Visitor
dalleediabetic
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎10-25-2012

Feeling shaky but sugar not too low.

Gang,

I have been loosing weight on purpose to try and get better control. It appears if I dont eat enough my blood sugar goes up during the day and I get too shaky like I am having a low but my number will be around 150. I think I know not eating will raise my level but where does the shaking come from. I take a 2mg Glimepiride at night. Morning numbers average 90. By lunch they are 150. Two hours after lunch they will be a little under 150. The shaking is whats bothering me. Thanks!
Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 429
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Re: Feeling shaky but sugar not too low.

Hello

My opinion is:  If your FBG at the time of diagnosis was VERY high, your body might be reacting to what it thinks is a low at 150.  

So, even though your meter does not show a real low, your body thinks it's low.

That's what happened to me.  On a few occasions early on, I got down to 100 and felt totally hypoglycemic.  

I'm sure other folks will have some insight into this but what I said above really happened to me.  I no longer have those episodes now that my FBGs have been within normal range for quite a while.

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dalleediabetic wrote:
Gang,

I have been loosing weight on purpose to try and get better control. It appears if I dont eat enough my blood sugar goes up during the day and I get too shaky like I am having a low but my number will be around 150. I think I know not eating will raise my level but where does the shaking come from. I take a 2mg Glimepiride at night. Morning numbers average 90. By lunch they are 150. Two hours after lunch they will be a little under 150. The shaking is whats bothering me. Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

You're taking some strong medicine to lower the numbers, Glimepiride.  If you don't eat enough carbs to cover it you will go low and then bounce back higher.  The same is true if you don't eat often enough - every three to four hours.  

The shaking is also probably because your body is used to higher numbers and must adjust to lower ones again.  This is normal when first lowering the numbers, it's not really a low but feels and acts like one.  The best thing to do is to try to ride it out and you'll adjust faster.  Otherwise eat a very small amount of carbs and it should stop.  Only 5 or 10 mg should stop it.

Do you test 1 and 2 hours after eating?  Do that and you can see if your numbers are getting lower after the medication.  If so you might have to include more carbs with meals to cover the medication.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
dalleediabetic

Yes, I test every other day so I can to test 6 times a day. I do fasting, 2 hours after each of my three meals and two snacks when I should be peaking. I will add a test when I feel bad.

Thing is, if I font eat it will climb higher. I can have a 150 before I eat, then eat a good meal and two hours later when it should be peaked it will be anywhere from 5 to 10 point lower than before I ate.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

dalleediabetic wrote:
Yes, I test every other day so I can to test 6 times a day. I do fasting, 2 hours after each of my three meals and two snacks when I should be peaking. I will add a test when I feel bad.

Thing is, if I font eat it will climb higher. I can have a 150 before I eat, then eat a good meal and two hours later when it should be peaked it will be anywhere from 5 to 10 point lower than before I ate.

That's because you're either not eating enough carbs at meals or waiting too long to eat.  The medication you take stimulates your natural insulin production, so if you don't eat enough carbs (at the right times) you will go low and bounce back higher.  You have to learn to balance the carbs with the medication or lower the dose of medication (with medical approval).

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
dalleediabetic

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I will do a check every two hours for a day so I can see how it is bouncing around. I have cut myself down to 1200 calories a day and I walk everyday now and have lost 20 puonds since the first of the month. Maybe I am being too restrictive with my diet. I am a big ole boy at 5'8" and 265 pounds when I started the diet and exercise and thought big guys loose faster but maybe I am over doing it. Thanks for the help.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

dalleediabetic wrote:

Every two hours will tell you little unless you relate it to food and activity.

The next time you have six strips available consider one hour after your last bite instead of two; you may be missing your peaks at two hours. This may also help: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Visitor
dalleediabetic

Well seems to restrictive of a diet and not enough carbs were my problem. I added in more complex carbs and went up some on my good fats.

An example would be yesterday afternoon when my number usually get in the upper 100s, I ate a bowl of oat bran which I really like. Was busy and didnt get to check until about two hours after eating when I quit what I was doing because I got real shakey again. Figured I was going high again but when I checked I was at 82. Another thing, since I have added more complex carbs I feel better. Those glucerna drinks seem to work well for me too but they are just too expensive to use often.

Another thing I was wondering about was stress and how it effects numbers. I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder pretty badly and my wife has had breast problems and we've been meeting with oncologist and doing testing. Meeting with a surgeon this next week and I have really been bouncing off the walls with high anxiety and frequent panic attacks. Could all this stress contribute to the numbers being wackey too?
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

dalleediabetic wrote:
Well seems to restrictive of a diet and not enough carbs were my problem. I added in more complex carbs and went up some on my good fats.

An example would be yesterday afternoon when my number usually get in the upper 100s, I ate a bowl of oat bran which I really like. Was busy and didnt get to check until about two hours after eating when I quit what I was doing because I got real shakey again. Figured I was going high again but when I checked I was at 82. Another thing, since I have added more complex carbs I feel better. Those glucerna drinks seem to work well for me too but they are just too expensive to use often.

Please consider testing at one hour to see if you are missing your peak. 82 is perfect, but you may have been coming down rapidly from a spike.

Another thing I was wondering about was stress and how it effects numbers. I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder pretty badly and my wife has had breast problems and we've been meeting with oncologist and doing testing. Meeting with a surgeon this next week and I have really been bouncing off the walls with high anxiety and frequent panic attacks. Could all this stress contribute to the numbers being wackey too?

You are correct. Stress can raise your blood glucose levels. Are you receiving medicasl help for your anxiety disorder? Best wishes for your wife.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)