fo power and strength for efforts under 30 seconds (like each rep of an 8 rep set)

Stay away from "amplified creatine"  The only thing it is amplified with is a whopping dose of sugar...in a normal person, the sugar would stimulate an insulin spike.  insulin is a key that turns a lock on the cell membrane of a normal person that lets energy into the cell.

Responder
scott-french3

Thanks blueflaame for the input.  The pre-workout supplement i take has creatine in it.  I try to get the protein shake right after a workout.