Occasional Responder
Shadcat708
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎06-28-2012

Formula for counting carbs

I must have misunderstood how to calculate net carbs. I thought it was as easy as carbs - fiber = net carbs but someone here at work told me I as mistaken. Can anyone enlighten me. What would the formula be?

Thanks!
Penny

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Formula for counting carbs

Shadcat708 wrote:

I must have misunderstood how to calculate net carbs. I thought it was as easy as carbs - fiber = net carbs but someone here at work told me I as mistaken. Can anyone enlighten me. What would the formula be?

Thanks!
Penny

Hi Penny,

There's no hard and fast rule or forumla, it's more a personal choice as to how you calculate net carbs.  Here's something I wrote about it:  click here

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
Shadcat708

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed to know. I started out doing Atkins and they didn't deduct any fiber. I think I might follow you there and forget about deducting the fiber. I also Googled and received the same info you did. Funny!

Thank you again!

Penny

Frequent Responder
bevcib
Total Posts: 94
Registered on: ‎01-20-2012

Shadcat do you feel a Atkins type plan is better for diabetics?  I have thought about that plan for myself to lose the weight and lower carbBs...thanks....

Type 2 since 2008..did not know it till 2011 (long story)
Would like to lose 90 pounds in a year (making it July 2013)
Highest A1C (that we know of) 6.1 on meds.
Last A1C 5.9 on meds.
7-12 A1C 6.1 on meds
Advisor
Diabetes86
Total Posts: 774
Registered on: ‎05-08-2012

I ended up on an Atkins style diet...  I eat and used my meter, eliminated that whitch raised my BG and ended up on atkins.

In the USA T2 1986, insulin 2000, T1 08, Omnipod pump 5/13
Frequent Responder
bevcib

Thanks for the in put....:smileyhappy:

Last A1C 5.9 on meds.
7-12 A1C 6.1 on meds
Occasional Responder
Shadcat708

I do think an Atkins style plan works for me. It's just very hard for me to stick to because i believe I have an addiction to sugar. Just the slightest sugary anything starts me craving bad stuff.  I have told people this before but many of them think I am crazy, that I can't possibly be addicted to sugar but I seriouse think I am. Has anyone else experienced that?

Penny

Frequent Responder
bevcib

[ Edited ]

Penny I feel and just my feeling no proof to back it up but just the way I or my body reacts...If I have sugar I want more or it sets me off looking for carbs  ya know the kind, cookies, junk, ect...i wonder if diabetics are more prone to this...????? My dr said if I have a carb I must have a protein with it..Anyone out there that can say a ya or a nay to that way of thinking...Can a protein slow down the action of the carb?  Anyone..?

Last A1C 5.9 on meds.
7-12 A1C 6.1 on meds
Occasional Responder
Shadcat708

I have a really hard time with it. I found it easier to quit smoking than to quit eating sweets. Of course that was 21 years ago, I was younger then. But still. Sometimes I can't stop myself... Even if I make a low carb sweet treat. I crave. I just can't have any of it. I would be interested to know if the protein with the carb works...

Frequent Responder
bevcib

Shadcat...If you go to lizzy's blog or check out some of her post you will see she has info on this very thing and i checked it out...Plenty of good stuff there.....:smileyhappy:

Last A1C 5.9 on meds.
7-12 A1C 6.1 on meds