Registered on: ‎05-07-2013

My diabetic friendly meal replacement shake

Frequent Responder
SugarFrosted
Total Posts: 782
Registered on: ‎11-07-2011

Re: My diabetic friendly meal replacement shake

[ Edited ]

Hi Ruben, Welcome to the forums. I watched your recipe video. I am glad to see you are not "selling" some miracle remedy to cure diabetes. Just a recipe.

You mention sugar content several times, but not much mention of carbs in general, like in the fruit. I'd guesstimate that your shake has approx 30 Gms carbohydrates. Personally, I can't eat a whole banana because it spikes my glucose. I suspect that a number of others here will have the same issue. Some might like it, though. Have you tested after you drink your shake?

We all learn from each other here. So we are a bit nosy  and ask a lot of questions. Can you share with us a bit more about yourself?

When were you diagnosed? What were your diagnosis numbers, fasting glucose and A1c? What are they now? What sort of diet plan do you follow? Exercise regimen?  Testing schedule? Medications?

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

You're among friends here! :smileyhappy:
SugarFrosted aka AnnaM, retired ER/Oncology-Chemotherapy nurse
Little Rock, Arkansas
Diagnosed Type 2, Jun'09 at age 57
Jun'09 A1c: 7.2 F 154 wt 260 lbs
Dec'09 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Jun'10 A1c: 5.4 F 82
Dec'10 A1c: 5.2 F 71 wt 155 lbs
Jun'11 A1c: 5.3 F 76
Mar'12 A1c: 5.5 F 80
Dec'12 A1c: 5.1 F 70
Jan'14 A1c: 5.3 F 77
Reduced-Carb Mealplan & 1 hr Daily Exercise! NO Meds!
105 lb total weightloss
Self-employed baker/cake designer since 1988...life doesn't get much harder for a diabetic, imo. My Online Cake Gallery: http://www.sugarfrosted.com/
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,687
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,222
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Ruben, I'm afraid the carbs in the banana, even if I ignore the strawberries, are too much for me.

Sugar is only part of the carb count.

What is your blood glucose level 45 minutes after you drink your shake?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Occasional Visitor
rubencamacho78
Total Posts: 3

Greetings SugarFrosted!

Thank you for your feedback. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year ago. I had no idea until I got strep pneumonia and found out when my body almost shut down and I ended up going to the hospital. my blood sugar was at 500, that health scare was a wake up call. 4 days in the hospital, yeah, I vowed to not allow that to happen again.  Since then It's been a process into a lifestyle change , finding better doctors (the last one didn't even tell me I was pre-diabetic when he knew) and educating myself as much as possible. I was a bit overwhelming at first, it kind of still is sometimes. So I finally decided to come on here to the forums and associate with others with my same condition.   I'm still learning and appreciate all info.

I was doing good for a while. My A1C was 6.9 and I was on Metformin 1000g 2 x a day. I became irresponsible for about 3 months and it shot my A1C to 8 and that's it..I had enough. I got on a stricter diet, started juicing and now rarely do I see my levels go above 170. Exercise I lift, walk, play in the park with my son, I got a workout bike at my job and I do this great Xbox 360 kinnect workout called Your Shape Fitness. I'm working to try to add more workout days to my routine, it's tough because I work nights (12:00am to 8:00am) I try to follow the meal plan thats recommended for diabetics, with proteins and veggies taking a larger portion of the plate but these days rarely do I even eat carbs with my meals.

I forgot about the carbs making the video and I will be updating the video with annotations with that info soon enough. I hope to continue learning more on this site thank you for such a warm welcome!

Occasional Visitor
rubencamacho78
Total Posts: 3

Greetings Alan,

I forgot about the carbs and I will be updating the video with annotations with that info soon enough, I tested my levels today and before taking the shake it was at 117 and 45 minutes after I was at 141. I hope this helps any more info or recommendations you can shoot my way I'd appreciate it.

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,687
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,222
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

rubencamacho78 wrote:

Greetings Alan,

I forgot about the carbs and I will be updating the video with annotations with that info soon enough, I tested my levels today and before taking the shake it was at 117 and 45 minutes after I was at 141.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm envious, I would spike much higher from that mixture.

Was that breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I hope this helps any more info or recommendations you can shoot my way I'd appreciate it.

Try this, not just for shakes but for everything you eat or drink: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)