Occasional Contributor
arrowdog
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎02-16-2010

Quick easy breakfast ideas

I have been ata loss for what to eat for breakfast. It has to be relatively quick, or easy to make ahead of time and then reheated. I like almost everything. I used to like (and am ashamed to admit that I still do) like the McDonald's breakfast burritos. I appreciate all ideas.

Thanks,

Norm

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Quick easy breakfast ideas

[ Edited ]

arrowdog wrote:

I have been ata loss for what to eat for breakfast. It has to be relatively quick, or easy to make ahead of time and then reheated. I like almost everything. I used to like (and am ashamed to admit that I still do) like the McDonald's breakfast burritos. I appreciate all ideas.

Thanks,

Norm

Begin here: Breakfasts; continue here: Breakfast on the Run; and here for things that can be re-heated in the microwave: Crustless quiche and Breakfast Stew.

With a little practice you will find you can throw two eggs in a pan and fry them or make an omelette or scrambled eggs just as quickly as you can re-heat something and certainly quicker than waiting in the queue at the Golden Arches.

Or, dare I suggest, get up ten minutes earlier...:smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
alice-twilight
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎09-30-2011

I have a hard time with this too. I have got to where I have memorized the carbs for my favorite foods but breakfast always stumps me.

I usually settle for:

-low cal sarah lee whole grain toast, cream cheese, and low sugar strawberry jelly.

-Steel cut oatmeal with vanilla soy and blueberries

-fruit and cottage cheese spread on a low carb bagel 

Not the best and most creative, but works for now. I usually find what works for me and then get stuck in a rut, not really looking for other options..until I get sick to death of it!

“Pretty soon, we’ll all have the same thoughts at the same time. We’ll be in perfect unison. Synchronized. United. Equal. Exact. The way ants are. Insectile. Sheep. Everything is so derivative. A reference to a reference to a reference. The big question people ask isn’t ‘What is the nature of existence?...The big question people ask is ‘What’s that from’”-Fertility Hollis
https://plus.google.com/116301382419386861418
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,396
Topics: 216
High Fives: 1,712
Solutions: 187
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Try cackleberries :smileyhappy:

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
elyoung
Total Posts: 173
Registered on: ‎09-26-2011

My favorite breakfast on the go is an egg sandwich. I put an egg and a tablespoon of lowfat cheddar cheese in a bowl, and pop it in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Meanwhile I toast a high fiber english muffin or low carb bread in the toaster. Put it all together, and you have a portable, tasty sandwich. You could add some veggies and/or meat to the egg mixture too.

Another morning fave is Greek yogurt with fruit. It's high in protein and lower in carbs than regular yogurt.

Betsy

Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

I love my Egg, cheese and salsa bowl.  4 grams of carbs

Spray a wider soup bowl, microwave safe, with no stick butter flavored spray.  Add 1 cup of egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters.  Microwave for 2.00 or so.  Top with 1 slice of cheddar cheese (or your favorite flavor) and 2 T. of salsa.  Put back in the microwave for 30 seconds.  You may have to adjust times to make sure the egg beater is fully cooked.

This dish is too hot to eat when it comes out of the microwave.  You could make it when you wake up and then eat it after you get ready for work, giving it time to cool a bit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Responder
ladyvirago
Total Posts: 22
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

Lately, my typical work-day breakfast is an 80-calorie yogurt and 5 pieces of almonds, 8oz of water followed by 10oz of decaf tea. This holds me until lunch. If I have to snack before then, I'll have a multi-grain fig newton cookie or a multi-grain peanut butter 1" sandwich. 

Responder
bridgetpugh1
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎01-17-2012

Hi There!  I'm brand new to this community.  This is my first post to this board, but I'm a Type One and a certified fitness chef, so this board is totally my cup of tea :smileyhappy:

Personally I whip up a veggie and 2 egg scramble every morning, maybe with toast depending on my morning blood glucose.  It only takes a couple minutes to make, but can't really be eaten later. 

You should try thinking outside the 'breakfast box"! If you love sandwiches, there is no reason to not eat a salad or sandwich for breakfast, in my opinion.  If you aren't too sensitive to fruit, which I'm not, I would also whip up a smoothie using SoySlender vanilla soy milk or even a glucerna shake and blending it with frozen berries.  Yummmm... and then add a handful of almonds and you are good to go.

I have seen a really cool idea with oatmeal.  You cook a big batch of better-for-you steel cut oats and freeze it in serving-sized portions (they look like little frozen hockey pucks!).  Then, each morning, thaw it in the microwave and add toppings!

Hope this helps get your mind moving :smileyhappy:

Bridget Pugh, 30
Type 1, Mother of 4, Small Business Owner
Brand-New pumper, MiniMed and CGM