mollythed
Total Posts: 5,330
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Diabetes superfoods

zmamma wrote:

I am so confused!  In regard to the Superfoods, my dietician told me to stay away from grains and grapefruit.  What is right?

The problem with grapefruit is that it interacts with some prescription medications, and if you happen to take one of those medications, your dietician may have wisely told you to steer clear of grapefruit.  You can read more about the interaction problem in an article from the Mayo Clinic at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN00413.

A lot of us start out thinking that the key to managing diabetes is to stay away from sugar.  That's only partly true.  Both sugar and starch  are carbohydrates that will raise our blood glucose level.  We can eat some sugars and starches, but people with diabetes really need to limit the quantities they eat of each of those thing is, in addition to limiting sweets and sweet foods like fruit, we need to limit the starch that we eat. 

The biggest source of starch for most of us is....grains.  That means anything baked from flour, any pasta, rice, oatmeal, corn and any other grain.  When we DO eat grains, we are better off eating whole grains, with all the bran ground right into the flour, or left in the product for us to eat, because we get a better reserve supply of the nutrients and fiber found in the bran part of the grain.  You don't need to avoid all grains all the time, but when you think about eating bread or cereal or a cookie, a little light should go on over your head, even before you look up how many carbs are in the product,  that says, "Oh-oh, carbs.  I better find out how many before I decide to eat this, or to eat a lot of it."

When it comes to superfoods, you don't have to eat any of them, especially if they don't fit your budget.  It's just sort of interesting to know that they are foods that have a little extra nutritional boost that you may not know about, so they can be pleasant surprises or treats you might have ignored otherwise.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,751
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,227
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

zmamma wrote:

I am so confused!  In regard to the Superfoods, my dietician told me to stay away from grains and grapefruit.  What is right?

G'day and welcome.

First, congratulations on your choice of dietician. That is most unusual but very wise advice from a dietician to a newly diagnosed diabetic. I presume that is your situation?

Concerning grains, they are basically starches which are part of the carbohydrates family. Carbohydrates are the foods that raise your blood glucose levels. You don't have to avoid them completely, but you do have to do some research to find out what are the right portion sizes for you. That doesn't just apply to grains, it also applies to all the starches, sugars, fruits and other carbohydrates.

Concerning grapefruit, that is not only a carbohydrate but also reacts powerfully with certain drugs, especially statins like lipitor. Are you taking a statin?

Here are some ideas I put together to help you begin that process of discovering which foods you can safely eat (click on it): Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
Frequent Responder
savgigi
Total Posts: 528
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

zmamma wrote:

Grapefruit can interfere with some medications, so that may be why the dietitian told you to stay away from it. Grains have higher carb counts. They can certainly be included in a diet as long as you manage the amount you eat according to how your meter tells you your body responds. Many of us reduce the foods with grains rather than eliminate them totally. I eat sandwiches with 1 piece of bread instead of 2 by either making the sandwich open-face or I cut the bread in half to make my sandwich. I add beans to my salads. But you need to test to see how grains affect you personally.

Jeanie

I want to dance at my grandchildren's weddings. I want to live well and die peacefully in my sleep at the age of 110

T2; Dx 2/2009
Initial A1c 5.7; Current A1c 5.6
Metformin 500mg twice a day