Responder
Theresa777
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎05-01-2012
Helpful Response

I eat right and my blood sugar is still 245 287 290 Should i drink dry red wine or what should i do.

Any help you can give me will help I am sure I work out on the tread mill 20 minutes in the morning. I am type 2 diabetic. I ate unsalted raw nuts today cucuimbers with nothing on them steamed spinach fresh spinach i cooked with black pepper and a tad of blue bonnet margarine. i am drinking water Will the dry red wind take it down low where I could manage it better from there. Help me please thanks in advance for any help you provide

Theresa
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,988
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: I eat right and my blood sugar is still 245 287 290 Should i drink dry red wine or what should i do.

theresa777 wrote:

Any help you can give me will help I am sure I work out on the tread mill 20 minutes in the morning. I am type 2 diabetic. I ate unsalted raw nuts today cucuimbers with nothing on them steamed spinach fresh spinach i cooked with black pepper and a tad of blue bonnet margarine. i am drinking water Will the dry red wind take it down low where I could manage it better from there. Help me please thanks in advance for any help you provide

I certainly wouldn't advocate drinking alcohol as a means of BG control.

It appears as though you are eating very few if any carbs.  This is causing your numbers to go higher from liver dumps.  click here  

Exercise without sufficient fuel will also cause them to go even higher.

Here's the best way to get started with controlling the numbers:  click here

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,896
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,034
Solutions: 114

Re: I eat right and my blood sugar is still 245 287 290 Should i drink dry red wine or what should i do.

Lizzy has a good point.  Eating right doesn't necessarily mean eliminating as many carbs as possible from your diet. 

Sometimes eating too little can make blood glucose go up and not down.  Please try eating a few more carbs, not a huge amount, but just enough for your body to give up on the theory that you are starving and that it needs to move stored glucose out of your liver and into your blood.  You may be happily surprised by the results.

If that doesn't work, it still doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong.  Diabetes is a disease, not a battle of the will.  Sometimes all we try to do with eating and exercise is just not enough, and we need help from medication to accomplish what our bodies can no longer do for themselves.  That's when we need help from a doctor...but we really can't say if you are at that point yet.  Try adding carbs.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

theresa777 wrote:

Sorry, no answers, just questions.

How long ago were you diagnosed and what tests indicated type 2?

Among those tests did you have a C-peptide test? It is possible you are not producing adequate insulin. I know you are following Bernstein. If drastically cutting carbs, as you have, is inadequate then you may need to discuss insulin with your doctor.

You mention meds in another post. What meds and doses are you taking?

PS While I am fond of a glass or two of red wine daily I do NOT recommend it as a means of blood glucose control.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,459
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

theresa777 wrote:

Agree that you probably need a few more carbs.  Especially with the exercise (fuel-up beforehand), and you may also need to do more than just 20 minutes a day.  Why not try working a little of the wine into some stir-fry with a few more vegetables or beans, along with a few more minutes (scattered throughout the day (morning, afternoon) and evening after meals) to your current routine for more metabolic boost?  Body may be used to the current goings-on, and if you've increased your fitness level, and/or lost weight, you'll need to keep up with increased fitness level to achieve desired blood glucose level.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Responder
Theresa777

Re: I eat right and my blood sugar is still 245 287 290 Should i drink dry red wine or what should i do.(Lizzy)

Hi Lizzy I take 100 mg of junovia and 8 mg of glimepiride a low dose aspirin a multi vitamin biotin and other supplements. for break fast i am having a meatloaf sandwich on whole wheat bread. I am about to hop on the treadmill and excercise for 20 minutes. I will let you know what my numbers are. Thanks alot for the info on eating. I have found your blog to be excellent as well.

Theresa
Responder
Theresa777

I dont follow Dr. Bernstein but I do read his forum. I do not take insulin. Dr. Bernstein advice is to take insulin. I have had diabetes since 2007 I believe. I wasnt eating right because of stress related situations in my life. I just started eating right again.

I take one junovia 100mg tablet each day

I take 2 4mg glimepiride tablets each day

I take one low dose bayer aspirin each day

I take one Biotin each day (supplement)

1 high blood pressure med 10-12mg its a diuretic as well. Benezepril

I was diagnosed via a A1C test my recent Alc test reading is 12 due to me not eating right.

I excercise via treadmill i do twenty minutes after breakfast.

Again I do not follow Dr. Bernstien because I am not on insulin. I see my medical Doctor next week wednesday. He will give me referrals to a nutritionist and a endocronologist.

I joined this forum as a means of help and to see what everyone else is doing in my situation.

Any help you can offer please do. I will answer more questions if you would like me to.

I just ate lunch it was a small amount of rice half a plate of brocoli and kale and a small amount of chicken and mushrooms. i am practicing the 9 inch plate technique. Tonight i will eat baked chicken breast 1 steamed bunch of fresh spinach a small amount of rice and a romaine  let tom cucumber salad with a teaspoon full of french dressing and a tablespoon full of white vinegar mixed in.

Theresa
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,988
Solutions: 142

Theresa,

There are many people who follow Bernstein who don't take insulin.  Much of his advise if for type-1 diabetics who have to take insulin.  The medication you do take however stimulates your own natural insulin release, so if you only eat a limited amount of carbs you will go low and your system will most likely rebound high again.

You need to find the right amount of carbs for your body, and you do that by testing.  Read the Testing 101 link below.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

theresa777 wrote:

I dont follow Dr. Bernstein but I do read his forum. I do not take insulin. Dr. Bernstein advice is to take insulin. I have had diabetes since 2007 I believe. I wasnt eating right because of stress related situations in my life. I just started eating right again.

I take one junovia 100mg tablet each day

I take 2 4mg glimepiride tablets each day

I take one low dose bayer aspirin each day

I take one Biotin each day (supplement)

1 high blood pressure med 10-12mg its a diuretic as well. Benezepril

I was diagnosed via a A1C test my recent Alc test reading is 12 due to me not eating right.

I excercise via treadmill i do twenty minutes after breakfast.

Again I do not follow Dr. Bernstien because I am not on insulin. I see my medical Doctor next week wednesday. He will give me referrals to a nutritionist and a endocronologist.

I joined this forum as a means of help and to see what everyone else is doing in my situation.

Any help you can offer please do. I will answer more questions if you would like me to.

I just ate lunch it was a small amount of rice half a plate of brocoli and kale and a small amount of chicken and mushrooms. i am practicing the 9 inch plate technique. Tonight i will eat baked chicken breast 1 steamed bunch of fresh spinach a small amount of rice and a romaine  let tom cucumber salad with a teaspoon full of french dressing and a tablespoon full of white vinegar mixed in.

Thanks for the clarification concerning Bernstein. As Lizzy mentioned, many people who do not take insulin also follow his strict regimen. He is a type 1 diabetic and has to take insulin. I am not as strict as he is about carbs, but I do agree that much of his advice is wise.

However, eating "meatloaf sandwich on whole wheat bread" for breakfast and those "small amounts of rice" show that you are not following his ultra-low carb suggestions. What size are those portions? A cup? A half-cup? A spoonful like this:

rice

The rice on the side plate stayed on the side plate; the rice on the main dish is a full serve for me. I cannot eat any bread for breakfast at all, but you may be different. Testing at your peak after meals will help you find out what your own limits are.

Did you test after the meals you just listed? How long after were the tests? What were all your test results yesterday? Read this to see why I ask: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Responder
Theresa777

two tablespoon of rice is not alot of rice for me. i am not eating 1/3 cup of rice its only like 2 tablespoons full. My starch is mosty beans like lentil and lima beans. That is still two tablespoons full. I cook my own food when i do eat out its at one of those foods by the pound place so i use the plate method again.

Theresa