Occasional Contributor
cehamm
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎04-22-2011

French Fries

I was diagnoised Feb. 22, 2011.  I have completely changed my eating habits.  My numbers are mostly in the 80's a couple of times as high as 120. I have lost 12lbs so far.  The change in diet has been a struggle, but the one thing I miss the most is french fries.  Any suggesstions for a healthy substitute?
DX - 2/22/11 - A1C was 6.7
6/3/11 - A1C is 5.7 and I'm 19 lbs lighter
7/5/11 - 25 lbs down
8/2/11 - 27 lbs gone, not to return
9/7/11 - A1C = 5.6 & 30 lbs gone!
Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 507
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

French Fries

Get some french fries, bake them rather than frying them, and you can have some.  Each fry has about 1.7 carbs so you can use that to determine how many you can have with your meal.  Just stay within your limits on carbs.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
Responder
char2006
Total Posts: 29
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

French Fries

You might want to try sweet potato fries.  As always, serving size is the key.  I can eat sweet potato in moderation without having my numbers skyrocket.  Let your meter be your guide.

Char2006
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,045
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

French Fries

Use this method of testing before and after eating to determine just what your tolerance is for a given food or meal. In short, let your meter be your guide. There is a considerable variation between what one us can eat and another can't or even portion size. For myself, potatoes are one of those things that spike my BG big time. I can get away with maybe 4 french fries if there are no other carbs in the meal. The trick here is deciding can I just eat those 4 fries and no more or would I prefer those carbs in some other more tolerable form....or sometimes stealing a couple of spoonfulls of my wife's desert Also, as Char mentions, sweet potatos are often tolerable in a somewhat larger portion as thier carbs are more complex.
Long Lost Member
bonnie-fitz
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-03-2011

French Fries

Occasional Contributor
cehamm
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎04-22-2011

French Fries

Thanks for the responses.  I will try the baked fries & test b4 & after.
DX - 2/22/11 - A1C was 6.7
6/3/11 - A1C is 5.7 and I'm 19 lbs lighter
7/5/11 - 25 lbs down
8/2/11 - 27 lbs gone, not to return
9/7/11 - A1C = 5.6 & 30 lbs gone!
Frequent Responder
joej1
Total Posts: 419
Registered on: ‎01-09-2011

French Fries

Try and test, I agree with billsreef, my gut says baking would be no better maybe worse since less fat. He is right everyone is different for me small portions potatoes not so bad but bread = BAD. I have even eaten a side of fries at TGIFridays (took the mashed home) after eating the steak and no spike (but it was not a big portion). Let your meter be your guide.
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

French Fries

I can't do potatos in any way shape or form. No baked, fries, mashed, hash browns, no way. I spike big time. I think of them as poison. Yes, I do miss them, but the spike and the feeling crappy just isn't worth it. And I'm on insulin!
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Long Lost Member
nopenoway
Total Posts: 48
Registered on: ‎04-11-2011

French Fries

I use the 'balance method'.
That being a compromise. If I eat fries, I drop some other carb that meal, if possible, or that day.
That way I don't OD with carbs.
Jon
Long Lost Member
breebreeevans@hotmail.com
Total Posts: 24
Registered on: ‎12-16-2010

French Fries

I concur. The other day I went to Wendys..ordered the fries and small burger.  I took the top bread off the hambuger and ate 1/2 of the bottom, had 6-8 fries and 2 hours later by bs was 130.  I'm not on any medicine.  Controlling with exercise and diet.