Advisor
newdiabetic
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎11-06-2011

Need substitute for orange juice

Does anyone have an idea what to substitute for orange juice for breakfast?  I used to drink a glass every morning before my type 2 diagnosis but I cut it down to 4 ounces.  My bs was still too high one hour later so I've gradually cut down to one ounce, and it's still too high.

I love juice and would like to find a no carb fruity substitute for it.  Would grapefruit juice be a better substitute?  Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,716
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,224
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Need substitute for orange juice

Sorry. Juice is something I used to drink in a past life.

Maybe in America there is a low-carb substitute. Bu I don't know what it is.

I get by on good brewed coffee, black or with real cream; or tea. Or water.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,043
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

alan_s wrote:

Sorry. Juice is something I used to drink in a past life.

Maybe in America there is a low-carb substitute. Bu I don't know what it is.

I get by on good brewed coffee, black or with real cream; or tea. Or water.

Alan there isn't a low carb substitute here in America either, that I know of.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them". - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 6.0 on 12/11/13

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Frequent Responder
Shelma
Total Posts: 61
Registered on: ‎03-29-2011

When I get a craving for OJ, I drink Chrystal Light Orange Sunrise Surprise (I think that is what it is called).  Chrystal Light has several flavors and not to bad tasting.

"The joy of living life is his who has the heart to demand it.Theodore Roosevelt

Diagnosed Type 2 on 3/29/2011 with a  A1C of 12.9
3/2012 A1C 6.0
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,677
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,847
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

newdiabetic wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what to substitute for orange juice for breakfast?  I used to drink a glass every morning before my type 2 diagnosis but I cut it down to 4 ounces.  My bs was still too high one hour later so I've gradually cut down to one ounce, and it's still too high.

I love juice and would like to find a no carb fruity substitute for it.  Would grapefruit juice be a better substitute?  Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Grapefruit juice has carbs as well.  The crystal light orange drink is really good, try that out.  Otherwise V8 and tomatoe juice would be the only other juices that might work.  There's a lower sugar OJ, but it still has quite a few carbs.  I can't remember the name of it.

Lizzy

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Advisor
RedKat
Total Posts: 465
Registered on: ‎11-24-2011

maybe just have a slice of a fresh orange...save the rest for later.

First test A1c 6.8
A1C 5.7 (2 month home test)
3 month A1c 5.4
6/22/12 A1c 5.4 (home test)
11/8/12 A1C 6.0
4/18/2013 A1C 5.4
12/22/13 A1c 6.3 (home test)

Diet and exercise
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98

[ Edited ]

What I like about the Crystal Light Sunrise series of flavors is that they have vitamin C added.  Beside the Orange flavor, there are also Ruby Red Grapefruit and a tangerine strawberry mix, for a little variety.  Not every store seems to have all the flavors so you may have to shop around to find them all. 

Another trick of mine is to use a little of the Crystal Light powder to sweet my tea, to get a fruit tea flavor. 

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 354

Ocean Spray has some diet juice drinks.  Maybe one of those would work.  They aren't orange flavor though.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Advisor
newdiabetic
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎11-06-2011

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  My husband is on the way to the Fresh Market to see if they have any Crystal Light or Diet Ocean Spray.  If not, we'll look later at the bigger grocery chain stores.   I'm going to try grapefruit sections also.  I grew up in Florida and have eaten a lot of citrus all my life.  We used to have orange juice served every day at recess to cool us off!  I LOVE orange  juice so much, probably haven't missed a day in 60 or so years. (till now).  ):

Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

Check for diet versions of juices. As far as I know, you will not find OJ with very little carbs in any way shape or form (could not find either grape juice and apple juice). However Ocean Spray for sure has diet versions (with a total of 2g of carbs per serving, which is a cup or 240 ml) for blueberry, cranberry and cranberry pomegranate. My grocery store (Stop and Shop) has its own version too of cranberry juice with only 2 g of carbs as well...

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***