Advisor
tinajohnson1966
Total Posts: 69
Registered on: ‎09-23-2012

almond milk

I love almond milk with cereal ... I eat cheerios with almond milk for lunch every day... my meter doesn't like it in the morning but at lunch it works pretty good (after your coworkers finish teasing you of course).

Does anyone know if almond milk works for making instant pudding or maybe cheesecake? Hate to try it and waste it since is a smidge expensive
Diagnosed 5/5/12. Metformin ER 1500 daily - a1c at diagnosis 9. Now 5.8 ...working hard to keep it
Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 812
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Re: almond milk

I have used almond milk for pudding, but it doesn't "set" well enough. The pudding tastes fine but is just too loose for my preference. You could use half almond milk and half something else like cream if the calories are not too big an issue.

I have never tried it in cheesecake. 

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 265 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 160 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Aug'14 A1c: 5.4 F 78
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
Established Advisor
bugbarb
Total Posts: 553
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

If you're into pudding, try this:

2 packages instant sugar free pudding

1 package silken tofu

1 cup milk, canned milk or experiment with another milk replacement

put tofu into blender with 1 cup milk and pureee

pour into mixing bowl and add pudding mix

mix with mixer

if you want a thinner pudding, add more milk but I like mine thick

or

1 package instant sugar free pudding

vanilla extract

1 package silken tofu

water 

whole powdered milk (klim or Nido)

1/4 cup sweetener (or sweeten to taste)  optional

put tofu into blender with enough water to get it to puree

pour tofu puree into mixing bowl

Add some vanilla

add 2/3 cup or so of powdered whole milk

add sweetener if you want to

blend until thoroughly mixed

if it's too thick, just add some milk or water.

yum

I suppose you could try almond milk.....makes me want to try it.   I invented this recipe when my digestive system was not handling 'real food' well and needed a way to get enough protein in  me.  I used to eat this as a meal.  sorry about not having exact measurements, but I'm a mad kitchen inventor and try a bit of this and some of that and maybe more of this, so no exact measurements.  

All measurements given are approximate.

Too much of a good food will raise my blood glucose.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I just bought a carton of almond milk that I saw on the shelf at Trader Joe's.  Even though it's plain, unsweetened almond milk like my usual Diamond brand, it has a slight "roasty" flavor that I'm not used to.  I think it might be okay for pouring on cereal or oatmeal, but don't think I can bring myself to drink it.  Of course, it took me a while to bring myself to drink the other one, too.  LOL  Maybe I'll mix the two brands together, but I'm pretty sure that I'll still like plain unsweetened soy milk better.  Next to skim milk -- which is pretty hard to beat, but now I only use a little in my morning cup of coffee.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Responder
SamQuick
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎12-24-2012

I tried almond milk with my cereal today and it almost made me cry.  I had to pour it down the bowl.  Upside. - I stayed extra low on the carbs for that meal.

Type 2
DX - 12/11/2012
A1C - 9.4 - 12/27/2012
Triglicerides - Astronomical
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,444
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

SamQuick wrote:

I tried almond milk with my cereal today and it almost made me cry.  I had to pour it down the bowl.  Upside. - I stayed extra low on the carbs for that meal.

You would probably have had much better post-meal numbers if you had drunk the almond milk and poured all the cereal down the bowl.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

SamQuick wrote:

Not all almond milk brands taste the same.  Some are better than others.  Don't give up.  I like the Blue Diamond brand of plain unsweetened almond milk the best.  Accidentally bought a carton of the "regular" the other day, and found out that not only did it have 4 times as many carbs, I didn't like it nearly as well as the unsweetened.  So down the drain it went. Taste buds can adjust.  Give them time.  The first time I bought soy milk I couldn't stand it.  Now I love it, and am drinking the plain, unsweetened Silk brand soy milk in my morning cereal mix that I make up myself.  When trying something new, don't expect to like it the first time.  Mix it with something you like, or water it down with water.  Try various brands.  They all have a slightly different taste.  There's also a chance that you may have accidentally bought one that was "past its freshness peak".  When milk starts to go bad, it takes a while, and you have some hints beforehand, but when soy milk goes bad, it can be overnight.  Practically instantaneous.  Almond milk is somewhere in-between in how fast it goes bad once it starts.  Always reach in the very back of the grocery shelf to get the very freshest carton of all these.  It pays off, and you get a good upper-body stretch, to boot!  :smileywink:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Responder
SamQuick

[ Edited ]
Spoiler

You would probably have had much better post-meal numbers if you had drunk the almond milk and poured all the cereal down the bowl.

Why?

Type 2
DX - 12/11/2012
A1C - 9.4 - 12/27/2012
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,619
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,444
Solutions: 163
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Why?

Because of the high carbohydrate content of the cereal compared to the almond milk. Instead of seeking a palatable milk to go with your cereal, consider seeking a better breakfast for good post-prandial blood glucose levels. 

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Responder
SamQuick

[ Edited ]

alan_s wrote:

Why?

Because of the high carbohydrate content of the cereal compared to the almond milk. Instead of seeking a palatable milk to go with your cereal, consider seeking a better breakfast for good post-prandial blood glucose levels. 

OK.  I figured that.  I usually don't eat cereal for breakfast.anymore...you have been a big help to me already, unknowingly.  I wondered if it was because the levels would have been better on a full stomach.  I poured it all out and went without.  I have been having cereal sometimes as a later meal - like supper. I usually have a more protein-ey breakfast.  I was excited about trying the almond milk that day, though, and couldn't wait.  

Type 2
DX - 12/11/2012
A1C - 9.4 - 12/27/2012