Established Advisor
nippers2
Total Posts: 382
Registered on: ‎02-11-2013

Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Constipation

[ Edited ]

Ever since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I have had to completely change what I eat and how much I eat, I have struggled with constipation issues.  I never had constipation issues before this.

I have tried many things with varying success, but they ultimately stopped working after awhile.

Then someone suggested increasing my intake of extra virgin olive oil.  

Poof!  It works!

With each meal, I try to add a significant amount of raw (straight from the bottle) extra virgin olive oil.  I drizzle it liberally on salads.  I drizzle it over egg dishes.  I drizzle it over tuna and on everything I eat.  

My dry itchy skin has improved, and my constipation has vanished.

And I am still losing weight, because as far as I can tell, the body will only absorb so much of it, and the rest goes out through poop--  but much softer, fluffier poop, no more of the little dry pellets that characterize constipation.  

The key seems to be to eat the extra virgin olive oil with every meal, so that the food does NOT get the chance to dry out too much in the colon.

And again, I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it does work for me.  And it is relatively cheap and easy to do, and it may even be good for me because it is a monounsaturated oil.

I have tested my blood sugar after every meal at the 1 1/2 hr. and 2 hr. time frames and have found that this does NOT raise my blood sugar, unlike something like prune juice.  Which also works, but is very high in sugar.  

For diabetics, this is probably a better choice than prunes and prune juice.  

I hope this helps anyone who is also struggling with this issue.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,459
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Constipation

The other night, I was out to dinner, and requested (as usual) some olive oil for my tossed salad.  Much to my surprise, when I shook the bottle over the salad, the little silver cap fell off and olive oil completely drenched my salad.  Others at the table were aghast, and said to just order another salad, but I was delighted that I didn't have to spend any time shaking the bottle.  LOL  All the leaves were coated really well, and instantly.  I would say that I got my money's worth on that olive oil!  :smileyhappy:

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Established Advisor
nippers2

powerwalker2 wrote:

The other night, I was out to dinner, and requested (as usual) some olive oil for my tossed salad.  Much to my surprise, when I shook the bottle over the salad, the little silver cap fell off and olive oil completely drenched my salad.  Others at the table were aghast, and said to just order another salad, but I was delighted that I didn't have to spend any time shaking the bottle.  LOL  All the leaves were coated really well, and instantly.  I would say that I got my money's worth on that olive oil!  :smileyhappy:

I would have felt the same way about it.  I now carry a small BPA-free plastic bottle with olive oil in it, and if I go out to eat with co-workers, I usually get the chef salad or some other kind of salad, and I remove all the croutons, etc., and then pour on some olive oil to my salad.  If I eat at the office, I use the bottle to pour olive oil on whatever I am eating there.  And at home, I have a huge (over two quarts) bottle of olive oil that I use.  It's cheaper to buy it that way, since I go through so much of it.

I love the taste of it, too.  It's my favorite oil.  

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Hmmm ill have to try it. Taking amyltriptiline slows my digestion and im taking laxatives most days and drinking plenty of water.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Established Advisor
nippers2

[ Edited ]

hawkins77337 wrote:
Hmmm ill have to try it. Taking amyltriptiline slows my digestion and im taking laxatives most days and drinking plenty of water.

It works for me.  It is high in calories and has sort of stalled my weightloss program, so I do other things as well...

Other things to consider in addition to olive oil...

1.  Magnesium Oxide supplements.  (Magnesium Oxide is less absorbable than Magnesium Citrate, so more of it passes through to the colon, making it more effective at relieving constipation than Magnesium Citrate, but they will both help with this issue)  I take one capsule (400 mg) at night before bedtime, and I think it also is quite helpful in reducing constipation.  It draws water into the colon to prevent the stool from becoming hard little pellets.  Be careful not to take too much magnesium, as it will give you the runs, and since this is a nightly therapy, it is best to not exceed the recommended dosage, if possible.  Some people also find that it helps relieve migranes, cramps, leg spasms, and even lower blood pressure and produce a calm, peaceful night's sleep.

2.  Inulin (such as Metamucil Clear and Natural or sometimes called Fibersure, or you can find inulin in health food stores as well).  Easy to mix with any liquid, easy to swallow, and no grit to deal with, and so far, no bloating.  It is also a prebiotic and feeds beneficial bacteria in the colon.  Seems to speed up transit time in the colon which helps to relieve constipation.

3.  Ground Flax Seeds have been a very helpful fiber source  for me to keep the stools from becoming too firm and hard, which would otherwise make them difficult to pass.  I try to eat a little bit of ground flax seeds with every meal.   Everyone is different, but I find their fiber to help me more than the fiber found in vegetables.  

4.  Psyllium fiber.  I ended up with a lot of bloating and gas from this when I took the full dosage recommended on the label (about 6 or 7 capsules).  Now I just take one  capsule with a meal and plenty of water.   It also comes in a powder that you simply mix with water and then try to gag down.  It was awful trying to get that stuff down when it was not in the capsule form.  Psyllium also tends to speed up transit time in the colon, which helps to relieve constipation.

5.  Prunes.  A lot of us cannot eat fruits at all, but if you can eat a little bit of fruits and not terribly spike your blood sugar, the one fruit that does the most good at relieving constipation is dried prunes and prune juice.  I find that if I just eat a small amount (a prune or two per meal or a very small glass of prune juice), it doesn't cause a huge spike in my blood sugar if it is eaten or drunk along with a protein and fat source and some fiber, to slow the absorption of the naturally occurring sugars in the prunes, and it seems to also help with constipation.  I figure if you are going to eat some kind of fruit anyways, eat one that has ingredients proven through the ages to help ease constipation.  Make that your "fruit exchange" and give up something else that you would have otherwise eaten to make up for the extra carbs.

6.  Sorbitol.  If you can't handle prunes due to a spike in blood sugars, the next option is the active ingredient in prunes:  sorbitol.  Our bodies have a hard time digesting and absorbing sorbitol, and it tends to pass on through to the colon where it draws in water, which relieves constipation.  As far as I can tell, it does not cause a significant spike in blood sugar levels, but as will all of these things, you need to use your meter to make sure what is best for you.  You can find sorbitol at some drug stores (sometimes you might have to special order it from them) or online, and also in certain chewing gums (check the label to see if your favorite gum has it in it).  Remember it is the concentrated active ingredient which is also found in prunes, so a very small amount is quite powerful and too much will cause the runs.  I rarely use sorbitol myself, but I have it on hand in case I end up getting too constipated, and then I turn to it rather than a laxative.

7.  Leafy Greens.  Eating lots of high fiber leafy greens helps some people to relieve constipation, but I found that it didn't really do much for me.  I still eat a lot of leafy greens to fill up on low calorie, low carb food, but I don't rely on them to keep me regular, because for some reason, they don't seem to work for me.

8.  Exercise.  Exercise helps some people with regularity.  I still do a lot of exercise, but it hasn't helped me much with that issue.

9.  Fresh Kim Chi.  Chinese/Korean restaurants usually have this available, and it works on me quite well.  Whole Foods sometimes carries it, too.

I used to never have problems with constipation until I became diabetic, went on a diet, changed what I ate and how much I ate.  I personally think the excess food was pushing everything though much faster, and so it never had a chance to get dry and hard in the colon, and never had a chance to cause constipation.

My doctor, however, suspects that I might be suffering from I.B.S.-C

I would rather attempt to treat this through the natural methods I have stated in this thread rather than using a prescription drug to deal with it at this time.  I feel there are less side effects to these methods than those found in prescription drugs used to treat I.B.S.- C.

Super Advisor
hawkins77337
Total Posts: 1,105
Registered on: ‎02-16-2012

Right now, im eating two apples a day, sweetened with monk fruit and cinnamon. Activia yogurt in morning, a salad everyday, and two very strong cups of coffee in the am that gets the whole process moving. Also, whenever i dont produce one day, im taking a dose of miralax in the eve. That seems to help.
T2 one year
metformin 500 2x
Lantus 24 units
Vit d 5000 iu
Vit B complex
Amyltriptiline 75 mg
Alpha lipoic acid 600 mg a day
6-12 habeneros a day
Established Advisor
nippers2

hawkins77337 wrote:
Right now, im eating two apples a day, sweetened with monk fruit and cinnamon. Activia yogurt in morning, a salad everyday, and two very strong cups of coffee in the am that gets the whole process moving. Also, whenever i dont produce one day, im taking a dose of miralax in the eve. That seems to help.

You know what, a lot of people find Miralax very helpful, and I glad that it works for you so well, but for me it just doesn't seem to work unless I take more than the recommended dosage (often 2X), and then it ends up becoming diarrhea.

Magnesium Oxide does the same thing-- pull water into the colon-- but for me, it works better than Miralax.  And I seem to need it on a daily basis to avoid constipation.

While I  personally  stick with prunes as far as fruits are concerned because they have such a long and proven record of helping to relieve constipation, I have heard of people getting good results from apples, and the following fruits:  1.  figs  2.  kiwi, 3.  papaya, and 4.  pineapple.  Always test your blood sugar to make sure you can handle eating any fruits, and how much you can eat.

Hot coffee in the morning works for several of my family members, and I think it probably works on most people, unless they have something like I.B.S.-C.

I think for some unknown reason, the motility in my colon has slowed down now that I don't eat as much food as I used to so there is nothing to push it on through, and in doing so, it has too much colon transit time to draw the moisture out of the stool, causing constipation.

I think all of the things I mentioned above help me to some extent, but if I had to narrow it down to just one, I would probably say the magnesium is the one that does the most good overall in terms of relieving constipation.   I really notice it if I go a day without taking my magnesium capsule.   If I was on a desert island and I could only pick one of them to have with me, it would be the magnesium.  :smileyhappy:    It doesn't raise my blood sugar, and it does what I need the most-- more water drawn into the colon.

But doing all of them together, I think, lets me get away with taking far less magnesium than other people with I.B.S.-C have to take on a regular basis to stay regular.  One lady I know takes way too much magnesium sulfate (espsom salt) every day in her battle with I.B.S.-C because that is the only thing she does to combat the effects of the problem.  She is not diabetic, and she eats a lot of really binding things like white bread.

Since I know I have a problem with my colon, I did have my doctor run a test to do a simple non-invasive colon cancer screening-- a fecal occult blood test-- and the results were negative.  No blood found.