Frequent Responder
pinksugar
Total Posts: 54
Registered on: ‎02-10-2011

What kind of bread can I eat if any?

So, I know that whole wheat has more nutrients, but have read that it can cause a spike in blood glucose. So, can a diabetic eat any kind of bread at all? I'm fond of whole wheat sandwiches, but don't know if I can have that anymore.

T2, 500mg Metformin 3xday, A1C 6.1 at diagnosis. Diagnosed 2/7/11.
A1C 5.5 as of 5/9/11. Back to A1C 6.1 as off 8/2013
Diabeetus.? Its like diabetes only more evil!

Contributor
jbronste
Total Posts: 428
Registered on: ‎01-13-2010

The only way to know how many carbs you can eat and still stay at a good number is to test before eating and then at your peak, which may be 1, 1.5, or 2 hours after your first bite of food. You don't want to spike more than 40 points at a meal and you don't want to be above 140 at 2 hours after eating.

Personally, 1 piece of bread is my limit. But they make sandwich thins that are the equivalent of 1 piece, and there are also flat-out bread wraps which make excellent sandwiches and are low in carbs.
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Pepridge Farms makes a very low carb (7 per slice) whole wheat that is decent, called CarbStyle. I've also heard Sara Lee has a simular bread.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

It isn't so much a question of what kind of bread you can eat, as how much of it you can eat and what time of day you can eat it.

Choose the bread that has the best combination of taste, nutrition and texture that you like but use your meter to discover the safe portion sizes of that bread for you. This will help you do that (click on it): Test, Review, Adjust

If your meter shows that the portion size is too small to be worth buying that bread, then consider looking for low-carb types of bread. I chose to drastically reduce my bread intake instead.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

There are several good low-carb breads.  I eat the Nature's Own Double Fiber one and really like it.  It has about 9 net carbs per slice while the regular ones have about 20 or more grams per slice.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Long Lost Member
donnaw1
Total Posts: 12