Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

Hi Molly,
That is i said but is what bothered me not knowing why. I know the calories is 150 per serving and the Total Carbs 35g but then where does it come from. That is why most doctors inform their patient to stay away from rice. It is crazy but thats the way they put it. I appreciate for your clarification. Now im learning more with you.
Occasional Visitor
bravo659
Total Posts: 187
Registered on: ‎07-10-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

Hi Molly,
I read somewhere and not from the ADA elsewhere mentioned that the complex carbs does not digest as fast as with simple carbs which takes a little longer to break down the sugar. But i do agree with you. I guess it depends on the metabolism and the ability to digest food quickly.
Long Lost Member
jeffrey61@btinternet.com
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎08-02-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

Long Lost Member
bhaveshgun@yahoo.com
Registered on: ‎08-11-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

Long Lost Member
2healthyrevs
Registered on: ‎08-20-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

Hi Alan,
I am new to this site. My partner was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May and we have been watching our carbs and eating a healthier diet.  I have recently purchased a juicer and have been juicing fruits and vegetables-- many of those included on the Superfoods list.  I was wondering if you (or anyone on the site) had any clue how to count the carbs per serving?  Does a juiced/liquified beet have the same number of carbs as a whole raw beet (for example)?  If I were to cook all of these vegetables, we would still be in the "zone" for the number of carbs allowed per meal.  However, if I use 4 apples in a recipe, does that mean I count it the same as if we were eating 4 apples?  I know this may sound silly, but I don't want to do anything that is supposed to be healthy and it ends up hurting her.

Thanks!
Leslie
Living every day filled with Hope, Peace, Joy, and Love!
Long Lost Member
pattyct
Registered on: ‎08-20-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

I find it surprising that citrus fruit is included on the list.  Citrus spikes my blood sugar.  I can only eat a few "boats" of an orange or grapefruit at a time.  The portion size is so small, it's not worth eating.  I'm better off eating a small apple.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,620
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Diabetes Superfoods

G'day Leslie

It's great to see the way you are helping your partner. But I may be about to rain on your parade.

I also owned a new juicer when I was first diagnosed. I enthusiastically made all sorts of good "healthy" juices, thinking that would be good for me. My favourite, from memory, was celery and carrot.

Then I read this advice for the first time (click on it): Test, test, test

One of the first things I discovered when I started following that advice was that I got horrible blood glucose spikes at my peak after juices. Not just after fruit juices - but also after almost all vegetable juices, especially my celery and carrot favourite.

I learned the hard way that juice is basically a concentrated version of the fruit or vegetable including all it's starches and sugars, but with the fibre removed. I gave my juicer away. However, that logic applies if you are counting the carbs; all the carbs that started in the vegetable or fruit are in the juice, minus the good fibre.

I still eat fruit and vegetables, but it is a lot easier to manage the portion sizes when I'm not consuming five or six portions at once in a glass.

I am not a believer in set carb portion sizes per meal, so I'm not sure what you mean by "in the zone".

As to how many carbs your partner should be eating, I suggest applying the technique on that link.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,075
Topics: 210
High Fives: 1,620
Solutions: 181
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Diabetes Superfoods

G'day and welcome Patty.

We think alike
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,473
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Diabetes Superfoods

I don't let that stop me.  I just cut the fruit up into as many wedges as possible (sharp paring knife is essential!), and put the extras in a ziploc snack bag for another time.  That way, I can eat just about anything -- as long as it doesn't spoil first, or I can do enough exercise (which I already do anyway, and not just for citrus fruit).  To me, it's worth it -- as long as I've "got it covered" -- controlling carbs with carb-counting and balancing with exercise.  I don't feel deprived, and can enjoy a wide variety of foods and antioxidants.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
1katikat
Total Posts: 17
Registered on: ‎09-16-2011

Diabetes Superfoods

I found a really good salt substitute at the health food store. I don't use much salt anyway but glad to find a substitute for it.