Advisor
Samtop
Total Posts: 417
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011
Helpful Response

Recipies for Cole Slaw & Tuna Salad?

I am sure this has been covered before, but I would really appreciate some recipe ideas for Cole Slaw, and Tuna Salad, two of my favorite Summer foods.  So if you good folks have a recipe for either or both, I would appreciate it.

Earle

Metformin ER 1000 With evening meal
Glimepiride 1 mg in the a.m.
Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg in the a.m.
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,904
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,047
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Recipies for Cole Slaw & Tuna Salad?

I just entered the phrase "cole slaw" in the search box at the top of the page and found this that I wrote back in 2009:

Does cole slaw count as a green salad? I shred the cabbage (red or green) and add half mayo and half fat-free plain yogurt for more creaminess and less fat. Sweeten to taste with equal or splenda and add a few raisins or craisins and maybe a little shredded carrot for color. Walnuts and chopped apples are nice too this time of year if you can keep within your carb allotment. A pinch of salt and tiny bit of prepared mustard can add a little zip.

You can do the same thing with just about any ingredient that you want to search for.

I'm less clear about what you are looking for with tuna salad.  I alway think of that as just the filling for a tuna sandwich, which wouldn't have any carbs, so I'm not sure what you would want to change.

If you are thinking of a pasta salad with tuna, the big change I would make is to use Dreamfield's Pasta to lower the carb effect of the pasta.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Don't like coleslaw, so I can't help you there.

Tuna Salad, I go with a simple base mix. I add Mayo to the desired consitancy, horseradish to taste (for me that's a lot of horseradish :smileyvery-happy: ), and a couple of dashes of tabasco...I like spicy :smileywink: From there, I might just make some sandwiches, put some on crackers as a spread. One can add it to some dreamfields noodles for a casserole, and add in whatever else sounds good...chopped celery, Parmesan cheese, etc.

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Yummmmm.....two of my favorites too, as Molly said if you are making pasta salad,  you should look for the dreamsfield, cook it EXACTLY as directed and rinse in cold water. I love pasta salad but sometimes add a can of albacore.

I love coleslaw too, my favorite is spicy and sweet......I shred a small head of cabbage, mix in a tiny can of crushed pinneapple in it's own juice and add some  Kraft Creamed horseradish sauce .   If I don't have the horseradish sauce I add mayo and a smidgen of reg horseradish.  My Mom made it using milk,mayo, sweetner (splenda) and a dash of vinegar.

For tuna to use as a sandwich spread.....I mix it up with chopped onions, sugar free relish and mayo with a dash of mustard.

I make my coleslaw when ever I make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches........I use half of a bun, top it with coleslaw and then the pulled pork( I add chopped onion,cilantro and I use a little sugar free BBQ sauce).

Crock pot pulled pork. Place a pork butt or shoulder cut pork roast in a crock pot with fat side up, salt and pepper the meat, add 1/2 cup diet rootbeer, cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hrs.

Now I'm really hungry...............................Big Red...................................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180

I'll leave the recipes for American coleslaw and tuna salad to the Americans. Just a tip on one of the prime ingredients: mayonnaise.

Select real whole egg mayonnaise. The carb count should be low, the fat count high and the ingredients list short. Compare that to the various imitation mayo products, especially "low-fat" mayos where the carb count is high, the fat count is low and the ingredients list reads like a chemistry experiment.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

alan_s wrote:

Select real whole egg mayonnaise.

I forgot there was any other kind :smileyvery-happy:

Made the same observations about ingredients and carbs as you have when I looked at the low fat and suposedly "better for you" substitutes. I use the real stuff.

Now how about telling us how you Aussie's make tuna salad?

Advisor
Samtop

Alan, you are so correct.  Just checked my bottle of 'mayo' and I find 0 carbs, high fat, whole eggs as the first ingredient, and not a long list of ingredients either.  One is so much safer with the real stuff, and it tasts better too.

Earle

Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

Advisor
Samtop

Thanks to everyone for the recipies and tips.  I generally eat tuna salad as a side dish in and of itself.  A  nice mound resting on some lettuce, with maybe some sliced hard boiled eggs, radishes, etc.  Along with some soup, would make a nice lunch. 

I'm going to reread all these posts again in the morning when I am not so tired, make some notes, and add tuna and cabbage to my grocery list.

Earle

Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180

I forgot there was any other kind :smileyvery-happy:

Made the same observations about ingredients and carbs as you have when I looked at the low fat and suposedly "better for you" substitutes. I use the real stuff.

Now how about telling us how you Aussie's make tuna salad?

My tuna salad is pretty simple. I usually have some of my Stir-Fry and Salad Mix in the fridge. I drain a small (95gm, 3oz) can of Aussie tuna and place it in a bowl. I add some of the salad mix to it, the quantity depends on how hungry I am, add a splosh of mayo and maybe an equal splosh of plain yoghurt and mix it all together. For variations I may add some chopped dried chill (from the garden), or some chopped mint or a dash of hot english mustard. It is a very quick, easy and tasty lunch.

For coleslaw the primary ingredient is sliced cabbage and shredded carrot, roughly 2:1 proportions. I add some chopped red onion, sliced capsicum (bell peppers), crushed/chopped ginger, chopped mint and other herbs; it all depends on what's in the cupboard or fresh in the garden at the time. Then a splash of good vinegar and some mayo or yoghurt or both to bring it all together.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Visitor
Irish123
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎11-18-2012

I buy the cole slaw in a bag buy the lettuce and a slaw dressing I thik it's called maserati it's buy the salad dressing. They have a low fat version 1.5 gr of fat compared to the reg that is about 14 grams of fat. The low fat is actually really good.