Reply
Occasional Visitor
lesmisman
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎07-31-2012

Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%

Just got off the phone with Kellogg's complaint department. Special K Protein Plus has been re-formulated because product research says "people like the taste better' after the sugar content goes from 2g to 7g per serving! Duh! I'd enjoy breakfast better also if I could eat a donut each morning. I had just bought 4 boxes, assuming it was still the same even though the box front had been slightly changed ("satisfies hunger longer" / "now tastes even better") They will refund my costs for those 4 boxes and they said they would send my message to the proper department. Now I have to find a new breakfast cereal. Beware of the Special K Protein Plus if you are diabetic.

Advisor
diabetes86
Total Posts: 579
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

Re: Kellogg Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%

I jest went to there web site

 

a serving of Special K =  31 gr  (1 cup)

carbs in 1 serving          23  gr

Fiber in 1 serving             0  gr

Plus milk (I assume)

 

so your eating food that is 75% carbs

 

how is your 1 hour PP number?

 

that would push me close to 200 BG

 

Not for me!  I'm glad it works for you

 

 

T2 since 86 insulin since 2000 Omnipod pump since 5/12
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,210
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%

[ Edited ]

lesmisman wrote:

Just got off the phone with Kellogg's complaint department. Special K Protein Plus has been re-formulated because product research says "people like the taste better' after the sugar content goes from 2g to 7g per serving! Duh! I'd enjoy breakfast better also if I could eat a donut each morning. I had just bought 4 boxes, assuming it was still the same even though the box front had been slightly changed ("satisfies hunger longer" / "now tastes even better") They will refund my costs for those 4 boxes and they said they would send my message to the proper department. Now I have to find a new breakfast cereal. Beware of the Special K Protein Plus if you are diabetic.


It's too bad that they did this.  I don't think there are too many cereal makers who give a hoot, but we need to look at the total carb grams per serving, in which sugar is automatically included, and measure carefully.  But with diabetes, it's ALL the carbs that count, when it comes to raising blood glucose levels.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 975
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%

Maybe it's time for bacon and eggs for breakfast.  :smileyhappy:

 

Throw in a slice of low carb bread for the toaster, add real butter to the toast...and you have a verrrrrrrry low carb and delicious breakfast.  (I use Healthy Life (a Midwest brand) bread for 8 g Carbs per slice).

 

ALL Cereal is made from grain and by it's nature will be high in Carbs.

 

Suzzzie

 

 

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,751
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,227
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%



lesmisman wrote:

Just got off the phone with Kellogg's complaint department. Special K Protein Plus has been re-formulated because product research says "people like the taste better' after the sugar content goes from 2g to 7g per serving! Duh! I'd enjoy breakfast better also if I could eat a donut each morning. I had just bought 4 boxes, assuming it was still the same even though the box front had been slightly changed ("satisfies hunger longer" / "now tastes even better") They will refund my costs for those 4 boxes and they said they would send my message to the proper department. Now I have to find a new breakfast cereal. Beware of the Special K Protein Plus if you are diabetic.


 

I don't disagree with your feelings about the marketers, but you are actually focusing on the wrong part of the ingredients list.

 

Sugar is just a part of the carb count. In this case the starch in the Special K is going to put your blood glucose up much more than the sugar content.

 

I consider processed breakfast cereal to be one of the most significant health hazards in the SAD (Standard American/Australian Diet) and haven't eaten it since I saw what it did to my post-breakfast blood glucose levels ten years ago.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,751
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,227
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%


Suzzzie wrote:

Maybe it's time for bacon and eggs for breakfast.  :smileyhappy:


 

That is my breakfast at least three days out of seven.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 975
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%


alan_s wrote:

Suzzzie wrote:

Maybe it's time for bacon and eggs for breakfast.  :smileyhappy:


 

That is my breakfast at least three days out of seven.


Me too, Alan! :smileyhappy:

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006
Advisor
cycling2live
Total Posts: 113
Registered on: ‎08-14-2010

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%

A protein rich breakfast is your friend.  Overnight you are fasting ... and your body goes into starvation mode and starts to store fat.  it's an automatic response to assure survival.  Glucose needed for energy is created from lean muscle tissue.  You need to break the fast by supplying the body with protein to alert the body that you're not "starving."  I will have Greek yougart, eggs and ham sandwich on an english muffin or other protein rich foods for breakfast. 

 

 Processed ceral is about the worst thing one can eat in the morning.

Ed Tepper
Athlete/Member
Team Novo Nordisk www.teamnovonordisk.com
Personal Blog: www.cycling2live.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cycling2live
Opinions are mine and not of my team or any of its sponsors.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,210
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%


suzzzie wrote:

Maybe it's time for bacon and eggs for breakfast.  :smileyhappy:

 

..........................................................

 


With all this talk about bacon and eggs (I'm told that I used to call them "iggs" when I was little,  LOL), I decided to whip-up my favorite "egg thing" this morning: one whole egg and one white, with some turkey pepperoni slivers (I used scissors to cut-up a dozen of the litle round slices that came in the package (Hormel, I think), scrambled it all up, put in a little round pyrex bowl, microwaved for about a minute and a half, and then sprinkled some fat free grated mozzarella on top.  T'was good.  :smileyhappy:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,210
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Kellogg's Special K Protein Plus Cereal increases sugar by 250%


powerwalker2 wrote:

suzzzie wrote:

Maybe it's time for bacon and eggs for breakfast.  :smileyhappy:

 

..........................................................

 


With all this talk about bacon and eggs (I'm told that I used to call them "iggs" when I was little,  LOL), I decided to whip-up my favorite "egg thing" this morning: one whole egg and one white, with some turkey pepperoni slivers (I used scissors to cut-up a dozen of the litle round slices that came in the package (Hormel, I think), scrambled it all up, put in a little round pyrex bowl, microwaved for about a minute and a half, and then sprinkled some fat free grated mozzarella on top.  T'was good.  :smileyhappy:

 

 


Trader Joe's has some nice little round slices of Canadian Bacon that are lower fat, and taste good, too.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5