Long Lost Member
-butterflies-
Total Posts: 44
Registered on: ‎03-19-2010

Easter Dinner

Traditionally in my family Easter dinner (Thanksgiving & Christmas too) has consisted of enough carbs to put even a non-diabetic in a coma:

Ham (slathered in brown sugar, cloves and pineapple) or Turkey (will full on skin)
Bread Stuffing
Potato Stuffing
Sweet Potatoes drowning in butter and brown sugar
Full-fat gravy
White dinner rolls with real butter
Sugar filled jello salad with marshmellows and canned pineapple
Sad lonely green beans
Pumpkin or Apple Pie for dessert

Yeah. Not something I want to repeat in my own home for obvious reasons.

I will be cooking Easter dinner for myself and my husband as we are choosing to stay home this year. I would like to make ham, a couple different veggies and at least one type of potato.

I scoured the board here and found the recipes for: Maple Orange Ham Glaze, Mashed Cauliflower, and Southern Pecan Pie and plan to make all three.

Basically I would like to make something uncomplicated and potato like...preferably sweet potato as my husband loves them. Any suggestions? My cooking abilities at this point are limited. lol
Dx T2 8/2002.  Last A1C: 08/2011 - 7.3%  
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,459
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Easter Dinner

-butterflies- (3/29/2010)
Basically I would like to make something uncomplicated and potato like...preferably sweet potato as my husband loves them. Any suggestions? My cooking abilities at this point are limited. lol

Well, Butterflies, I was just thinking about this, today. And as a former (and some might say "still") LOL fellow noncook, who grew up with southern style family holiday dinners exactly like yours (where was Jamie Oliver when I needed him?!?? -- but that's okay, because he later taught me how to cook) came up with the idea of just throwing some lean ham slices (like Boar's Head with rosemary) into my big non-stick wok, and adding some sliced organic onions and green beans. Don't really need to add any salt or extra oil, because of the ham, which will add flavor to the beans. For some extra deliciousness, pour a little balsamic vinegar over the beans and onions. Or a dash of wine. Sprinkle some grated fat free or low fat cheese over the ham, and almonds on top of the beans before serving. The sauteed onions will add plenty of sweetness. For color, fiber, and more sweetness, I might microwave a sweet potato, cut into small individual servings and shake some cinnamon and maybe chopped nuts over it. Probly some salad greens on the side, with various raw veggies, vinegars, and extra virgin olive oil. Or V-8 or tomato juice for a little "dressing", unless I use grape tomatoes. Maybe some chopped nuts and/or dried Bing cherries. Might crumble some hardboiled eggs over the greens, if the Easter Bunny can spare them. Plain, honest-to-goodness "real" food is fancy enough to suit me and my family these days. It's self-defense. And gives me enough time to get out of the kitchen and do some exercise. The dog will also be looking forward to a walk after indulging in some leftovers, if the weather's nice. So, how does that sound? And, how are you doing with everything else? Are you doing okay with everything, so far? Sorry, didn't get a chance to post to you on the other board.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Long Lost Member
bethjoy
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎03-25-2010

Easter Dinner

Great thread as I am in the same boat and a new diabetic as of last week. I thought I'd have to give up pecan pie and so I am glad to hear of the recipe you found. I am not yet familiar w/ the ADA recipes site (getting there ;-) but I just browsed the "Cooking Light" website and found entire traditional Easter menus. I have not yet looked at the specific ingredients and carbs so that may need some tweaking. (the CL site was recommended by my eye-doc who has diabetes in his family)
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,453
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Easter Dinner

Trish Z.'s Pork Rind Stuffing from Dana Carpenders 500 more low carb recipes/from around the world

Trish runs a website called lowcarber.com

1 cup ( 120gr) chopped celery
1/4 cup ( 40 gr) chopped onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Poultry seasoning to taste
1 packet splenda or other sweetener
2 TBSP ( 30gr) butter
1/4 cup cream ( 60 ml)
3 1/2 oz ( 105 ml) chicken broth ( about 1/4 can )
10 oz ( 280 gr ) pork rinds, crushed
4 eggs
Saute celery, onion, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sweetener, and butter in a frying pan until transparent and tender. Add other ingredients and mix together until the pork rinds are coated and moist. Put into baking dish and bake for 35 to 50 min until set like regular bread stuffing. Feel free to add more eggs or cream to get the texture you are used to. Some people also add mushrooms, sage, sausage , or oysters.
Yield- 8 servings Each serving will have .... 276 calories....18 gr fat.....25 gr protein....2 gr carbs...trace dietary fiber.....2 gr usable carbs.

**** The author of this recipe did not specify a temp when cooking this in an oven....I am guessing it would probaly be 350 degrees and 325 for a glass pan. Enjoy !!!
See ya..............Big Red..............Peace
Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Super Advisor
grannyred

Easter Dinner

Sweet Potato Custard

4 pounds sweet potatoes
8 large eggs or egg beaters equivalent
4 cups milk (soy milk does not work well)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
� teaspoon pepper
� cup sugar free maple syrup

There are two different ways to prepare the sweet potatoes , You can bake or steam

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, bake the sweet potatoes until soft, about one hour. Remove from the oven and lower the oven heat to 300 degrees. Let the potatoes cool , then peel. Transfer to a large bowl and mash.

2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and slice in large circles about an inch wide, place the sweet potatoes in a steamer for about 10 or 15 min until the sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and mash.

In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and either mix really well with an electric mixer until creamy or put small batches at a time in a food processor and puree the mixture.
Pour the finished mixture into a well greased 4-quart casserole dish, place the dish on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until just set but still jiggly in the center�..about 45 to 50 min. Drizzle the top with the maple syrup. Serve warm or at room temperature. Toasted chopped pecans or walnuts can be added to top when serving. Makes 8 servings.
For diabetics � cup serving is approx 25 grams carbs using real eggs and milk
Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Super Advisor
grannyred

Easter Dinner

Ham/cauliflower/broccoli cheese casserole

2 cups sharp cheddar cheese ( 4 gr carbs)
2 cups cauliflower ( chopped into small pieces) ( approx 10 gr carbs)
2 cups broccoli ( chopped into small pieces ) ( approx 10 gr carbs)
1 cup light cream ( 20 %) or Half/Half ( approx 10 gr carbs)
Parsley ( optional )
2 cups cubed, cooked ham ( 0 carbs)

You will need a two quart casserole dish. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the cheese and cream and parsley until cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy�.making sure you stir constantly. Add remaining ingredients and stir together well. Place the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish, cover and bake for
Approx 45 minutes. 8 servings , 1 cup equals approx 5 gr carbs each.
You may substitute Turkey or chicken for the meat, you may sub different veggies, if you use carrots cook them in the microwave for a couple of minutes before putting them in or they will be crunchy�..Enjoy !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!

Super Advisor
grannyred

Easter Dinner

Tiramisu Bowl
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
3 cups cold milk
2 pkg sugar free vanilla instant pudding or sugar free cheesecake instant pudding ( 1.4 oz size )
1 tub sugar free whipped topping ( 8oz)
48 vanilla wafers ( 4 cookies=approx 10 carbs)
2 oz dark choc, grated
1 cup fresh raspberries (optional)

Beat cream cheese until creamy, add milk and pudding mixes and mix thoroughly. Stir in 2 cups whipped topping. Line 2 � quart bowl with 24 wafers , top with half of the pudding mixture and half of the choc. Repeat the layer starting off with the wafers. Top with remaining whipped topping, choc and fresh raspberries. Put in the fridge for 2 hours. Makes 16 servings (ha)
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!

Super Advisor
grannyred

Easter Dinner

Slow cooker Maple pumpkin pudding

15 oz canned pumpkin
1 cup carb countdown dairy beverage
3 eggs
� cup ( 60 ml) sugar free pancake syrup
� cup splenda
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
� tsp maple flavoring
� cup chopped pecans�.toasted
Cinnamon

This is simple. Combine everything except the pecans and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk together well. Pour into a 1 � quart pyrex casserole dish or other heat proof dish that will fit into your slow cooker�.spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray first, then put the casserole dish in your slow cooker, and carefully pour water around it to come up to within 1 inch of the rim.
Cover, set the slow cooker to high and let it cook for 4 hours. When the time is up, turn off the pot, uncover and let the whole thing cool until you can safely remove the casserole dish without scalding your fingers. You can chill this or serve it warm. Either way, scatter those toasted pecans over each serving with a little cinnamon. You csn also add whipped cream.
Yield 6 servings, each with 216 calories, 18 gr fat, 7 gr protein, 10 gr carb, 3 gr dietary fiber ( 7 gr usable carbs)
Stolen from Dana Carpenders low carb cookbook
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!

Super Advisor
grannyred

Easter Dinner

Eggs in Maple- Ham Cup
Maple syrup and fresh herbs infuse the ham cups with flavor. Serve with toast or on a toasted English-muffin half.

� Total Time : 35 minutes
� Prep Time : 15 minutes
� Cook Time : 20 minutes
� Servings : 6 servings of 2 egg cups each
Ingredients
� 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, melted
� 12 slices (about 8�10 ounces total, prepackaged or from the deli counter) Black Forest or smoked Virginia ham, cut a little thinner than a slice of American cheese
� 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
� 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill or chives; if using dried herbs, use 1 1/2 teaspoons
� 12 large eggs
� 1/2 teaspoon salt
� 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Optional
� Additional dill or chive sprigs for garnish
� Toasted, buttered whole-wheat bread cut into triangles
Directions
step 1 Position one baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using a pastry brush and the melted butter or margarine, generously coat the inside of all 12 cups in a standard-size muffin tin.
step 2 Fit 1 slice of ham into each cup, pressing down gently to line the cup. The ends will stick up over the edges of the cups before cooking. (The ham shrinks considerably during baking and will form a more cup-like appearance.)
step 3 Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup into the bottom of each ham cup, followed by 1/2 teaspoon of dill or chives. (If using dried herbs, use 1/8 teaspoon.) Crack 1 egg into each ham cup.
step 4 Bake until whites are cooked and yolks are firm, about 20 minutes. If any large bubbles form on the eggs during baking, pierce them with a toothpick or wooden skewer while they cook.
step 5 Remove the baking pan from the oven and season the eggs with salt and pepper. Using 2 teaspoons or small spatulas, carefully lift the full ham cups out and place on a serving plate. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs (if using) and serve immediately.

Chef�s notes
Pasteurized eggs can also be used, although the eggs will appear more scrambled.

To keep the ham cups from leaking during cooking, make sure that each ham slice is free of holes.

The ham cups can be served on top of a toasted English-muffin half or with whole-wheat toast.

You can add 1 Tablespoon of grated Gruy�re, cheddar or Swiss cheese to each ham cup before cracking in the eggs in Step 3.

Maple syrup is rich in minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium.
Nutrition facts
Serving Size: 2 eggs (64g)
Calories 120
Calories From Fat 60
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 3.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 95mg
Sodium 590mg
Total Carbohydrates 6g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 5g
Protein 8g
Hubby printed this out from the rightathome.com website....they have a really good asparagus frittata on there...just look under recipes.
See ya.........................Big Red...............................Peace
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!

Long Lost Member
bethjoy
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎03-25-2010

Easter Dinner

Grannyred, I am going to have to dub my Easter dinner a Grannyred Easter menu. Yum!!!!! Thanks.