Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Peanut Butter vs. Peanut Butter Spread

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?  I noticed that the 'spread' had 1 fewer carbs and bought a jar and didn't notice the difference in label until a few days later.

Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

Re: Peanut Butter vs. Peanut Butter Spread

Sorry don't know the difference. However I am curious (love PB...): is there any difference in taste, texture? Or anything else?

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

Legion681 wrote:

Sorry don't know the difference. However I am curious (love PB...): is there any difference in taste, texture? Or anything else?

The peanut butter spread is more oily, and so that is why it says that you never have to stir it.  As far as taste goes, I can't tell the difference.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,459
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?  I noticed that the 'spread' had 1 fewer carbs and bought a jar and didn't notice the difference in label until a few days later.

Must be something added to the plain peanut butter.  What else is on the ingredient list?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 979
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Isn't Google a wonderful thing???:smileyhappy:

Just did a Google search "What's the difference between Peanut Butter and Peanut Spread"...

from REALSIMPLE...(realsimple.com)

"Peanut spreads contain about 60% peanuts - not the 90% required for a product to be labeled peanut butter.  Fewer peanuts mean less fat:  Butters average 16 grams per two tablespoon serving; spreads weigh in at 12 grams or less.  But those peanuts are replaced by additives:  corn-syrup solids, molasses, salt and hydrogenated oils.  Eating a smaller portion of regular peanut butter is healthier."

Suzzzie

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006
Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

That's the reason I only use natural peanut butter, sure it has to be stirred and stored in the fridge after opening, but it doesn't have a long list of ingredients with names I cannot pronounce.

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

Suzzzie wrote:

Isn't Google a wonderful thing???:smileyhappy:

Just did a Google search "What's the difference between Peanut Butter and Peanut Spread"...

from REALSIMPLE...(realsimple.com)

"Peanut spreads contain about 60% peanuts - not the 90% required for a product to be labeled peanut butter.  Fewer peanuts mean less fat:  Butters average 16 grams per two tablespoon serving; spreads weigh in at 12 grams or less.  But those peanuts are replaced by additives:  corn-syrup solids, molasses, salt and hydrogenated oils.  Eating a smaller portion of regular peanut butter is healthier."

Suzzzie

Very nice of you to look this up.  Thanks so much!

Frequent Responder
wintersquash
Total Posts: 131
Registered on: ‎01-13-2012

Peanut butter is just wonderful to me.  The fats are mostly good ones from what I understand.

Current A1C is 5.6
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

Legion681 wrote:

I checked the labels for regular peanut butter and that PB2 (peanut butter powder - just add water), and the powder has nuch less fat.

I bought a jar and am going to try it.  Thank you for mentioning it to me.

Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Legion681 wrote:

I checked the labels for regular peanut butter and that PB2 (peanut butter powder - just add water), and the powder has nuch less fat.

I bought a jar and am going to try it.  Thank you for mentioning it to me.

My pleasure!

My fave is the one with chocolate added (still 6g of carbs per serving!), but the regular one is great too.

The lack of fat is due to the fact that the folks at Bell Plantation press the roasted peanuts to remove as much fat as possible. The interesting part is that they actually sell the oil that was pressed out of the peanuts. Nothing goes to waste! :smileyhappy:

Hope you'll enjoy PB2.

Take care!

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***