Occasional Visitor
Robin632
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎06-10-2012

How long should I wait before walking after my evening meal?

I usually walk at night for my exercise. I walk not long after eating my dinner meal...I never gave it much thought about that being too soon. How long should I wait before walking after eating? Also I have only been walking for a couple of weeks.. I usually walk for about a half hour...is that enough? Thanks for any and all help.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,209
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: How long should I wait before walking after my evening meal?

Robin632 wrote:

I usually walk at night for my exercise. I walk not long after eating my dinner meal...I never gave it much thought about that being too soon. How long should I wait before walking after eating? Also I have only been walking for a couple of weeks.. I usually walk for about a half hour...is that enough? Thanks for any and all help.

Great job with the walking, Robin!  I don't eat much at one time, so it doesn't matter much for me how long I wait to walk, but it's usually anywhere from a half hour afterwards to an hour and a half.  And, half an hour of walking is more than I started with at first.  I had to work up to it gradually, so I walked about 10 minutes after every meal, and 5 minutes after snacks.  I kept increasing the minutes until I saw the results on my bg meter that I was looking for.  I aimed to be around 100 after exercise, because that's the level I wanted to start from before I ate my next meal or snack, and where I wanted to be at bedtime and the following morning.  What are your current goals?  Are you testing after your walks?  Getting good morning fasting levels?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 782
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

I have been using exercise after meals as my method for glucose control since about two weeks after I was diagnosed in June 2009.  Whether walking or riding my recumbent stationary bike, I begin at about 80-90 minutes after my first bite. After 20-30 minutes of exercise, I rest for a few minutes and then I test my 2HPP.

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 260 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 155 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Advisor
diabetes86
Total Posts: 578
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

At 90 minutes after eating what are your numbers? 

Testing your 2 hour while exercising is stacking the deck.

the 2 hour test is ment to see how well your body recovers from food, your using it to see how well the exercise is working.

Dont get me wrong exercise is great and helthfull, just dont use your exercise BG reading as an indicater of your bodys reaction to food its mesuring your bodys reaction to exercise.

T2 since 86 insulin since 2000 Omnipod pump since 5/12
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted

diabetes86: Were you addressing that question to me? I'm going to answer even if it wasn't. 

I discovered early on through careful testing that my peak is about 90 mins after my last bite, which is usually right about 2 hrs after my first bite. The number you request is my peak, which is high 80s - 110 or so without exercise, depending on which meal.  After exercise, my breakfast 2HPP might be in the low 80s and occasionally high 70s. Lunch or dinner 2HPP after exercise is quite often in the 90s. I use exercise as my diabetes medicine, and my numbers are great as a result, as you can see in my sig. 

Doesn't matter what you call it, my method works for me, and my MD agrees. As long as it works, I will keep on keeping on. So if it's stacking the deck as you call it, that's fine by me. Every good card player knows how to play a hand to his/her own advantage. I don't consider my control method to be cheating. We are ALL different. We achieve our goals in often similar, but sometimes VERY different ways.  My best "play" was to lose 105 lbs, which my MD said has corrected my insulin resistance. These days, with a consistant (some would say boring) day-to-day mealplan,  I am a lot more concerned about calories than about carbs, because I never EVER want to regain that lost weight. When/if the time comes that my method no longer works, I will do whatever I need to do. 

When people ask for opinions here about food or exercise or medications or whatever,  they get personal opinions and stories about what works for the individual who replied. Sometimes we all need to agree to disagree on a lot of those opinions. Just MY opinion of course. YMMV :smileyhappy: Thanks for asking.

Little Rock, Arkansas
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,209
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

diabetes86 wrote:

the 2 hour test is ment to see how well your body recovers from food, your using it to see how well the exercise is working.

Dont get me wrong exercise is great and helthfull, just dont use your exercise BG reading as an indicater of your bodys reaction to food its mesuring your bodys reaction to exercise.

I do the same thing as SugarFrosted Anna.  I have never tested "just food", but food combined with exercise, which is still my main control method, although I added meds a couple of years ago after 11 years of only diet and exercise control.  Others who are taking meds are also not just testing food, but food combined with their meds, which is their control method.  The two hour test (or any, for that matter) tells me how well *everything* is working together, because to separate them out any further and constantly test a bazillion different things would be like going back to day one with no meds or exercise.  Each and every time I look at my meter, I'm getting the combined result of all my methods and how they are working for my own individual metabolism.  No way am I going to sit around and wait 2 hours after eating just to test.  I need to exercise to get the results I want.  So I do it.  I'm not going to stop just because I don't want the exercise to factor into my reading, because I'm still going to do it, and not only that: the results of PREVIOUS exercise are often so ongoing that we can still be seeing the results of whatever activity was done previously, so it's all running together, all the time.  An ongoing thing, which we can catch and test at any time to retrieve valuable information which can be used for food, exercise, and/or meds adjustments.  The 90-minute post-meal/before exercise test tells me that I need to exercise (I have diabetes, and food makes bg go up), and the 2-hour post-meal/after exercise test tells me I'm glad I exercised (exercise makes bg go down).  It's almost like having normal pancreatic function.  :smileyhappy:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

diabetes86 wrote:

At 90 minutes after eating what are your numbers? 

Testing your 2 hour while exercising is stacking the deck.

I know it's beena while since this discussion, but what does "stacking the deck" mean?  English is my second language and some idioms are foreign to me.  LOL

I DID NOT exercise after meals when I was trying to figure out when my peak was after my diagnoses.  Once I figured that out and now know when to test, I also use exercise like meds to help my numbers low.  (I'm off metformin and lisinopril now.)  I will get on my stationary bike for 15 or 20 minutes - depending how many carbs I've consumed - then I'll test at 1.5 hours after my first bite (peak), and if it's over 140, I'll get back on my stationary bike for another 10 minutes and test at 2 hour mark.  By then I'm usually back in my 100's.  If I've eaten 'safe' foods, I'll give myself a break from after-meal exercise.  I do, however, walk daily after breakfast for about 45 minutes and then do resistance rower and dumb-bells in the evenings,

I also DID NOT test when I was trying to figure out the ratio between carbs and the blood sugar my body reacts to.  Now I know 1 carb will increase my blood sugar about 3.5 points.

Now I CANNOT not exercise after meals.  I just can't sit still anymore.  Even if I'm not exercising, I'm pacing around my house.

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted

LilMissDaisy, "stacking the deck" implies cheating in some way, to gain an advantage over someone or something. If you literally stack the deck while playing cards, you can arrange them so you can deal the best cards for yourself (if you are skilled and don't get caught) so that you can win. Personally I don't see how  that applies to one's own diabetes selfcare.  Anything that helps control blood sugar in a healthy way...exercise, carb control, medication, whatever...is OK in my opinion, and is  NOT cheating. 

I'm curious now...what is your first language? 

Little Rock, Arkansas
105 lb total weightloss
Super Advisor
cmkeyse
Total Posts: 452
Registered on: ‎03-17-2010

Why not try exercising before meals, less affects on digestion. Exercise burns glucose stored in the muscles first and replenishing glucose stores can take up to 48 hours.

After meals light exercise is ok for me, but I wait on heavyer exercise because of stress on digestion and stress on the heart. I usually do heavy exercise before meals.

Chuck