Frequent Responder
cathy6254
Total Posts: 155
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Increase in blood sugar after exercise in a.m.

Hi - my morning bg is a problem - because of dp, my fasting bg is usually over 125.  I eat minimal carbs - only 2 eggs for breakfast, and get a spike of at least 40.  I exercise 30 minutes on an elliptical and a bike - at moderate intensity, about 30-40 minutes after eating. and my bs either stays the same or rises.  This morning my fbs was 125, after eating 177, after exercise 188.

If I eat more carbs at breakfast, I have an even higher spike.  Not sure what else to do - this is the best time for me schedule-wise to exercise during the day.  If I don't exercise my bg doesn't really go down by itself either.

After noon time my bg finally is down to 110 or so. But between waking at 6 a.m. and noon, it's a mess.

5 months ago I started taking glipizide 2.5 mg 2x day.  My a1c increased from 6.5 to 6.8 and I gained 5 lbs! So I cut the glipizide down to 2.5 mg in the evening.  I think it helps control my bs after the evening meal.  I'm taking 2500 metformin.  Not sure if the glip is really doing anything.  Would it matter if I took the glip in the morning?

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Cathy
DX 2006 7.3 - Current A1c=7.2, 4 yr avg. = 6.7 - Glumetza 2000mg/day, Apidra, Levemir
Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

For many, the dreaded Darn Phenomenon causes a rise in blood sugar in the morning.  And exercise can amplify the effects.  Bernstein actually recommends that you "not" exercise in the morning because of this issue.  Is it possible to exercise later in the day?
Frequent Responder
cathy6254

Thanks for your reply.  I already exercise in the p.m. also, but find that I'm not as consistent - seems like at the end of the day there's always something or someone else that needs your time.  I try for 1 hr/day, but need to split it up.  I was hoping there was a way to lower my bg during the a.m. exercise, but if not - I'll stop and just 30 minutes/day in the evening and see what happens.

I just ordered Bernstein's book.  Hope to have it soon -

Thanks for your reply and advice.
DX 2006 7.3 - Current A1c=7.2, 4 yr avg. = 6.7 - Glumetza 2000mg/day, Apidra, Levemir
Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

I think we all struggle with busy lives.  I have moved away from longer exercise sessions to more focused, intense and time efficient sessions.  I do weightlifting and then do "intervals."  Studies have found that "intervals", there times a week, 20-30 minutes is just as effective as 5 hours a week of steady state cardio.

You can try mixing up some of the variables in your morning routine and see if that helps.  Believe it or not, you could try some carbs before workout and see if that helps.  I take a protein shake with a cup of milk (12g carbs) first thing when I awake.  I find the carbs actually stops my DP.  You may find a few carbs before workouts help.  The other thing you could try is to "back off" the exercise.  My blood sugar rises when I exercise intensely.  If I back off it drops.  Instead of the elliptical, try a walk.

As to the Bernstein book, I am a fan of Bernstein, I first read his book in 2006.  He advocates a very low carb diet.  I know of many people who have found his principles helpful even if they never adopted his level of diet, I certainly found a low carb diet central to my treatment.
Frequent Responder
cathy6254

Thanks for the info on intervals.  Sounds like a great time saver. I may try it at night vs. the 30 minute cardio - with the nice weather coming, even more things tugging at me!

Been trying lower intensity cardio in the morning, with a little weight lifting - it seems to be working - my bg does go down - not as low as I would like, but it goes down and I can still get some exercise in. 

The protein shake sounds good - will give it a try - I've tried 1/2 slice of toast with the eggs, or a little cereal/oatmeal but that just shot my bg way up. 

I'm still waiting for the Bernstein book to arrive - extreme snail mail!  Eating low carb is key for me also.  Try to stay under 25 or so carbs - otherwise the dreaded spike.

Thanks again!