Advisor
tinajohnson1966
Total Posts: 69
Registered on: ‎09-23-2012

almased?

Anyone ever tried this stuff? I see it advertised and think it might be useful in the morning for meals ... but its expensive so would like feedback b4 trying it.
Diagnosed 5/5/12. Metformin ER 1500 daily - a1c at diagnosis 9. Now 5.8 ...working hard to keep it
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,346
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,362
Solutions: 154
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: almased?

I had not heard of it.

But the FDA has: 

Almased USA, Inc. 1/18/12 (click on that to read the details).

Department of Health and Human Services' logoDepartment of Health and Human Services

Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration
  Florida District
555 Winderley Place, Suite 200
Maitland, Florida 32751
Telephone: 407-475-4700
FAX: 407-475-4770

CERTIFIED MAIL
RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

WARNING LETTER

FLA-12-21

January 18, 2012

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Algeciras, Spain to Tangier, Morocco)
Advisor
tinajohnson1966

I'm not too worried about the FDA .... sounds like they are blowing smoke as usual. I don't tend to trust agencies much lol.... does anyone know if it actually tastes good?
Diagnosed 5/5/12. Metformin ER 1500 daily - a1c at diagnosis 9. Now 5.8 ...working hard to keep it
alan_s

I'll stay out of the debate about your FDA for the moment, apart from noting that I believe they do far more good than harm.

Have you considered cheaper and more natural foods for the morning? For example: BreakfastsHowever, as you appear ready to try almased I searched for some of the scientific support they claim on their web-page.

Here it is: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Cancer – a Nutrition-oriented Intervention Study

I always read this section of a study first: 

Conflict-of-interest

KSZ is has a consultant voting member of the scientific advisory board of the Almased-Group. KSZ has no stock or proftsharing in these companies.

I found the discussion section quite interesting. I agree with their basic premise that appropriate nutrition can be a primary aid to improving blood glucose management. As a diabetic with leukaemia I have also been aware of the link between cancer and uncontrolled blood glucose levels, but that interesting discussion wasn't directly relevant to the study and its results.

I am a skeptic for products of this type. That does not necessarily mean it may not work, but I achieved almost exactly the same A1c reduction and a better FBG reduction over a shorter period after diagnosis using my own diet and Test, Review, Adjust. Just as important, I deliberately chose a way of eating I could continue for the rest of my life and I've maintained that control for a decade. That is a long time to be buying an expensive dietary supplement.

Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Advisor
tinajohnson1966

While I respect your opinion.... I also know that I tend to lose quite a bit of weight when I use meal replacement shakes in the morning so I am just trying to get opinions of someone who has tried these. While I do have time on the weekend to sit and have breakfast.... my weekday mornings don't offer the option. I do occasionally eat eggs but have yet to find a bread or tortilla that works for me to carry them in... and it is hard to eat eggs on the run. I can't hardboil them unfortunately.... the unpleasant after effects are not an option when working in a cubicle. I will continue trying different shake options... just was researching this one
alan_s

tinajohnson1966 wrote:
While I respect your opinion.... I also know that I tend to lose quite a bit of weight when I use meal replacement shakes in the morning so I am just trying to get opinions of someone who has tried these. While I do have time on the weekend to sit and have breakfast.... my weekday mornings don't offer the option. I do occasionally eat eggs but have yet to find a bread or tortilla that works for me to carry them in... and it is hard to eat eggs on the run. I can't hardboil them unfortunately.... the unpleasant after effects are not an option when working in a cubicle. I will continue trying different shake options... just was researching this one

Best wishes in your search. I hope the Almased performs as you wish it to.

One version of eggs I've eaten on the run myself, using a spoon from the mug, is microwave scrambled.