Frequent Responder
carl55
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎08-26-2011

List Of Food Diabetic Can Eat

http://www.diabetic-diet-recipes.com/diabetic_article/list_of_food_diabetic_can_eat.htm

I am particularly interested in vegetables.  I have a sack of precooked shrimp, I want to make a healthy salad tonight, we are going to the store later, suggestions on raw vegetables and is there any kind of dressing that I can get that doesn't taste yukky?

THANK YOU!
Frequent Responder
carl55

Just heard back from my Dietician, SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT!

She sent me this;

Meal Plan Guidelines
Carbohydrate Distribution:
1 Carb Choice = 15 grams of carbohydrate
Women:  3 - 4 carbohydrate choices per meal (45 - 60 grams of carbs)
Men:   4 - 5 carbohydrate choices per meal for men (60 - 75 grams of carbs)
  If needed:  Snacks can be 1 - 2 carbohydrate choices 

· Meal timing and carbohydrate distribution should be consistent.
· Do NOT skip meals.  Eat 3 meals everyday. 
· Keep meals 4 - 5 hours apart.  Snacks should be al least 2 hours apart from meals. 
· Try to eat each meal at the same time every day.

Protein:
1 oz protein = 7 grams protein
Women: 5 - 6 ounces per day. 
Men:  6 - 7 ounces per day.
Protein based foods include:
Beef, turkey, chicken, fish, etc.
Eggs, egg substitute
Cheeses
Vegetable protein (i.e.: soy, tofu)

Choose lean meats most of the time.  Limit intake of high fat meats such as cheese, sausage, bacon and other high fat meats.
Fats:
1 fat serving  = 5 grams fat      45 calories
Women: 5 - 6 servings
Men:    6 - 7  servings
Fats are very calorie dense. They have over twice the amount of calories than carbohydrates and proteins.  Choose more  heart healthy unsaturated fats such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, peanut butter and most nuts.  Limit saturated fats.  Avoid Trans Fats for heart health.

Super Advisor
mhcarrs
Total Posts: 1,137
Registered on: ‎08-10-2011

Ok i can be dense sometimes.  But what exactly doesn't she like?
:smileytongue::smileyhappy:Just call me Mary

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 10 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Frequent Responder
carl55

mhcarrs

When I sent her the link (see post one,) she emailed me back, sent me what I put in post #2 and said this about the guide in post #1;

"That is not a guide that we diabetes educators would use.  We follow all the evidence-based healthy guides for eating (which is for all, not just with diabetes).  You will need to identify carbohydrate foods (starchy vegetables, all grains, fruit, cow’s milk, soy milk, yogurt, honey and all foods w/ added table sugar.  There are no foods off limits, per the ADA.

You will learn to moderate the amount of carbs you eat at each meal and snack.  It is healthy to get most of your carbs from healthy foods (whole grains, whole fruit, all vegetables, low fat milk and yogurt) w/ minimum amount from “junk” carbs."
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,692
Topics: 75
High Fives: 940
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,410
Solutions: 158
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,410
Solutions: 158
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

To be honest, I don't like either of them. Your dietician's list is out of date and, in my lay opinion, totally useless as preliminary advice to a new diabetic.

But I'm only a diabetic, not a dietician, so what would I know. Your dietician's income and professional standing depends on the advice she offers; in my case my life depends on the advice I accept.

The other page you listed is slightly better, but not a lot. Just one example of several I do not like:

List Of Carbohydrate Food Diabetic Can Eat

Bran, oats porridge, Barley.
Fruits - apple, citrus, berries, peaches, pears, plum, and rubard.

and also

List of Fat Food list Diabetic Should Use Sparingly

Whole fat milk (skimmed milk is  preferable)
Butter, cream, cheese, full fat yoghurt, ice cream.
Meat - beef lamb and pork.
Poultry - battery-framed chicken, goose, duck and turkey.
Eggs - especially from battery farmed chickens.
Coconut oil.

I, and my meter, disagree quite strongly with both lists.

Incidentally, rubard? There is no information about the source or bona-fides for that web-site, but I'll lay odds it doesn't originate in a country where English is the first language. They probably mean rhubarb.

Forget about using other people's lists and develop your own using this technique: Test, Review, Adjust
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,692
Topics: 75
High Fives: 940
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I pegged that list too as something not written by a native speaker of English. 

One strange item on the list, from my perspective, was "swede" listed as a vegetable.  It was only the second time I ever heard that name for a vegetable, so I googled it to find out that is was what I would call a rutabaga.

<--rutabaga

<--turnip

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
mhcarrs

Type 2. Dx 6/10. Diet and exercise. Swimming in a heated pool. Lantus 10 units hs. Humalog: sliding scale. My other car is a wheelchair, rollator, or cane depending on terrain.
Active Neuropathy if my blood glucose is at 140 or above. Two MI's. No blocks to blame them on. Congestive Heart Failure: Lasix, Klor-con. Asthma: Qvar, Maxair for breathing emergencies. . Nebulizer during certain seasons. Pulmocort and Xoponex solutions. Oral Steroids when Asthma is very bad. Migraines: Vicodin. To ER for injections if Vicodin does not work.. CPAP for sleeping. MDD and S.A.D,: Supplements, All my money is spent on organic vegtables, fruits, and nuts.:smileyhappy:
Super Advisor
mhcarrs

I am in the process of making a list by using my meter.  I was able to eat 2 slices of pizza and my meter liked it. So I am keeping it.  But if I buy a different kind of pizza

I will Test, Review and adjust again before I add it to my list.  I would follow Alans advice in this matter.  But like Alan said we live in trences and we are not medical pro.

Like in everything use your brain filter...and then make a decision.