Responder
NikiLaw
Total Posts: 25
Registered on: ‎10-05-2012

Watermelon : Is it okay for diabetics?

Hello all,

I love watermelon, but i'm unsure of how good it is for my diet. (Type2).

I know its a natural fruit, but does it have too much sugar?

I'm almost chronically dehydrated. And watermelon seems to have so much water in it.

Does anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

Thank you,

Niki Law

Happy Saturday!

(Type 2) Since 2001
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,905
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Watermelon : Is it okay for diabetics?

[ Edited ]

It's a rare thing around here that we would say that any food is okay or not okay for a person with diabetes. What you need to do is to learn how to tell if a certain food for will work for you or not.  That depends on what is in the food, both in terms of carbs and of other nutrients, and how much your are going to eat. 

It really helps to have a calorie and carb counting book, or a web site where you can look up that information, like the Calorie King Calorie and Carbohydrate counting book or places like nutritiondata.com.  My favorite, even though it is plainer than some of the other sites, is http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list from the US Department of Agriculture.

According to that site, watermelon is 91.45% water and 6.2% sugar, with just tiny amounts of fiber, fat, protein and other nutrients.

A cup of watermelon, diced, will have about 11g of carbs, compared to 13g for sliced strawberries or 34g for sliced bananas.  For watermelon, though, that may seem like a relatively small serving.

Beside figuring out how many grams of carbs, you can also try eating the watermelon and by testing with your meter before and after eating, you can see how the watermelon affects you.

I hope others will come along and mention their favorite carb counting web sites.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Responder
NikiLaw

Thank you for the information,

And your absolutely right,  i'm going to have to relearn what i have forgotten. But thats ok, because it needs to be. I put my self in this place and i am going to have to get myself out.

And as I am exploring this site, i've been finding alot of good stuff. Inspirational. The Daily Menu and Monthly Meal Plans are really nice. I found a great recipe for Tasty Cooked Greens.

I am really liking what i see here. And my BG finally went down to 131 this evening. I am so happy.

Thank you very much mollyhed.

Niki Law

(Type 2) Since 2001
Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 963
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

mollythed wrote:

I hope others will come along and mention their favorite carb counting web sites.

http://www.calorieking.com/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease,
.....AV fistulas failed so far, back on jugular catheter for dialysis
Anemia, on oral nutrition supplement, and starting IDPN at dialysis
Colostomy, COPD, and Post Prandial Hypotension, heart valve problem - more tests
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,423
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

NikiLaw wrote:

Thank you for the information,

And your absolutely right,  i'm going to have to relearn what i have forgotten. But thats ok, because it needs to be. I put my self in this place and i am going to have to get myself out.

And as I am exploring this site, i've been finding alot of good stuff. Inspirational. The Daily Menu and Monthly Meal Plans are really nice. I found a great recipe for Tasty Cooked Greens.

I am really liking what i see here. And my BG finally went down to 131 this evening. I am so happy.

Thank you very much mollyhed.

Niki Law

What do you mean you "put myself in this place"?   You don't think you gave yourself diabetes, do you? 

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Type 2 Diabetes diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise, and 500mg daily of metformin.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180

NikiLaw wrote:

Hello all,

I love watermelon, but i'm unsure of how good it is for my diet. (Type2).

I know its a natural fruit, but does it have too much sugar?

Your meter will porvide the answer: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180

I put my self in this place and i am going to have to get myself out.

You need to read this, written by a friend of mine: Don't fall for the toxic myth that you caused your diabetes by reckless overeating

And also this, which I wrote: Type 2 Diabetes and the Shame Game

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
NikiLaw

Hi Talvie,

Thanks for responding.

When I said i got myself into this place, I meant I had become burnt out. I had stopped caring. I wasnt doing anything to help myself & even forgot a lot of what I had learned.

Then, when I found this place. Things changed. I felt, not alone. When people cant talk to other people about this kind of thing there is no way of knowing there is hope.

Thank you Talvie.  niki

(Type 2) Since 2001
Established Advisor
bugbarb
Total Posts: 553
Registered on: ‎11-05-2009

YAY! You aren't alone.  I remember telling people when I was first diagnosed that I would go to this website and some guy from Australia would answer my questions quickly.  When I was alone at home and I got double vision while walking on the treadmill, the community was there for me.  No question is too insignificant or too stupid.  We will answer the same question every time a newcomer asks it, without complaint.  I learned more here than I did at the diabetes education program I went to.  So, back to the present.  I fell into the I will eat like I don't have diabetes mindset.  As part of my turn around to better eating, I have committed to myself to come here daily.  This site is nothing but positive for me.  Look forward to seeing you around,

(Bug) Barb 

Too much of a good food will raise my blood glucose.
Super Advisor
strollingbonez
Total Posts: 705
Registered on: ‎12-17-2012

o we are only suppose to eat a cup of it...not two big slices?  

well i had two big slices....after about 2 hours ....117...which is a little high for me before bedtime....i love watermelon