Occasional Visitor
razorback715
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎12-04-2011

Diabetes superfoods

I'm 65, just had a triple by-pass and have had type 2 diabetes for 20 years.  I brought everything that is wrong with me on myself.   Even though I have lost a lot of weight and exercise.   I live alone in a rural area.  To me cooking for one is making scrambled eggs, or a sandwich.   If I go out to eat I prefer Chinese, Italian or Mexican.    Well after looking at the diabetes superfoods list I figure I'm dead. I tried to find something which would represent a "meet me half way" approach to organizing a diet.   The list led off with beans all of which I hate in any form or fashion. I dislike the taste of most vegetables. The article mentioned 6-9 ounces of fish a week.   That's not even a portion!   Any ideas on how I can east foods I can't stand the taste of or require a lot of preparation time?   I'm depressed beyond all belief.  

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,827
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Diabetes superfoods

Welcome

First of all, you did not bring this on yourself. It's in your genes. In other words, you where born with it.

As for finding out what to eat, there will be others here soon to offer suggestions. But I will tell you this, the diabetes superfoods list is just a guide line. Since every one is different, you will have to find what types low carb foods work for you.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,620
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

razorback715 wrote:

I'm 65, just had a triple by-pass and have had type 2 diabetes for 20 years.  I brought everything that is wrong with me on myself.   Even though I have lost a lot of weight and exercise.   I live alone in a rural area.  To me cooking for one is making scrambled eggs, or a sandwich.   If I go out to eat I prefer Chinese, Italian or Mexican.    Well after looking at the diabetes superfoods list I figure I'm dead. I tried to find something which would represent a "meet me half way" approach to organizing a diet.   The list led off with beans all of which I hate in any form or fashion. I dislike the taste of most vegetables. The article mentioned 6-9 ounces of fish a week.   That's not even a portion!   Any ideas on how I can east foods I can't stand the taste of or require a lot of preparation time?   I'm depressed beyond all belief.

G'day, and welcome to the forum. I am nearly 65 myself and have been diagnosed T2 for nearly ten years.

You don't have to eat anything you don't like; nor do you have to give up everything you do like. However, you may need to change some portion sizes of those things, and some of those portion sizes may become so small they are hardly worth the bother of preparing or ordering. And, over time, you may discover some foods to add to the menu.

I suggest you start with the menu you eat right now, then use your meter to adjust it for better diabetes health. I give some details on ways to do that here: Test, Review, Adjust

Please read that, then come on over to the Adults Living with Type 2 forum to chat about it.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Occasional Visitor
razorback715

Thanks for the response.   I feel that not taking care of myself and constant poor eating choices in my 20s and 30s led to everything that is wrong with me.

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,827
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

razorback715 wrote:

Thanks for the response.   I feel that not taking care of myself and constant poor eating choices in my 20s and 30s led to everything that is wrong with me.

Well that could be. But it still had to be in you gene's for you to come down with diabetes.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Occasional Visitor
razorback715

Thanks Alan.   I'll admit a lot of my feelings right now stem from all these adjustments I've had to make.   I'm sure this will work out.   Honestly, portion control has helped  immensely in losing the weight I have.   I think that the main concern is over diet and heart as well as diet and diabetes.

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,473
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

razorback715 wrote:

Start with what you like to eat, and try to improve on it gradually.  Throw some spinach, mushrooms, chopped broccoli, or onions and/or tomatoes into the scrambled eggs.  Think green, and colorful.  You might even like the hot dogs made with seasoned soy products (check the natural foods section of the grocery for those and other things you might find intriguing.)  When I started switching to my new and totally different, but healthier, way of eating 13 years ago at age 55, I had to get many of the soy products at a health food store, but now they're right there in the grocery.  Throw some healthier things in the sandwich, if you can -- lean meat, sliced veggies, with low fat or fat free cheese, with a leaf of Romaine lettuce on the top and bottom.  Throw-in a bean or two.  You can use the bread to hold the sandwich together until you're ready to eat it.  Maybe have a bite, and toss the rest of the bread.  Eventually, you'll like the new stuff better, you won't need to eat as much, and your stomach and taste buds will adjust.  Don't forget the exercise.  Controlling diabetes is not just about the food.  Maybe you can build on the exercise you're already doing.  Please don't blame yourself, because it is certainly not your fault.  And, you're not dead, yet, Razorback.  You can learn to like new and different things -- especially when they will help keep you healthier and undead.  Grabbing a handful of fresh veggies and microwaving them in a little water in a big bowl only takes about 3 minutes.  Or just eat them raw.  Experiment with different seasonings and you should be able to come up with some new foods that are pretty inoffensive to you.  You may even grow to love them when you see the results they give you.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Visitor
razorback715

Thanks for the encouragement.  I appreciate it.

Advisor
mastratton
Total Posts: 92
Registered on: ‎12-09-2011

Welcome!

I'm new at this, too, just diagnosed with T2 last week.  Like you, I don't like most vegetables.  I'm from the midwest and I like the basics:  corn, peas, green beans (which you would probably pass on), tomatoes, cucumbers.  I love potatoes, too.  In my 1 week of dealing with this, here is what I have learned:

1.  I eat what I want.  If want a potato, I make sure that (a) I minimize the rest of the carbs in that meal so I don't double up and (b) I keep the portion small.   The other night, I really wanted some cookies, in the worst way.  And so, for my night snack, instead of having my customary apple (my favorite fruit of all time), I instead went to the pantry and pulled out both the Oreos and the Chips Ahoy cookies, found that the CA cookies were slightly lower in carbs, and so I had one serving of them.  Carbs are carbs, true, but I was able to eat what I wanted and still shave off a carb.

2.  I don't eat what I don't want.  I hate most vegetables.  Some, I only like uncooked (cauliflower, spinach, and broccoli, for example).  So, if I need or want to include them, then I eat them raw, I don't cook them.  And, as great as some them might be if I cook them, I can't eat them cooked, so I don't.

3.  Though it isn't to everyone's liking, I tried the create-your-plate strategy, and it works for me just fine.

4.  Portion control is a big, big deal. 

Now, those are things that I've found in just this past week alone that seem to work for me.  Those may not work for you.  But, you CAN eat the foods you like - you just need to control how MUCH of them you eat.  You might find that you can handle a slightly larger or smaller portion of pasta than another T2.  So, as you test (and I still need to get my glucometer and get on that), you'll be able to find the amount of carbs your body can adequately handle.

And, like you, I blame myself for being so out of shape that this happened.  But, I've learned that, really, the only thing my obesity and sedentary lifestyle did was likely make the diagnoses come sooner rather than later.  Should I have followed up better when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic?  Yes.  Could I control getting the disease?  No.  Can I take my life back and not only live my life but enjoy it as well?  Absolutely!  And for me, enjoying life includes foods I like.

Now, as one who likes to cook, I can tell you that some foods don't take a long time to cook, and if you make it, you can have meals for 3-4 days.  I love porkchops, and so when I make them (boneless, pork loin chops, trimmed of as much fat as I can), I make 4-6 at a time, and that'll be good for a few dinners and lunches, and it only takes like 20-30 mins depending on how you cook them.  If you like chicken, you could roast one (which isn't fast, of course) and then you'd have all sorts of meal options (but, toss the skin and fat!)  If you like meat, make sure you get the leaner cuts (I think I read on these boards somewhere that the "loin" cuts are the leanest or preferred or something.)

T2 requires a lifestyle change to be sure - but the foods you like are still there for you, just in smaller portions (and just how small will depend entirely on YOUR body's ability to process the carbs.)

Now, I'm still a newbie here, so I don't presume that my experience has any significance to anyone but me.  But hey, if even one of those things is useful to you (or anyone else for that matter), then I've done my part.

:-)

Mark

Diagnosed T2 on 12/7/22011
12/13/2011: A1C 8.6
1/19/2012: A1C 8.1
3/20/2012: A1C 5.9
6/18/2012: A1C 5.9
Metformin 500mg 2x day
Fenofibrate 200mg 1x day (high cholestoral/high triglycerides)
Lisinopril 10mg 1x day (hypertension)
zmamma
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

I am so confused!  In regard to the Superfoods, my dietician told me to stay away from grains and grapefruit.  What is right?