Frequent Responder
stingbearer
Total Posts: 52
Registered on: ‎06-14-2012

Indian Foods

Hello, there!

I'm a new Type 2 diabetic and I'm looking for either a site, or information here, that can tell me the carbs in Indian foods you'd commonly find in a restaurant buffet.  Thanks!

Glipizide 5mg bid
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,924
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,056
Solutions: 116
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Indian Foods

This 188-page online book is chock-full of information about diabetes and nutrition and Indian food.  The AAPI is the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin. 

http://aapiusa.org/uploads/files/docs/APPI_Guide_To_Health_And_Nutrition__2nd_Edition.pdf

It's primarily written for patients of Indian origin, but it includes a lot of information that would be useful for anyone.  It does include a short chapter on restaurant eating. 

There are exchange lists rather that direct carb counts for Indian foods, but that is easy to deal with, because for each exchange food group, the number of carbs is listed.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Responder
stingbearer

Thanks a bunch, Molly!

Glipizide 5mg bid
Advisor
blacst
Total Posts: 97
Registered on: ‎04-30-2010

http://www.nufs.sjsu.edu/pdf/CarbCountSAsians.pdf

one more souce of info thanks to google.

stingbearer wrote:

Thanks a bunch, Molly!

Type I by acute alcoholic pancreatitis (Now I know it is LADA) Former Marine with combat trama PTSD. Sober now.

Lantus 31 units, 1 : 7 Insulin (Novolog) to Carb Ratio.
gastroparesis complication from DB
Frequent Responder
stingbearer

I appreciate this one too, blacst, thanks.  Now I can take the restaurant menu (which is North Indian, it turns out; that's the most popular cuisine and usually what's in most restaurants) and figure out what I'd like from the buffet  .

Glipizide 5mg bid
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,619
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

stingbearer wrote:

Hello, there!

I'm a new Type 2 diabetic and I'm looking for either a site, or information here, that can tell me the carbs in Indian foods you'd commonly find in a restaurant buffet.  Thanks!

Possibly it is different in the USA, but I found restaurant foods can vary enormously even in the same chain. It may depend on the chef of the day.

I use a general rule-of-thumb for Indian foods. Most of the dishes with meat, vegetables and a drier spice sauce are fairly low carb unless starches such as potatoes have been added. Most, but not all, of the more liquid sauces are OK but watch for the sweeter dishes such as Chicken Makhani where significant carbs can be in the sauce. I avoid rice almost totally, but I found good naan breads can be acceptable in a half-serve in lieu of the rice. Almost all Indian desserts are very high in either starches or sugars or both so I simply avoid them.

All that applies to myself, learned by testing at my peak after meals. I recommend you try the same method.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)