Long Lost Member
Bluegalcc
Total Posts: 11
Registered on: ‎11-01-2010

Re: Diabetes Superfoods

Agree 100%....started food supplement last year and have felt much better....one I use is Unjury...

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,045
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Paulie05404 wrote:
For those who can afford checking more often, that's great, I try to maintain twice daily as this allows me to save some strips for extra checks when I'll, or suffering high bs

Use some of those strips to test just before and again at your peak after meals and you can learn to eat such that you avoid those hi BG numbers :smileywink: A well worthwile expense IMO and IME.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,395
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,371
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Paulie05404 wrote:
For those who can afford checking more often, that's great, I try to maintain twice daily as this allows me to save some strips for extra checks when I'll, or suffering high bs

This may help: Testing on a Budget

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Frequent Responder
spunky1938
Total Posts: 117
Registered on: ‎12-20-2012

Due to overfarming, herbacides, pesticides, etc. our soil is depleted and mineral-deficient. Because of that and personal experience, I've become a firm believer that high quality supplements are necessary. Before, I would go to places

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
20 units of long acting insulin in evening
A1c 7 diet/exercise
No drugs, no other health problems
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

Due to overfarming, herbacides, pesticides, etc. our soil is depleted and mineral-deficient. Because of that and personal experience, I've become a firm believer that high quality supplements are necessary. Before, I would go to places like
Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

Due to overfarming, herbacides, pesticides, etc. our soil is depleted and mineral-deficient. Because of that and personal experience, I have never become a firm believer that high quality supplements are necessary. Before, I would go to places like

I don't buy the above.  I have never taken a supplement in my whole life.  I am 74 years old and have been very healthy for my entire life, even with diabetes for over 20 years.   I have only eaten  whole foods, no processed foods.  It is the processed foods that are the problem.  The nutrients have been stripped from them and replaced with fat, sugar, salt and white flour.    Supplements can be dangerous, they interact with drugs and are unregulated.  Besides extracting
and concentrating a nutrient is not wise as nutrients work together in the body.  I would never take calcium for instance.  I eat a slice of gouda cheese everyday and other calcium rich foods.  Calcium supplements do not absorb well.

They end up in the blood vessels.  That is the cause of hardening of the arteries.  Gouda cheese has lactobicilus bacteria.  The little bugs make vitamin K2 which job is to take the calcium from the blood and put it in the bones and teeth.

Nature knows best.

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

sjselsky2 wrote:
What are your thoughts concerning the theory of blood-type dieting and diabetes?  I have the book and have read the recommendations for super beneficial foods, beneficial foods, Frequently eaten foods, Infrequently eaten foods, and foods to avoid.  I would appreciate any feedback.

Hi sjselsky2,

That whole book is a bunch of bull.  Our ancestor couldn't read and didn't know their blood types.  Yet here we are.   Nature knows best.     

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Established Advisor
nippers2
Total Posts: 382
Registered on: ‎02-11-2013

sandiegohealthnut wrote:
The Diabetes Superfoods article is a good list overall. I just want to challenge one thing mentioned at the beginning of the writeup: "There isn’t research that clearly points to supplementation, so always think first about getting your nutrients from foods."

Due to overfarming, herbacides, pesticides, etc. our soil is depleted and mineral-deficient. Because of that and personal experience, I've become a firm believer that high quality supplements are necessary. Before, I would go to places like Souplantation and eat 5 plates of salad and 4-5 bowls of soup because my body wasn't getting everything it needed. To tell people to get all their nutrition from food (which is inherently nutrient-deficient) and also saying that we should be mindful of eating modest portion sizes is creating a Catch-22 which is why I think most people in the U.S. have given up trying to eat right because the conflicting advice makes it feel like they're fighting a losing battle. Anyone else out there feeling frustrated and unsatisfied from their recommended eating plans?

I used to do the same thing, at their spin-off restaurant--  Sweet Tomatoes-- but it was more about overeating  in my case.  I still go there but now I limit my choices to mostly the green leafy veggies and very little salad dressings.  Sometimes the aroma of the fresh breads are overwhelming, but I fight back the temptation and just focus on the salads.

Responder
Donna_A
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎01-19-2010

Sweet Tomatoes is not available in Virginia, yet. I have had very good luck there with salad choices and protein. Are you able to take a half serving of the bread of your choice? 

jade513
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎04-17-2013

Yes I am. Can not use sugar alcohol. Raises my sugar. Having a hard time finding anything without sugar alcohol. Help