rayt721
Total Posts: 28
Registered on: ‎03-04-2010

Homemade Protein / Energy Bar Recipes Please???

I am not a big fan of breakfast but I know now that it's a very important meal and yet being under a morning time crunch, I would like to find homemade healthy protein or energy bars that are easy to made ahead and that fit into a realistic nutritional menu plan. Actually any breakfast ideas would be very much appreciated that would be quick or pre-made. Thanks to all for any suggestions or advice.
rayt721
Total Posts: 28
Registered on: ‎03-04-2010

I have done some web surfing and found the following recipes that were posted along with the nutritional values. I thought I'd share for others who are also seeking these kinds of snacks and breakfasts:

Fudgey-Nutty Bars - 8 servngs

2 and 1/3 cups vanilla protein powder
1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 oz chopped almonds
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peanut butter
1/4 cup Splenda

Preparation:

Melt butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and chocolate in bowl in microwave. Mix together very well and then add splenda & vanilla, mixing well again.

Add walnuts and protein powder and mix. It will be difficult and messy to mix, you will have to use your hands near the end to knead it all together, squeezing so that the powder is incorporated into the mixture.

Now place in an 8x8 0r 9x9 baking pan, flatten and refrigerate. When cooled and hardened, cut into 8 bars. Per bar: 21 grams protein, 3.15 carbs. This will vary according to the protein powder you use, I use Optimum Nutrition as I have found it to be the best and it has 22g protein and 1.5g carbs in each scoop, but no aspartame.

---

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Designer Protein Bars - 4 servings

1/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter*
3 TBL fat-free chocolate syrup
3 scoops chocolate protein powder
1 - 1 1/2 TBL water (you may need more to get the consistancy you want)

In small bowl, combine peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Add the protein and enough water to moisten slightly. Place mixture on waxed paper or plastic wrap, and knead by hand for a few seconds to blend ingredients. Form into four bars of small rectangles either by hand or rolling mixture with a rolling pin between two sheets of waxed paper. Wrap each bar in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator to preserve freshness.

Make 4 bars - Per Bar: Calories 170/ Protein 17 grams/ Carbs 13grams/ Fat 6grams
cindyspilot
Total Posts: 306
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Ray I'm not a big fan of breakfast either.I am on a yogurt kick right now.Have you tried carbmaster yogurt? Only 4 carbs per container.I posted a flax seed muffin recipe on the recipe site here,that is good.Mix it up and put it in the microwave.Very filling.Thanks for posting the energy bar recipes.They sound yummy!
Frequent Advisor
RedKat
Total Posts: 465
Registered on: ‎11-24-2011

Re: Homemade Protein / Energy Bar Recipes Please???

I wanted to do this, thanks for the recipe. I eat a lot of Atkins bars, but could do without the sugar alcohols.

Anyone else made their own bars?

First test A1c 6.8
A1C 5.7 (2 month home test)
3 month A1c 5.4
6/22/12 A1c 5.4 (home test)
11/8/12 A1C 6.0
4/18/2013 A1C 5.4
12/22/13 A1c 6.3 (home test)

Diet and exercise