Responder
mrsvideoman
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎09-11-2011

diabetic smoothies

Does anyone have a good and tasty recipe for fruit smoothies which are good for diabetes?
islandmyke
Total Posts: 9
Registered on: ‎09-16-2011

diabetic smoothies

if there are any good recipies out there for a fruit smoothy, i would like to know too

Diagnosed:  Sept. 15th, 2011
Managed:     Metaformin®, Diet, Exercise

My Blog:   http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/macmyke (a story of my personal journey) 

Responder
foxboro1967
Total Posts: 21
Registered on: ‎09-15-2011

diabetic smoothies

Hi,  This recipe was on Dr. Oz today.  I'm going to try it myself in the morning. 
   1 cup greek yogurt
    1/3 cup almonds
    1/2 cup berries

Add greek yogurt, almonds and berries to a blender, blend until smooth.

Sounds good, I will let you know how it goes for me tommorrow........:smileyhappy:  foxboro1967
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

diabetic smoothies

I love fruit smoothies.....I keep frozen blueberries around just for that occasion.
I use carbmaster 4 gr carb flavored yogurt, or plain greek yogurt, it just depends on what kind I'm making.
Frozen or fresh berries , yogurt and vanilla protein powder is my favorite or greek yogurt, strawberries and chocolate protein powder.
If I am going to work out I can usually handle putting a banana in there too but I do some intense workouts to burn it off.
You don't have to use the protein powder, I make reg smoothies without the powder , have never added nuts , that ius something I might try but I have added ground flax meal for the fiber and omega 3.....it is an aquired taste.....makes the smoothie a little chewy.

P.S. My son ( Non-D) likes his with a little cottage cheese added to the fruit and berries. He also makes a drink with watermelon and cucumber, he just puts it in the blender and adds a little water if needed.

Let us know if you come up with a good one.

See ya...................Big Red...................Peace
Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Visitor
suze214
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎09-22-2011

Re: diabetic smoothies

Hi there, yes! 1 cup sugar free Almond Milk (has only 3 grams carbs and no sugar like regular milk), 5 frozen strawberries, 1 scoop whey protein powder, and some stevia to taste. Blend in blender - delish! Optional: add 1/2 tsp vanilla, and/or 1tsp almond butter. Great for right after a workout.  Also great with frozen blueberries or any kind of berry.

Another option is to add a big handful of raw spinach to the mix. It really tastes great and adds a lot of nutrients.

Frequent Responder
cathykitta
Total Posts: 62
Registered on: ‎08-31-2011

Hmmm,

I haven't tried any of those "products" yet like Almond or Soy milks, nor any whey protien, I was wondering about them though. Where would you say is the best place to find out what is best for me as far as this goes. Like Calking, or where? Thanks, I am still new to all of this and am trying hard to find good things to eat that I will be satisfied and feel like I ate something I really liked. It sounds good to me, I love fruit and yogurt!

You can ignore it, but, it won't ignore you! It exists, deal with it, cuz if you don't, it will deal with you!

Metformin, 500 2x a day

Pray and obey...very hard to do sometimes...but well worth it!
God Bless, Cathy
Visitor
suze214
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎09-22-2011

Hi Cathy

You can get the almond milk in any grocery store, or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. The house brands of the latter 2 are really good. Otherwise, Silk is a good brand. Blue Diamond makes it also, but I am not sure if they use GMO ingredients so I stay clear of them.

It really is nice to have a treat like this every so often.:smileyhappy:

Susan

Frequent Responder
cathykitta

suze214 wrote:

Hi Cathy

You can get the almond milk in any grocery store, or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. The house brands of the latter 2 are really good. Otherwise, Silk is a good brand. Blue Diamond makes it also, but I am not sure if they use GMO ingredients so I stay clear of them.

It really is nice to have a treat like this every so often.:smileyhappy:

Susan

Hi Susan,

I was looking at the Almond milk and soy milks at the store yesturday...which is better for us? No sugar is awesome and that would alow me to have milk, it really spikes my sugar! I heard soy is not good for people with cancer and I have cancer in my family hystory, so I am going to do some reading up on that. If I find anything worth posting I will put it up on here. Thanks for the recomendations. I am going to buy the ingredients for the baking mix that Barb listed here also. Hey, if I can have smoothies and baked goods...without raising my sugars to the sky, I will be a happy camper!

"You can ignore it, but, it won't ignore you! It exists, deal with it, cuz if you don't, it will deal with you!"

Metformin, 500 2x a day

God Bless, Cathy
Frequent Responder
cathykitta

grannyred wrote:
I love fruit smoothies.....I keep frozen blueberries around just for that occasion.
I use carbmaster 4 gr carb flavored yogurt, or plain greek yogurt, it just depends on what kind I'm making.
Frozen or fresh berries , yogurt and vanilla protein powder is my favorite or greek yogurt, strawberries and chocolate protein powder.
If I am going to work out I can usually handle putting a banana in there too but I do some intense workouts to burn it off.
You don't have to use the protein powder, I make reg smoothies without the powder , have never added nuts , that ius something I might try but I have added ground flax meal for the fiber and omega 3.....it is an aquired taste.....makes the smoothie a little chewy.

P.S. My son ( Non-D) likes his with a little cottage cheese added to the fruit and berries. He also makes a drink with watermelon and cucumber, he just puts it in the blender and adds a little water if needed.

Let us know if you come up with a good one.

See ya...................Big Red...................Peace

Hi,

As far as the protien powder goes, this would be used in place of a meal yes? Is there a certain amount that is recomended for certain foods? Or, how does protien powder work, I have never used it(as you can see) for anything. Thanks

Metformin, 500 2x a day

God Bless, Cathy
Frequent Responder
wintersquash
Total Posts: 131
Registered on: ‎01-13-2012

1 cup unsweetend almond milk, strawberries, spinach, and whey protein powder.  Blend until smooth and enjoy. 

Current A1C is 5.6