Occasional Visitor
sugarno
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-09-2012

Need to gain weight because of being too thin

Usually the advice I see is how to lose weight to control diabetes type 2.  My husband is the diabetic one and he's much too thin for his 6' 4" height (178).  How can he eat to gain some weight without driving his sugars up?  He continues to lose weight without doing much in the way of exercise.

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Need to gain weight because of being too thin

sugarno wrote:

Usually the advice I see is how to lose weight to control diabetes type 2.  My husband is the diabetic one and he's much too thin for his 6' 4" height (178).  How can he eat to gain some weight without driving his sugars up?  He continues to lose weight without doing much in the way of exercise.

This sounds very serious.  When a person's diabetes is very much out of control they begin to lose weight without even trying.  This is not a good thing.  Their body can no longer get nutrition from the foods they eat and begins actually breaking down and "eating" the muscles to survive.  If this goes on without treatment the person can develop an often fatal condition.

When was the last time he saw the doctor?  He needs to do so asap.  I'm pretty certain that his numbers will be sky high.  Get him to the doctor right away, he won't be able to gain any weight until his numbers are in control.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
ericas9780
Total Posts: 35
Registered on: ‎03-02-2012

This is actually how my dad was diagnosed with Type 2 D. He lost a lot of weight (due to gout, which we later found out was why he wasn't digesting food).

Frequent Advisor
cdlefevre
Total Posts: 142
Registered on: ‎07-25-2011

Was he recently diagnosed?  I have always had a hard gaining weight and before I was diagnosed I was down to 140 lbs and I'm 5'10".  After I was diagnosed last July the doctore explained that when your sugar is high, a lot of sugar leaves the body in your urine and you are unable to absorb the calories from it.  After I started to control the Diabetes I was up to 155 by my 6 month appt.  It might be a good idea for him to have the doctor check his urine for sugar levels to see if that is the case for him.  I still haven't managed to get above the 155 but I try eating an extra meal every day, just have to make sure that they are pretty low carb.

Craig

T1
Dx 7/19/2011 A1C 10.7 as Type 2, started Metformin
12/16/2011 A1C 6.3
3/17/2012 A1C 8.5- changed to Janumet
6/14/2012 A1C 7.2
11/16/2012 A1C 14.4
Started basal insulin-11/20/2012
1/21/2013- Diagnosis changed to Type 1, started fast acting insulin
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

cdlefevre wrote:

Was he recently diagnosed?  I have always had a hard gaining weight and before I was diagnosed I was down to 140 lbs and I'm 5'10".  After I was diagnosed last July the doctore explained that when your sugar is high, a lot of sugar leaves the body in your urine and you are unable to absorb the calories from it.  After I started to control the Diabetes I was up to 155 by my 6 month appt.  It might be a good idea for him to have the doctor check his urine for sugar levels to see if that is the case for him.  I still haven't managed to get above the 155 but I try eating an extra meal every day, just have to make sure that they are pretty low carb.

Your urine has sugar in it when your numbers are too high.  Controlling the numbers controls the urine problem.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
ericas9780

Yes he was dx at the end of February after 4 days in the hospital with low blood pressure, unexplained weight loss, low appetite, joint pain (took him almost an hour to get out of bed the day he was admitted), and rheumatoid arthritis (turned out to be a symptom of gout). He started losing weight last November (2011) and no one could figure out why. He had tests done that ran the gamut of issues, even cancer (which THANKFULLY turned out negative).

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,594
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Is he type 1 or type 2?  confirmed by test or just doctors thoughts? 

that could make a big difference in the options.

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Responder
ericas9780

Type 2 confirmed by bloodwork done in the hospital.