Frequent Responder
goldie07
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎12-05-2010

Pancakes

I experimented with coconut flour for brunch today and wanted to share this with everyone. We all have different tastes of course so there are some who may not care for it but I love pancakes and also love them in many flavors.

2 T coconut flour

2 T flax meal

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. Vanilla extract

1 egg

almond milk (just enough to get the consistency I wanted)

I ended up with 2 large pancakes. I may change a few ingredients and try using this recipe in muffins. My BG did well for me but I continue to not eat anything with carbs early in the morning and tried this late in the morning. I would like to also add that although I no longer experience DP, I am not taking any chances. I have learned from experience and from other members we should never take for granted how well we maybe doing because our bodies can change everything in a short time.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,720
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,479
Solutions: 166
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Pancakes

goldie07 wrote:

I experimented with coconut flour for brunch today and wanted to share this with everyone. We all have different tastes of course so there are some who may not care for it but I love pancakes and also love them in many flavors.

2 T coconut flour

2 T flax meal

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. Vanilla extract

1 egg

almond milk (just enough to get the consistency I wanted)

I ended up with 2 large pancakes. I may change a few ingredients and try using this recipe in muffins. My BG did well for me but I continue to not eat anything with carbs early in the morning and tried this late in the morning. I would like to also add that although I no longer experience DP, I am not taking any chances. I have learned from experience and from other members we should never take for granted how well we maybe doing because our bodies can change everything in a short time.

Thanks. I'd like to try it, I love coconut. But I've never heard of coconut flour. Here we get various forms of coconut: whole, flesh, copha (solidified oil), dessicated, cream and cream powder, but not flour.

Do you buy it in a specialty store?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Responder
goldie07

Hi Alan,

I bought  it at our local health food store but it can be made out of dried, shredded coconut by grounding it like we would with Almond or flax. I will admit the first time I used it I used the dried, shredded type and it work out great as well. 

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

I just tried a  low carb pancake recipe today, too, and it was good! My meter liked them too, only 20 mg rise! The almond meal isn't as fine as flour, so the pancakes were similar to Ihop's cornmeal pancakes... tasty!

Almond meal pancakes
 •1 cup almond flour  (I used Bob's Red Mill)

•2 eggs
•1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
•2 T oil
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 T sweetener
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Preparation:
Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes.  The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top the same way as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, or other low carb topping.

Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes
Nutritional Information: Each pancake has 1 gram effective carbohydrate, plus 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 155 calories.

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Frequent Responder
goldie07

That sounds like a wonderful recipe which I will try out as soon as possible! A lady at work likes to put a natural strawberry spread on the flax pancake.  I enjoyed them that way only I used a smaller amount of spread with some peanut butter and had it for a snack this week. 

Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 256
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

suesmith wrote:

I just tried a  low carb pancake recipe today, too, and it was good! My meter liked them too, only 20 mg rise! The almond meal isn't as fine as flour, so the pancakes were similar to Ihop's cornmeal pancakes... tasty!

Almond meal pancakes

What kind of sweetener did you use?

Carol

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Hi Carol,
I used Splenda but I think others could work?
Sue
Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Responder
darly314
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎01-14-2012

I eat regular pancakes with no sugar syrup. Is this wrong? 

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Darly314 wrote:

I just posted you a message on the Recently Diagnosed board.  After you read the link I gave you test after you eat those pancakes (with or without sugar) and see what your number is.  That will tell you if they're wrong for you.  Also it's not just about sugar, sugar is a carb and carbs are what need to be controlled.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,720
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,479
Solutions: 166
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Darly314 wrote:

Sugar is just one of the carbs; so is flour.

The true answer to your question will be provided by your meter an hour after you eat the pancakes: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)